Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Re: Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Howdy Pards,

Ya know, one of my fondest memories of a visit to the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe happened...well...shucks...not that long ago. They used to have piece of chocolate cake in there that was...well...kinda historic in proportion you might say! The thing was huge!

Twernt one layer, or two, or three. Nope! Truth is, twernt even TWICE that! I can't rightly remember how many layers it had...but I think it was at least eight or ten. And they sure didn't cut it in any of these tiny little cuts either...they served a good sized chunk of cake. The thing was so heavy you had to hold the plate underneath to keep it from bendin'!

And, was it ever good too! Done to absolute perfection...moist, chocolate through and through, with the richest chocolate frostin' you'd ever hope to find on a cake!

Why...those politically correct eatin' police around these days would have a heart attack
    just lookin' at the thing!

Now...my Mama...and Dale Evans in Roy Roger's Rider's Club Rule Number 8...always taught me to finish all the food on my plate and never waste any. So...yep...that's what I did! I finished that huge piece of cake all by myself...and the memory of it has stuck with me all these years.

Any of you fellers ever have one of those huge pieces of cake in the Golden Horseshoe?
    Twernt that long ago...I don't think. Least wise I remember it like it was yesterday. And,
    come to think of it, I sure wish it was.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Howdy Pards,

Well, if that cake was one of my fondest memories, let's talk about Miss Betty's Heart shaped mirror. Now, there was a truly terrifyin' memory for men folks who were watchin' the show.

She'd come out on stage and start her musical number about findin' a good man and she had a way of shinin' that mirror on the face of just about every feller in the audience. Then, as if that twernt bad enough, she'd walk right down into the audience and start lookin'...

Now...turns out it was the fellers who didn't have much hair left that were in real danger.
    Cause, you see, she was really searchin' for one of them.

What would she do?

Well, she'd plant the biggest, red kiss smack dab on the top of their head! It was like she'd branded 'em or somethin'. Always got a roar from the crowd, especially if the feller's wife was settin' right there next to him...

It was all just part of the fun of course...but I can remember feelin' a might uneasy until
    Betty walked back up on that stage where she belonged...

My gosh, she was one special lady.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Bring back the Keelboats!

How funny! I was just wondering about that mirror a week or so ago. Wouldn't that be a great souvenir to have?

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    How funny! I was just wondering about that mirror a week or so ago. Wouldn't that be a great souvenir to have?
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

Well, I reckon that Mirror would be a true Disney Collectible... that's for sure! Why I've seen grown men actually shake and shiver with fear when Betty would bring that thing with her out on stage at the Ol' Golden Horseshoe...

But, if you are talkin' about that kiss on the top of the head...well, that's kind of a strange thing. Some fellers wore it around the park all day... like it was some kinda badge of honor...and I reckon the truth of it is, it was! They were branded and proud of it!

Other fellers who got "the kiss" had many, many pictures taken of their head before they
    even got up from their chair. Some wives even took a picture while Betty was kissin' their husband...

Some wives wouldn't let their husbands wipe the kiss off...I reckon they figured on usin' that kiss as evidence or somethin'...later on.

It was all in good ol' fashioned fun of course...makin' memories ya might say. Something that sure didn't happen to a feller every day...least wise it better not!

All part of the wonderful magic and fun that they called the Golden Horseshoe Revue.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

As we mentioned earlier on this thread the Walt Disney Studios recognized three performers from the good ol' Golden Horseshoe as Disney Legends back in 1995...seventeen years ago this year.

"The Disney Legends award has three distinct elements that characterize the contributions made by each talented recipient.
    The Spiral ... stands for imagination, the power of an idea.
    The Hand ... holds the gifts of skill, discipline and craftsmanship.
    The Wand and the Star ... represent magic: the spark that is ignited when imagination and skill combine to create a new dream."

Fulton Burley, Betty Taylor, and Wally Boag...put their hands in cement on that day...and those hand prints were later bronzed and appear in the Disney Legends Courtyard at the Burbank Walt Disney Studios.

All three performers have moved on to Heaven now...but their legacy lives on in the hearts and memories of all who saw them perform on stage at Disneyland's Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe.

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

I've been thinkin' back some lately of that very first visit Mom and Dad and I made to Disneyland. I reckon I was just a young whippersnapper myself back in those days.

I grew up in a rural area way up yonder in Michigan. Twas six miles to the nearest town...and in that town we had us a movie theater...where I enjoyed many Walt Disney movies as a young'un. We also had a 19 inch black and white TV back in those days.

As I think back now...I reckon it's true that I had never once seen a live stage show until that day we walked into the Golden Horseshoe.

You folks know how beautiful the place is...it sure was fancier than anything we had around where I grew up. And there was a live orchestra up there in front of that stage! Wow!

That first visit, as I recall, they had this feller leadin' the sing-along pre-show and, my gosh, he could play just about every musical instrument in the place...there was just somethin' magical about hearin' folks break out in "Let Me Call You Sweetheart", and "Take Me Out To The Ball Game." Kinda like church back home...but different.

And then, well, you can imagine my excitement as the show began... Those Can Can Girls started the show, of course...and, then, out came Betty. She was incredibly beautiful in her Victorian Gown and hat...I don't think I'd ever seen a lady so beautiful in all my life...then, she walked right up to the front of the stage and, without hesitation, started to sing!

Now, I had seen singers on TV shows of course, but never in person, live, on stage. And, let me tell ya...Betty could sing!

Then...out came Donald Novis...singin' those beautiful Irish songs without a note out of place.

It was already the best show I'd ever experienced in my lifetime...but, then, Wally Boag
    took the stage! The place filled with laughter. I'd surely never seen anybody as full of fun as he was... My cheeks hurt from smilin', my sides hurt from laughin'...

It was something downright wonderful...downright magical...and that wonderful show didn't cost us a dime to see...if you didn't count the large 25 cent Pepsi's we had ordered for the three of us...(75 cents total).

Yep. Some Disneyland memories last a lifetime. I'll never forget that first visit with Mom and Dad to the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe...to us...Disneyland truly was the Happiest Place On Earth.

God Bless those wonderful Golden Horseshoe entertainers who made so many of us common, ordinary, everyday folks so happy back in those Good Ol' Disney Days long, long ago...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    ... Those Can Can Girls started the show, of course...and, then, out came Betty. She was incredibly beautiful in her Victorian Gown and hat...I don't think I'd ever seen a lady so beautiful in all my life...

A lady was definately a lady back then.

Howdy Pards,

I've been thinkin' some on 4Apples4Disney's post earlier on...

What amazes me about these older photos, is that it's not just Disneyland history, but American history.
    That it was...well over half a century has passed now since Disneyland opened. Twernt much mor'n half a century before I was born that the cowboys were still pushin' cattle up the ol' Chisholm Trail from Texas. Time seems to be marchin' along...a whole lot faster than it used to when I was a young'un...yep, it surely is.

But, I sure am glad I was around to see the Golden Horseshoe Revue over a half century ago.

Thinkin' about it some, I reckon the trail behind me is a whole lot longer now than the trail up ahead. Those folks I saw up there on that stage so long ago are mostly all moved on to Heaven now...still, in my memories, it was only yesterday when Mom and Dad and I walked into the Golden Horseshoe for the very first time...

Reckon it was downright good of God to give us memories. Some of 'em seem to grow more and more valuable to a feller as time goes by. Pictures from the past form in my mind of the little mining town of Rainbow Ridge...of mule trains...and stagecoaches...and covered wagons...and, later that mine train out into the back country...of the good ol' Mark Twain Riverboat makin' it's way around the bend...

And, all these years later, I can't help but smile when I remember Wally Boag up there on that stage...when I remember that beautiful lady who called herself Slu-Foot Sue...when I remember that Irish feller singin' those beautiful songs...and those colorful can can girls kickin' up a storm.

I remember Mom and Dad too. They've both moved on to Heaven too, now. But, I remember 'em, and those wonderful vacations we took together travelin' down Route 66 to find that Magic Kingdom Walt Disney built way out there in Southern Californy...

Twasn't just Disneyland history...it was American History. I was there...I saw it...and I reckon it will always be a part of me. Talk about a blessing...I reckon I gotta whole mess of things to be thankful for scattered over sixty some years now...yep a whole mess of things.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Howdy Pards,

Well now...if you have ever seen the movie Calamity Jane...you know, the one with Doris Day in it...you might just recognize the saloon. Twas a feller named Harper Goff who designed that saloon set...and, yep, he was the same feller who designed the good Ol' Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland. Seems he may have just dusted off some designs he already had layin' around his office when Walt asked him to design the saloon in Frontierland...and, my gosh, it worked... I always think of the Golden Horseshoe as one of the true jewels of Disneyland...just like that beautiful Mark Twain riverboat out thar on the river.

Wild Ol' Dan

There was one more Fulton Burley joke as he was singing "Clancy Lowered the Boom" that we all got to sing along with the "Boom boom boom boom" part. (He would stop us and remind us it was, "Boom boom boom, not Bum bum bum...")
    The joke was that his "parents were always playing tricks on him. He'd go to school, come home, they'd moved."

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

About all the Golden Horseshoe needs to make it Perfect is a Sound System upgrade - hide a new set of distributed speakers over the stage, underneath the lower and upper deck ledges, and in the ceiling at the front and back of the house - so they can get the 50-year-old style Main Speakers out of the upper boxes and free them for more seating in the house. And make it sound even better, too.

Figure out how to hide some Stage Monitors out on the apron, too. Or in the box seats area aimed forward.

Amazing thing is, now they have these Delay Lines to make the ceiling speakers 5 milliseconds behind the Mains, and the side speakers 10 milliseconds later, and the rear hall mains 20 milliseconds, and the back wall 25 milliseconds - and then it sounds great no matter where you sit in the house.

(Timing Numbers pulled out of my nether regions, IANA Sound Reinforcement Engineer - But I know where to hire a few...)

Oh, and get them some better wireless mikes, so Gary isn't fighting the Feedback Monster (and losing ) all the time.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

I really miss this show. There was something also about having to get reservations for it that made it that much more special. We'd run to get a table up close. My parents would get us the GHR boot mugs with root beer in them. Oh what a treat! I remember Betty came out in the audience to find that "one guy" and sat in my dad's lap. Kissed his forehead and went on her way after a few jokes at my dad's expense. So good and such a blast. I do wish they would do some other revue show in there.

I have wondered about the saloon in Calamity Jane...thought for sure they filmed it at Disneyland! How wonderful to know the truth now. I feel honored to have seen Wally Boag and Betty Taylor perform when I was quite young. The mirror and teeth flying all over, stand out in my head the most. I remember thinking Betty Taylor was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen...oh, the nostalgia. Thank you for all of the fun memories and info about this amazing show.
    Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    My parents would get us the GHR boot mugs with root beer in them. Oh what a treat!
    I have one of those boots in the shelf right in front of me!

I remember getting picked up by one of them can-can gals and her giving me a kiss on the cheek! I don't really know how old I was, but at the time I was mortified by it...now I think back on it and it always makes me smile. I'm 34 now...not really sure when the Revue ended. Can anyone speculate as to how old I might have been at the time?
    -Marcus

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast