Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Judging from your age now, I'd say you were around 10 or younger. Does that sound about right? It has been a long, long time.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

One of the most excitin’ times of all, of course, was just before the Golden Horseshoe Revue was about to begin.

I remember one time we visited and they showed us to our seat and the waitresses were all busy gettin’ folks orders and things and suddenly, without warning, wherever they were at that particular moment every waitress in the place started singing! It was totally unexpected…and downright beautiful.

Now, you gotta understand, folks just don’t do that everyday from around where I come from. Truth is, they don’t do it at all. And to have all these beautiful voices just fill the room…I’m tellin’ ya folks it was...well...it was magical. Yep. Downright magical. That's what it was.

Who knew, even the waitresses in the good ol’ Golden Horseshoe were talented performers?

Lookin’ back…I suppose the whole idea of the thing was making memories…and they sure did that. I suppose that was mor’n 40 or 50 years ago now…and I still remember the magic of it all. Funny how just a few short moments in time can wind up stickin’ with ya for a lifetime. But, that’s what the Golden Horseshoe back in them days was all about…makin’ memories.

No wonder Walt loved that show so much…there was always somethin’ wonderful, something unexpected, delightful, somethin' mighty fine goin’ on in there… It was truly a highlight of any Disneyland day...and that's sayin' somethin'!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol’ Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 07-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Howdy Pards,

Did I hear one of you folks talkin' about drinkin' your Pepsi in the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe out of a boot?

Wild Ol' Dan

Howdy Pards,

Well, tomorrow, Tuesday, July 17th, 2012, the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe and all of Disneyland will be celebrating over 57 years of happiness, joy, music, and fun.

Remember, it was a few days before Disneyland opened that Walt and Lilly celebrated their Anniversary in the Horseshoe and on the Good Ol' Mark Twain.

So...Happy Birthday to those very special places in the place truly known to be "the happiest place on Earth!" Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom...Disneyland!

Wild Ol' Dan

Thank you Wild Ol' Dan for this education on the wonderful Golden Horseshoe! I thought I remembered an exciting show in there with a lady singer but I was so little I barely remembered it. Not too long ago I walked in there and got a strange sort of flashback that something better was there before. Now I know!

Also, July 17th 2011 was the day my husband and I got engaged at Disneyland so it will always be so special to us!

Howdy Gwenchanter,

Well, now, you know what happens to couples who are engaged at Disneyland don't ya? If you don't...let me tell ya: They live happily ever after! Congratulations!

Wild Ol' Dan

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I just took a few pictures of the boot Wild Ol' Dan was mentioning. Had to dust it off a little.... The date on it is 1986. Thought it went back further than that.

Name:  horseshoe3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  35.8 KBName:  horseshoe1.jpg
Size:  39.0 KBName:  horseshoe2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  37.5 KB

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    I just took a few pictures of the boot Wild Ol' Dan was mentioning. Had to dust it off a little.... The date on it is 1986. Thought it went back further than that.

Name:  horseshoe3.jpg
Size:  35.8 KBName:  horseshoe1.jpg
Size:  39.0 KBName:  horseshoe2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  37.5 KB
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

What a delightful souvenir of the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe! And...well...I don't know how to break this to ya, but 1986 was fully 26 years ago now...more than a quarter of a century! That boot has become a true Disney collectible... Thank you for sharing this wonderful Disneyland memory with us on the 57th Birthday of the Happiest Place on Earth...

Wild Ol' Dan

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Ya know, one of my fondest memories of a visit to the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe happened...well...shucks...not that long ago. They used to have piece of chocolate cake in there that was...well...kinda historic in proportion you might say! The thing was huge!

Twernt one layer, or two, or three. Nope! Truth is, twernt even TWICE that! I can't rightly remember how many layers it had...but I think it was at least eight or ten. And they sure didn't cut it in any of these tiny little cuts either...they served a good sized chunk of cake. The thing was so heavy you had to hold the plate underneath to keep it from bendin'!

And, was it ever good too! Done to absolute perfection...moist, chocolate through and through, with the richest chocolate frostin' you'd ever hope to find on a cake!

Why...those politically correct eatin' police around these days would have a heart attack
    just lookin' at the thing!

Now...my Mama...and Dale Evans in Roy Roger's Rider's Club Rule Number 8...always taught me to finish all the food on my plate and never waste any. So...yep...that's what I did! I finished that huge piece of cake all by myself...and the memory of it has stuck with me all these years.

Any of you fellers ever have one of those huge pieces of cake in the Golden Horseshoe?
    Twernt that long ago...I don't think. Least wise I remember it like it was yesterday. And,
    come to think of it, I sure wish it was.

Wild Ol' Dan
    I ordered a slice of chocolate cake from the Golden Horseshoe this past Sunday. I don't think it was the same as the one you're referring to, though. This one was sizeable, but not huge. It had four layers with some mouse and icing and was very rich. They served it with a large strawberry and a big helping of whipped cream on the side. It tasted decently good.

I never got to experience the Revue, but there's just something about sitting in there while eating a piece of cake with your eyes wandering around the inside. It's like you start to pick up on very good feelings that were once in the room. It feels like it was a happy place once upon a time.

Howdy Princess Victoria,

It's good to know you can still get a piece of chocolate cake in the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe...even though it may indeed be slightly smaller than the one I enjoyed some time ago. The one you describe sure sounds mighty fine to me.

It's like you start to pick up on very good feelings that were once in the room. It feels like it was a happy place once upon a time.
    Ahhh...Princess...that it was...that it was...

Wild Ol' Dan

• Minion

The movie "Calamity Jane," with the Harper Goff-designed saloon set that looks so much like the Golden Horseshoe, was on TCM the other night. I thought of this thread and smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

What a delightful souvenir of the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe! And...well...I don't know how to break this to ya, but 1986 was fully 26 years ago now...more than a quarter of a century! That boot has become a true Disney collectible... Wild Ol' Dan
    26 years ago???? How did that happen?

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

26 years ago???? How did that happen?
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

I know...I know...most of us just ain't got no idea how fast time is movin' till we look back and have to say exactly what you did, "26 years ago???? How did that happen?"

I got memories of Disneyland that stretch back over half a century now...memories of the Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe among 'em...and stagecoaches...and mule trains...and Indian Ceremonies...and the little minin' town of Rainbow Ridge...

I reckon memories of those visits long, long ago have become whatcha might call "high points" of my life...special times spent with Mom and Dad.

Funny how ya just don't realize how important those times really are until they are suddenly long, long ago. Then they seem to grow even more important with each passing day...with each passing year...

The lesson of all this I 'spose is cherish every minute of life...take lots of pictures...cause, they say, takin' pictures is "makin' memories"...

And, cherish that Golden Horseshoe boot of yours...it's mighty special.

Taint no slowin' down the clock or the calendar...so...I reckon all we can do is fill up the time we got with as many happy memories as we can.

Wild Ol' Dan

Wild Ol' Dan, it sounds like your memories and mine started around the same time! My family started going in 1962 - so this is my 50th anniversary of going to Disneyland! And yes, there are many wonderful memories. I can still remember my dad laughing all the way through the Matterhorn! I loved riding the mules - even though my mom was scared of them.

Even though it is not the Golden Horseshoe, here is a pic of my brother and me in a much-missed ride from the second year we went-1963:

Name:  DL_NancyMark1963.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  38.6 KB

Wild Ol' Dan, it sounds like your memories and mine started around the same time! My family started going in 1962 - so this is my 50th anniversary of going to Disneyland! And yes, there are many wonderful memories. I can still remember my dad laughing all the way through the Matterhorn! I loved riding the mules - even though my mom was scared of them.

Even though it is not the Golden Horseshoe, here is a pic of my brother and me in a much-missed ride from the second year we went-1963:

Name:  DL_NancyMark1963.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  38.6 KB
    Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

Yep, reckon we both got over a half-century of memories in the Happiest Place on Earth.

It sure looks to me like your brother and you are in the engine cab of the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland... Do you remember the mist of the waterfall at Cascade Peak? Those rocks that looked like they were gonna fall any second out there in those desert canyons? The geysers and mud-pots?

Funny how Disneyland seemed just as full of wonderful adventures back in those days as it is today. Although some of our absolute favorites are no longer there...many things have been added over the years...

Still...I find myself yearnin' for those good ol' days. There was just somethin' mighty special about those pack mules through the back country...

I wonder how many younguns these days would be brave enough to take off on the back of a mule for the very first time...leavin' Mom and Dad behind...for a long, long ride into mighty strange unknown country filled with wild critters and big rivers and waterfalls and fallin' rocks and such? Now there was an adventure! Yessirreebob!

Hard to believe it all happened so long ago...seems like only yesterday.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 07-18-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast