Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon the young whippersnappers around these days just ain't got no idea what things was like in the Good Ol' Days of Disneyland.

If ya told 'em you could once board a stagecoach or a covered wagon over there in Frontierland and head off into the backcountry of Disneyland they just wouldn't believe it.

I guess the truth of it is I thank my lucky stars that I was around back in them days when real Indians danced along the Rivers of America...and boy, let me tell ya, they sure had a real, rip-snortin' shindig over thar at the Golden Horseshoe back in those days! Yessirreebob! They surely did!

Of course, back in those days a nice lady named Slue Foot Sue ran the place. She had another name too...Betty Taylor. Boy, was she ever purty! And sing? You never heard such a wonderful singer! When she took that stage you knew you were lookin' at a mighty special lady. Yessir, mighty special.
    Course they always had a male singer on the show too. One of 'em was Mr. Donald Novis:

http://www.jansworld.net/images/Album-DonNovis.jpg
    Now...there was a feller who could make ya long for Dear ol' Donegal even though you had never been there. He could make ya believe in Leprechauns too, ya know? Ahhh...what a wonderful Irish tenor Mr. Novis was...

Then, of course, there were...well..."the girls". I hardly noticed them...well...maybe I noticed them a little...

Boy oh boy...what a show it was!

Then...about half way through the show, this feller showed up:

Wally Boag was his name...

This here feller was gonna make sure your sides was achin' from laughter by the time that show was over. And mine sure were.

Yep...the whole thing was called THE GOLDEN HORSESHOE REVUE. And, if you saw the show back in those Good Ol' Days of Disneyland, you remember it...taint no doubt about that.

Now, this thing ran forever in those early years...became the longest runnin' stage show ever by the time it was over.
    For the 10,000th performance Walt Disney filmed a special TV show to celebrate...and he brought in Gene Sheldon,
    http://www.jansworld.net/golden_hors...704.1020.A.jpg

Ed Wynn,

and a little lady named...uh...Annette to Guest Star on the thing...

That Mouseketeer was sure growin' up mighty purty...

Anyways, if you young whippersnappers would kinda like to get an idea what it was like you can watch that 10,000th performance show in the WALT DISNEY TREASURES collection's DISNEYLAND SECRETS, STORIES, & MAGIC set. Or, you can probably find it on YouTube if ya look hard enough.

Oh...those were the days...that show had a mighty special magic to it. I'll never forget sippin' on a large quarter Pepsi right smak dab in the center of the Ol' Golden Horseshoe and watchin' some mighty wonderful people perform. What's that? You don't believe a large Pepsi was a quarter? Well...take a look at this...

Anyways...this grizzled Ol' feller is forever gonna be grateful to all those who were involved in this classic Disneyland show...thank's Slue Foot Sue...I mean Betty...

Most all these folks have moved on to Heaven now, a few are still with us...God Bless 'em all. Those of us who had the privilege to see the show...back in those Golden days of the Golden Horseshoe will never, never forget.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: hotlinked pictures removed
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Fond Memories of the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Thank you for the wonderful memories of the Golden Horseshoe! My family loved the show and would catch it every time we went to the park. We met Betty Taylor giving a personal tour to some friends of hers once and she was so gracious. It must have been between shows as her hair and face were done up quite nicely. She invited us to come up to her dressing room any time we wanted to see the show and she would reserve a table for us. We took her up on her offer and got to say hello over the years. Once she had switched rooms and we got to meet Fulton Burley who said to "Come in" at the knock and realized he wasn't expecting my dad and me, a young teenager in tow, as he was just pulling up his costume trousers!

When we toured the Burbank Studio in January, we were pleased to see the casts' handprints and signatures in the "Legends Walk of Fame".

Here is a pic that is hanging in the Horseshoe now. A nice tribute!
    Name:  golden_horseshoe_pic.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  64.2 KB

And here are the hand prints from the Studio:
    Name:  golden_horseshoe_legends.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  44.3 KB

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Howdy HiddenMickeyBook,

Thank you right back for those wonderful memories you have. Ahhh...they truly were Disney Legends...

http://www.laughingplace.com/files/latest/20070511.jpg
    http://www.mouseclubhouse.com/ghs/fu...-tribute04.jpg
    FULTON BURLEY......................on the Golden Horseshoe Stage.

And...the sad thing is that when most young whippersnappers walk in the doors of the Golden Horseshoe today they just don't realize the wonderful history of the place.

http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/.../GHR-cast2.jpg

Our memories become more valuable to us every year I reckon.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: hotlinked pictures removed

• Seeker of Fun

What great pictures, thanks for sharing. What amazes me about these older photos, is that it's not just Disneyland history, but American history. Who knew that decades later I would sit in here and watch my kids clap and smile at Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. Great post...
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Minion

Thanks for this great thread and the terrific photos. Julie Andrews performed one time on that stage, didn't she? In promotion of Mary Poppins I think. I regret that I never did get to see the Golden Horseshoe Revue... my family simply bypassed it. Nor did I ever ride the Pack Mules, or watch the Indian dancers or ever go fishing on Tom Sawyer Island. I was at Frontierland in its glory days, but I never did those things and I regret it now.

• formerly very helpful

I don't think I ever saw the "original" show, but I saw a show that I think was in the same vein, but different. It would have been around 1986 or so, give or take. It featured the singing cowboys, can-can girls, and comedy. Like so many others, for years we just by-passed it. Never wanted to put the time into it, I guess. I was so happy the first time I saw it. What a show!
    I know they need to change things up from time to time, but it would be great if they could bring in a show like the original, with the cowboys and can-can girls. I remember while I watched it, it was so easy to make believe I was in the old west, and not an amusement park.
    No, we'll never have another Wally Boag or Betty Taylor, but we may just have one heck of a show.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    What great pictures, thanks for sharing. What amazes me about these older photos, is that it's not just Disneyland history, but American history. Who knew that decades later I would sit in here and watch my kids clap and smile at Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. Great post...
    Howdy 4Apples4Disney,

How right you are..."it's not just Disneyland history, but American history." The Golden Horseshoe Revue made history in a number of ways I reckon...

Kinda like the ol' Mark Twain circlin' those Rivers of America out front...did you know the Ol' Mark Twain Riverboat at Disneyland has carried more guests than any other steamboat in history?

I believe us old timers gotta share some stories with the youngun's of today...let 'em know a little about those good ol' days of long, long ago...about that history you talk about.

We gotta let 'em know about Wally Boag,

and that wonderful lady Betty Taylor...

and all the wonderful people we once saw perform...here...in the Happiest Place on Earth, live, on stage at the good Ol' Golden Horseshoe cafe.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.

• formerly very helpful

Speaking of history, The Golden Horseshoe also held (I don't know if it still does) the record for the longest running stage show in history.
    And it stuck around so long for a reason.

• Minion

I like that photo of the Mark Twain and Cascade Peak. That waterfall right by the boat was called Big Thunder Falls - and rightfully so, it was loud! The Mine Train went behind it, and I remember how loud it was. And you felt a very fine spray of mist in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Thanks for this great thread and the terrific photos. Julie Andrews performed one time on that stage, didn't she? In promotion of Mary Poppins I think. I regret that I never did get to see the Golden Horseshoe Revue... my family simply bypassed it. Nor did I ever ride the Pack Mules, or watch the Indian dancers or ever go fishing on Tom Sawyer Island. I was at Frontierland in its glory days, but I never did those things and I regret it now.
    Howdy Bob,

Yep...the one and only Julie Andrews, Mary Poppins herself, was on stage with Wally Boag at the good ol' Golden Horseshoe. Twas November 2nd, 1962. Those are the famous Dapper Dans in the background, by the way. It was a special "Press Only" event to promote...Mary Poppins. Wally and Julie and the Dapper Dans sang "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon".

They say that Wally performed in well over 40,000 shows on that stage during his lifetime...sure made a lotta folks happy.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I like that photo of the Mark Twain and Cascade Peak. That waterfall right by the boat was called Big Thunder Falls - and rightfully so, it was loud! The Mine Train went behind it, and I remember how loud it was. And you felt a very fine spray of mist in the air.
    Howdy Bob,

I remember that mist Bob...yep...I remember it well. Funny how that mist brings back some wonderful memories...all these years later.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 10:40 PM ----------

Howdy Pards,

Course, probably the very first historic event to happen at the Golden Horseshoe in Disneyland, happened just a few days before the park opened for the very first time...it was Walt and Lilly's 30th Wedding Anniversary. The date was July 13th, 1955. That's Lilly cuttin' the cake. Diane is behind her...and Sharon is holdin' Dad's hand.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

• Minion

Thanks for those 2 great photos. I've never seen a photo of Julie Andrews making an appearance there until now. And the Walt photo is so happy and joyous. Why can't we have fun times like that any more at Disneyland? Human interest events. Everything now is so prefabricated and predictable.

• Minion

So glad we can still hear Wally and Fulton over at the Tiki Room!

I got to go onstage with Wally a long time ago for one of his card tricks. I remember him saying, "Pick a card, any card," and then slapped my hand, "Not that one!"

I had a pack of Boag-A-Loons for a long time but lost it in one of my moves. And I got hit with the water pistols more times than I can count!

There was also a gunfight that used to be held before the show started. Stunt men actually fell from the roof onto the balcony.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

http://www.iaapa.org/industry/funwor...yBoagBetty.jpg
    Howdy Pards,

Yep. I reckon the truth of it is a whole lotta folks got "sprinkled with laughter" in the Ol'
    Golden Horseshoe over the years. When ya think about it, that thar was a mighty powerful squirt gun! Yep. It surely was. And, by then your sides were achin' from laughter anyways...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Yeah, we really used to get nailed by it when Betty would reserve one of the side boxes for us!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast