View Poll Results: Did You Like the Mad T Party?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - Loved my trip down the rabbit hole

57 55.34%
  • **** - Good, but not great

14 13.59%
  • *** - Neutral

9 8.74%
  • ** - Not a fan

12 11.65%
  • * - What the heck was that?

11 10.68%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Mad T Party Soft Opens - Photos and discussion

looks like fun wish i could have gone.funny the band didnt know till 12 today they were playing LOL, gotta love disney

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Found this video.

It doesn't show much, but it's still a video. lol
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

I have to admit seeing skeeball without tickets flowing out from it is really odd.

It all looks really great though! Can't wait to view it in person.

• Mickatey Mouse

Do we know what days they will be doing this on?

It's a mixed bag for me, only looking at pics. I love a lot of the elements, but some I just can't get past. The Male band member costumes, to me just look atrocious!!! I just can't get over that, it's just so bad, especially the Dee/Dum guys, they just look ridiculous. The Alice singer looks nice, but looks way too old to be portraying Alice. I haven't heard the music, so I'll hold off on that, but I prefer electronic music to oldies, so not so sure about that. Overall, I can't wait to experience this myself! It looks really cool! And better than I expected(I was hoping for something more classy/less rock and roll, but what can you do).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mickatey View Post
    Do we know what days they will be doing this on?
    It will be on the weekends only between now and June 15th! But from June 15th on, it will be nightly and the park will stay open until 11 from that point on too, so will last longer!

Anyone else thing it's funny/cool that they painted over the brickwork from Flynn's! Haha nice homage.

some pictures from my twitter that i took tonight. not the best, but another perspective, i suppose. most are of the prep prior to the start since my phone died.

one of the lantern covers fell down (due to wind?), some workers had to go up and remove it!
    Name:  AtxxGmrCAAADOFY.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  130.2 KB

plastic chairs (not the best material, but probably chosen for durability) are available in two separate sections
    Name:  AtyBxjRCMAEK4-n.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  99.4 KB

soundcheck! with the band pre-costuming... looking MUCH better, actually...
    Name:  AtyCdGlCMAAaCM-.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  104.8 KB

the dj setup in the teacup...
    Name:  AtyFxEsCIAA6igX.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  112.4 KB

the first official performance from the band, journey's "any way you want it" followed by wang chung (blech)...
    Name:  djkltf.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  79.8 KB

the countdown begins! the clock ticks away three mintutes prior to the pre-show (with bouncers dee and dum)
    Name:  x9bpr.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  73.6 KB

mad hats and track jackets for the cashiers!
    Name:  Atx0CExCMAAJlra.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  148.2 KB

the stopwatch is a large lcd screen. kinda cool.
    Name:  Atx3uffCEAApDmr.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  159.0 KB
    costumed cast members walking around HPB passing out fliers and spreading the word
    Name:  AtxxJGoCAAEfEsq.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  181.6 KB

another view of the missing cover on the lantern
    Name:  AtxyW_iCMAE1JIl.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  146.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

so i'm trying to piece together my thoughts on the mad t party still... there were things that i thought were great, but there were definitely things that i felt didn't work. a lot of this is kinda basically what i wrote on twitter, but put into paragraph form, so it's kind of jumbled, but here goes:

the excitement around the opening tonight was great! people were there early awaiting (myself included), there were tons of cast members running around with high energy looking to make sure everything was prepped. the costumed cast members that were walking around HPB inviting people to the party were excellent. i gotta say though, the first thing i thought when i saw them was, "wow, the costumes are just as bad as the concept art led us to believe." but after seeing them walking around all night, they kinda grew on me.

the idea of a live band is excellent! unfortunately, an outdated playlist runs the risk of ruining it. as much as i love some of the songs they played, i didn't feel they fit. wang chung? kc and the sunshine band? alongside songs by bruno mars and lady gaga? it felt very disjointed, and honestly, the crowd was pretty deflated every time the band went on (just my opinion, maybe, but i don't think so... at times when the band was saying they were ready to leave, people started to cheer). the songs that did work worked well (alice covering no doubt, moves like jagger seemed to be a decent hit, bruno's "runaway baby"). this leads me to believe that they really should focus on covering recent songs if they want to keep it going.

the atmosphere and the audience of the mad t party clear favored the DJ. when the DJ came on, everyone got excited, the younger crowd went crazy and everyone was actually dancing and having a good time. as with elecTRONica before it, the beats sound amazing on the sound system. but then when it's time to bring the band out again, well, that energy just kind of fizzles. it's almost like the band is there as filler to give the DJ a break.

as it is, the band and DJ seem to trade 30-minute intervals, but towards the end it seemed like the band ended up doing 20-minute stints and the DJ sessions went longer and longer. fine by me. i hope the numerous suits in attendance were paying attention to crowd reaction.

one other thing i don't like about the potential for the band is their limited setlist. during the first two sets, they did a "rock" remix of "the unbirthday song." TWICE. repetition this early on? not good. plus, there's only so many songs they probably learned. if i'm planning to go see the show several times, they're always going to be playing the same 20 or so songs over and over, while a DJ has really hundreds, if not thousands of songs to make a playlist from. i guess this just works against APers who are generally the repeat crowd... but they're a large part of who makes up the attendees.

when the sun finally set, the place looks amazing. i don't think anyone can deny that. that's certainly something the mad t party has going for it. i think they definitely put a lot into the design of it and it shows. it's just the little things here and there that should/could be reworked to make it even better.

Name:  cu9jr.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  106.0 KB

I was there for about 20 minutes after dark and was blown away -- I've gotta say though, it's not really fair to be "reviewing" it yet. It was a soft opening, which is essentially like a preview. There were easily 20-30 designers, tech staff and execs there, and I can guarantee that it will be adjusted quite a bit before its official opening date.

• Banned User

"I've gotta say though, it's not really fair to be "reviewing" it yet." Really? Why not? It's open. Plain and simple. Review away, 100% fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamagineer View Post
    I was there for about 20 minutes after dark and was blown away -- I've gotta say though, it's not really fair to be "reviewing" it yet. It was a soft opening, which is essentially like a preview. There were easily 20-30 designers, tech staff and execs there, and I can guarantee that it will be adjusted quite a bit before its official opening date.
    good point! that is definitely true! i hope they did get good feedback from guests (it seems there were plenty of people around asking guests questions, i assume about the event).

it's pretty crazy how PACKED it was for a soft opening. i guess word does really get around quick with these things.

Soft opening or not -- I hate it. I would not allow my kids anywhere near it. I think it is totally inappropriate for a Disney Park. Yes, I made these judgements from the few photos here, on the Disney parks blog and from the video posted here. Don't think fine tuning it will change my mind any.

just thought i'd share a few more pictures...

had to make sure to grab some of these! mad t party coins from the mad arcade. they'll go nicely alongside the ones from flynn's... so far only in gold. i got some from both machines just to see if each had a different color. not yet, at least.
    Name:  arcadecoins.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  88.2 KB

next to the coins is the "invitation" that the cast members were handing out to guests. it's basically a small flyer with the T on the front and information/advertisement for the mad t party on the back.
    Name:  invitation.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  161.2 KB

that's about all i got in terms of pictures. there were so many people taking pictures all night, i can't wait to see what some others are going to post of nighttime t party shots. the place looked great!

• ---------------

Still not sold.
    Looks like something you need to see in person.
    Cheesy, but the names for the games are sorta cute..... "Kings Court" (basketball), Queen's Croquet (Skee ball).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast