Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Suspended

Question Does the Grand Californian ruin the scale?

First off let me say I have never been inside DCA.

I know that Disney employs the technique used as forced perspective to make the buildings seem larger and they gradually get smaller as they continue on. Main Street uses this technique as does the hotel that is located in Canada at Epcot.

Does the Grand Californian impose too much into the Grizzly Peak area? Does it dwarf the desired scale of Grizzly Peak?

If it was designed to fit with the scale of the land, shouldn't it have been made much smaller because in theme parks nothing is real life scale yet there is a huge hotel intruding in the land. Or do you not notice it?

I know TDS has the Hotel MiraCoasta which is a full sized hotel but it must work because they have the huge bay in front of it whereas in DCA the land is much more compact.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Just wondering.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Does the Grand Californian ruin the scale?

To put it simply: no, I've never noticed this as a problem. Grizzly Peak is to your left if coming from the front of the park as you walk between the two and a good distance away from the hotel structures on the right, and the hotel is disguised by landscaping, fences/boundaries, trees, and even the Challenge Trail in the way of seeing the whole thing, and the whole structure is not aligned to be seen from inside DCA: only one side of a guest room wing and portions of the Napa Rose/Whitewater Snacks.

They are too far physically removed from each other to be seen much in relation/size comparison.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

I guess some people may disagree, but the Grand Californian doesn't ruin the scale for me at all. In fact, I like the fact that it can be seen from the Grizzly Peak area. It reminds me of walking through Yosemite and seeing the Lodge or Awhahnee Hotel in the distance behind the trees. Love that area. One of my favorites in DCA.
    Because Bert Said So!

• Dream in wonderful color!

No, it doesn't. That area is heavily covered with trees so in some cases you can't even see the hotel behind the thick brush. I like that the hotel complements the theme and actually enhances the overall look of the GRR area.

Quote Originally Posted by planetsix View Post
    I guess some people may disagree, but the Grand Californian doesn't ruin the scale for me at all. In fact, I like the fact that it can be seen from the Grizzly Peak area. It reminds me of walking through Yosemite and seeing the Lodge or Awhahnee Hotel in the distance behind the trees. Love that area. One of my favorites in DCA.

Exactly my thoughts! The hotel makes everything look even nicer because you feel like you're out in the wilderness somewhere with a nice lodge nearby. They fit together seamlessly.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Minion

If you look at an aerial view looking down, you can really see how much real estate the Grand Californian eats up. They could have put an entire land there. If they had wanted in-park hotel rooms, they could have built multi-use buildings in the same style with park features (shops, restaurants or attraction show buildings) on the ground floor, and hotel rooms above them. They could have expanded Golden State had a land based on Yosemite, Sequoia, the Gold Country and the Sierra Nevada there. Instead they gave a huge amount of prime real estate to one hotel.

• Under that tree again!

The Villa wing is a small problem when viewed from Paradise Pier. Not out of scale but has a conflicting theme.

• Disneyland Man

I would have hidden the Indiana Jones building with it instead....and given a Critter Counrty access from the Craftsman theme into Disneyland too.. (honestly, the whole GCH/Grizzly corner has always been pretty boring inside and out.) The Mira Costa is an amazing experience.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

I may be biased (OK, I am biased...GCH is one of my all-time favorite hotels)...but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm gonna agree with planetsix here - one of my favorite spots in the park is where GCH meets Grizzly Peak. =)

Your mom ruins the scale.

(sorry just watched Napoleon Dynamite)

Odd as it may seem the hotel adds a lot to that area... One of the nicest spots of DCA 1.0

^ LOL!!!

Anyway, back on topic... I don't think it ruins the scale really, and as some other poster said, it adds sort of a secure feeling to the area. (Altough I agree it eats a lot of real estate).

However, the one that really bugs me is the Paradise Pier Hotel. Paradise Pier has become such a nice, beautifully themed area. And that big thing just ruins it for me sometimes. Oh well.
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

Perhaps they can change the look of the hotel to fit, although back in the 1920s, I don't think there were a lot of hotels that tall. Maybe they should make it look like a 1920s new york building or something.

GCH doesn't cause a problem with scale at all. It actually fits the grizzley peak area. In fact there is not a lot of scale at DCA, its pretty much there. They were not trying to get rid of the outside world when the made the 1st go round. Now they seem to be trying to though, which goes back to my idea about themeing Paradise Pier Hotel to look more 1920sish...

No matter what they do, I can still see the power lines and the convention center. Maybe they should put up a big fake sky like toon town.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If you look at an aerial view looking down, you can really see how much real estate the Grand Californian eats up.
    This is one of my two favorite Disney Hotels outside of WDW--the other being the value Hotel Cheyenne at Disneyland Paris.

My daughter and I have had some nice times in that most beautiful lobby, listening to piano players and story tellers while sitting in thick, leather rocking chairs (some child sized, but =ly nice) by the fire--and we've never even stayed there!

From the air it does look like it took an unfortunate bite out of DCA park space, though it doesn't feel like that to me when I'm in the park. Rather it feels like an extension of DCA to me, and with its own DCA exit open to the public, we can really get away from DCA's crowds and into the Disney Resort's best (often uncrowded!), CA theming.

When I started taking my daughter to Disneyland when she was 14 months old, she'd fall asleep in the stroller and I'd wheel her into the Grand Californian Lobby and enjoy a beverage while reading a novel as she slept. Since I had brought the beverage from home, this didn't cost extra and was close enough to heaven to me. So thanks for that, Michael Eisner.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Disney View Post
    However, the one that really bugs me is the Paradise Pier Hotel. Paradise Pier has become such a nice, beautifully themed area. And that big thing just ruins it for me sometimes. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Now they seem to be trying to though, which goes back to my idea about themeing Paradise Pier Hotel to look more 1920sish...
    I wouldn't be sad if they leveled the PPH and built something better in it's place. The wave themeing and colors used to match Paradise Pier quite well. The Pier has grown into something much better and the PPH does not compliment it well anymore.

• Sleepy...

Doesn't really have an effect on its surrounding area. Like what planetsix said, it kind of reminds me of those luxury hotels in the middle of Yosemite. What annoys me in DCA is the Paradise Pier Hotel. It just stands there as a backdrop to PP (it's not even a good backdrop either). The building is just a box overlooking a nicely pier/bay. I hope they do something about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast