Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

Maybe because nothing they have done there has been any good, since Space Mountain in 1977?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

I agree Tomorrowland has gotten small continous upgrades and retouch ups over the past 5 years alone, they have been updating it but just not in a grande fashion like they had to do for DCA.

To add to Choco Choco list
    1998 -- New Tomorrowland
    2005 -- Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
    2007 -- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    2010 -- Captain EO
    2010 -- Star Tours II
    Repaving Project
    Landscaping
    Repainting/Refurb of Tomorrowland Stage
    Refurb of Spinning world of death.

I honestly believe if they just bring back something on the people mover track, it would be a overall greate area.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Minion

You're also forgetting the 2-year Space Mountain refurb in 2003-2005 and the Autopia refurb including combining the tracks in 2000.

I choose to be optimistic about things like this. I don't expect Disney to have an infinite amount of money, time, and resources, so I expect prioritization. I am beyond thrilled with CL and BVS, which was not cheap. I don't think they are waiting to theme everything to a specific movie because BVS is in no way themed to a specific movie. I think they are trying to strike a balance--CL is movie-themed and kid-themed, BVS is period-themed and adult-themed. I also think they are trying to strike a balance between the two parks. DCA needed the overhaul much more than TL. If your resources are finite, you have to make choices somewhere. I think TDA is doing a great job.

•   
    • Minion

money plain and simple with all the space it takes up it needs something more than what is presented today.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Maybe because nothing they have done there has been any good, since Space Mountain in 1977?
    To call that statement a minority opinion would be the understatement of the year.

• Disneyland History Lover

Tomorrowland has actually changed more than any other land over the course of the last decade and a half. For better or for worse, these are the differences I can think of:

1. Rocket Rods- Closed. Replaced with nothing. -1

2. NASA exhibit- Closed. Replaced with FastPass machines for Buzz Lightyear and then Star Tours II. -1

3. Autopia - Rebuilt. Tracks combined, new cars installed.+1

4. Innoventions- Mitt Romney's House of the Present. +1

5. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience- Closed. (Re)replaced by Captain EO. 0

6. Rocket Rods queue- Closed. Replaced by Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. +1

7. Spinning rock- Received new landscaping.+1

8. Star Tours- Refreshed as Star Tours II.+1

9. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage- Opened. Replaced nothing. +1

10. Space Mountain- Rebuilt, with two new temporary layovers. +1

11. Tomorrowland Terrace Stage- Rebuilt and rethemed. +1

12. Monorail- New trains installed. +1

13. Tomorrowland resurfacing- A work in progress? (Personally, I don't think they're done until all the TL '98 pavers are gone.) +1

14. Astro Orbiter- Repainted and repaired. (Well, it was fixed for a little while, and then it quit working again.)
    +1

15. Tomorrowland Terrace- Kitchen refurbishment, new menu +1

16. Tomorrowland Paint Job- PM tracks, Innoventions, planters, Subs/Monorail queues repainted. (I dislike the new paint job, but still, it's a change, and for the better.) +1

As you can see, there have been quite a few significant changes. Whether or not I or we as DL fans agree with all of these changes is a different matter, but I think we can all agree that the positive changes and additions are at least improvements. Sure, losing Rocket Rods and the NASA exhibit were negatives. And Captain EO wasn't really anything new; just something new to younger people and new visitors.

I think what Tomorrowland has lacked (and continues to lack) is a cohesive, unifying theme that brings it all home. Attractions is only part of it. It matters not that Buzz exists or that Nemo is swimming around the Sub lagoon. The fact that TL is lacking a theme as a whole is what makes it feel like a wasteland. You have the newly-refurbished blue-ish Star Tours on one side (which looks astounding), silvery-blue Buzz on the other end (which is somewhat similar, yet very different as well), the metallic silver PM tracks, the orange Captain EO building, white Space Mountain, metallic silver Innoventions, red and green Pizza Port, tan Tomorrowland Terrace, bluish Finding Nemo and Monorail queue, aqua and tan Autopia, brown and tan Railroad station, and the mulit-colored Astro Orbiter at the front of the land. How in the heck do all these colors tie the land together? Even now, I have to wonder why on Earth they decorated the interior of The Star Trader the way that they did. It's like a representation of the Tomorrowland outside the door, but in one shop. What is the unifying theme of the whole thing? I'm not saying that everything should look the same or that everything needs to be the same color, just that there needs to be something conjoining everything under one umbrella. That, I think, is what the fans are asking for. And of course, some solid new attractions wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Princess Victoria; 05-27-2012 at 11:13 AM.

• Minion

That was a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by princess victoria View Post
    tomorrowland has actually changed more than any other land over the course of the last decade and a half. For better or for worse, these are the differences i can think of:

1. Rocket rods- closed. Replaced with nothing. -1

2. Nasa exhibit- closed. Replaced with fastpass machines for buzz lightyear and then star tours ii. -1

3. Autopia - rebuilt. Tracks combined, new cars installed.+1

4. Innoventions- mitt romney's house of the present. +1

5. Honey, i shrunk the audience- closed. (re)replaced by captain eo. 0

6. Rocket rods queue- closed. Replaced by buzz lightyear's astro blasters. +1

7. Spinning rock- received new landscaping.+1

8. Star tours- refreshed as star tours ii.+1

9. Finding nemo submarine voyage- opened. Replaced nothing. +1

10. Space mountain- rebuilt, with two new temporary layovers. +1

11. Tomorrowland terrace stage- rebuilt and rethemed. +1

12. Monorail- new trains installed. +1

13. Tomorrowland resurfacing- a work in progress? (personally, i don't think they're done until all the tl '98 pavers are gone.) +1

14. Astro orbiter- repainted and repaired. (well, it was fixed for a little while, and then it quit working again.)
    +1

15. Tomorrowland terrace- kitchen refurbishment, new menu +1

16. Tomorrowland paint job- pm tracks, innoventions, planters, subs/monorail queues repainted. (i dislike the new paint job, but still, it's a change, and for the better.) +1

as you can see, there have been quite a few significant changes. Whether or not i or we as dl fans agree with all of these changes is a different matter, but i think we can all agree that the positive changes and additions are at least improvements. Sure, losing rocket rods and the nasa exhibit were negatives. And captain eo wasn't really anything new; just something new to younger people and new visitors.

I think what tomorrowland has lacked (and continues to lack) is a cohesive, unifying theme that brings it all home. Attractions is only part of it. It matters not that buzz exists or that nemo is swimming around the sub lagoon. The fact that tl is lacking a theme as a whole is what makes it feel like a wasteland. You have the newly-refurbished blue-ish star tours on one side (which looks astounding), silvery-blue buzz on the other end (which is somewhat similar, yet very different as well), the metallic silver pm tracks, the orange captain eo building, white space mountain, metallic silver innoventions, red and green pizza port, tan tomorrowland terrace, bluish finding nemo and monorail queue, aqua and tan autopia, brown and tan railroad station, and the mulit-colored astro orbiter at the front of the land. How in the heck do all these colors tie the land together? Even now, i have to wonder why on earth they decorated the interior of the star trader the way that they did. It's like a representation of the tomorrowland outside the door, but in one shop. What is the unifying theme of the whole thing? I'm not saying that everything should look the same or that everything needs to be the same color, just that there needs to be something conjoining everything under one umbrella. That, i think, is what the fans are asking for. And of course, some solid new attractions wouldn't hurt either.
    well said

• Minion

Unifying theme? On July 17, 1955, Walt dedicated Tomorrowland as, "A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man’s achievements. A step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals, the atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful and unified world." And I think that is still on a plaque at the entrance.

• Down Pluto!

What do I think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

Clearly - not having any new Pixar characters.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    1998 -- New Tomorrowland
    2005 -- Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
    2007 -- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    2010 -- Captain EO
    2010 -- Star Tours II

No land has gotten more attention than Tomorrowland has in the past 20 years. And it doesn't look likely to change, as all signs point to the new expansion being there as well. I'm baffled as to why people always think it is Tomorrowland's turn again...
    But the fact remains its is the plainest area in Disneyland....nothing really Tomorrow about it look either.....it's a land I want to like should like but don't because it is just boring to walk through....it makes me feel like I'm at a theme park......not like how Adventureland has small little details that make you feel like your in a city near a jungle...or how beatiful the view from Critter country is to the rivers of America...or even tells a story like Main Street....it has none of that...its generic, has no story to tell and the rides/theme are only linked by name alone

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    What do you think is stopping them?
    Lack of long-term vision.

Really, lack of any vision beyond hyping the latest hit movie.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    On July 17, 1955, Walt dedicated Tomorrowland as, "A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man’s achievements. A step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals, the atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful and unified world." And I think that is still on a plaque at the entrance.
    THAT is the quote I've been looking for for this thread. This vision is what is missing from Tomorrowland today...there is no place for the "hope and promise of the future." Its not a cohesive land in any sense anymore. I agree part of this is the result of the refurbs on one attraction one year and another attraction 5 years later, etc. But mostly Walt's original vision is long gone and that is the problem we sense with Tomorrowland. If Tomorrowland represents the future then someone please put me out of my misery before its too late...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    What do I think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

Clearly - not having any new Pixar characters.
    Not having any new Pixar characters didn't prevent them from building Buena Vista Street.

• Lighting Design Lover

Basic business unfortunately. The original theme of Tomorrowland is one that dictates constant upgrades and overhauls:

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man’s achievements. A step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals, the atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful and unified world."

If you actually want to achieve such a world in a fast paced technological society, you have a be one step ahead of society, and with the speed which we currently travel the money required to do that is not something that Disney company seems willing to spend. In my opinion this is the reason for the trend over the last few decades to replace attractions that actually focus on the tangible future of the human race and technology with ones that portray science fiction versions of a far off space centric future. These later attraction are so fictionalized that they have a better chance of remaining in the sphere of tomorrow longer if not indefinitely, even if they portray a future or technology that is wholly intangible to human technological progress at the current time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast