Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    But the fact remains its is the plainest area in Disneyland....nothing really Tomorrow about it look either.....it's a land I want to like should like but don't because it is just boring to walk through....it makes me feel like I'm at a theme park......not like how Adventureland has small little details that make you feel like your in a city near a jungle...or how beatiful the view from Critter country is to the rivers of America...or even tells a story like Main Street....it has none of that...its generic, has no story to tell and the rides/theme are only linked by name alone
    It was certainly "tomorrow" when Walt built it...

Here's the thing I think about Tomorrowland. I saw a post earlier in the thread about a refurb being a foot traffic nightmare. NEWSFLASH Tomorrowland already IS a foot traffic nightmare. Have you ever tried to walk between Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear on a crowded day? Dear God almighty, help us. Not as bad as Adventureland by Jungle Cruise and Indy, but it's still BAD. I personally LOVE Tomorrowland, but it IS in need of some help. However, I think they should focus on more neglected areas first.

• Minion

From 1955 to 1966 Tomorrowland was kind of a grab bag of individual elements. With the opening of the "New Tomorrowland" of 1967, it finally had the look and feel of a "city of the future."
    And then in 1977, of course Space Mountain was the final piece of the puzzle. They could have left it like that, making updates from time to time. Star Tours should have replaced Mission to Mars, since they are both flight simulators, instead of replacing Adventure thru Inner Space.

• some assembly required

Look at the history of TL. It was doomed from the start. What Walt wanted will never be achieved due to cost. The 1967 make-over doomed it to fail again (1986 was their goal right?) 1998 didn't do much aside from adding some paint/FX/refurb to cover up the out-dated concept.
    They will never be able to keep up with the future, or even the fictional future. They had a chance to try a retro-future, but then got rid of half the old-school attractions!!!

Oddly enough, this is my least fave land with one of my most fave rides (Space). IMO, just turn it into a "Discoveryland" and it will hold its' own for decades to come.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I find it interesting that people always seem to note the lack of a cohesive vision for Tomorrowland, but then have no problem with breaks from the cohesiveness of other lands. Are not the attractions of Tomorowland fun?

Tomorrowland just doesn't feel like a vision of the future to me. Tomorrowland feels like an outdoor shopping mall from the late 90's.

• Halloween 2011

I can't say I'm surprised that Innoventions and its various refurbishments have been left off of everyone's list.

That said, the other obstacle facing a re-do of Tomorrowland is corporate sponsorship. Kinda hard to switch Autopia to electric vehicles when it is sponsored by Chevron. And Microsoft just entered into a sponsorship in Innoventions in 2008, so they're not likely to go anywhere soon. And the Carousel Theater is one thing that all blue-sky Tomorrowland ideas include: either razing it for a new attraction of making it over entirely.

• Pilot EdForceOne

TL is a land of popular attractions but disappointing connecting tissue. It doesn't help DL's has lots of leftovers from the miserable TL98 issue.

TL gets pointed out because it is one of the lands that has fallen the farthest since it's heyday in the 60s in terms of land, but in terms of attractions it is just as good as any other.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    TL is a land of popular attractions but disappointing connecting tissue. It doesn't help DL's has lots of leftovers from the miserable TL98 issue.

TL gets pointed out because it is one of the lands that has fallen the farthest since it's heyday in the 60s in terms of land, but in terms of attractions it is just as good as any other.
    Totally agree. In fact TL's attractions are better than most other "lands". They just got to find a cohesive way to connect the dots and eliminate the eyesores. About 800 million should cover it.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    From 1955 to 1966 Tomorrowland was kind of a grab bag of individual elements. With the opening of the "New Tomorrowland" of 1967, it finally had the look and feel of a "city of the future."
    One question, what happens if Disney revamps the entire Tomorrowland according to the "City of the Future" concept again...and you hate their vision of the City of the Future? It's a city you would never want in your future, what are you gonna say then?

• Minion

I'm gonna say, "Nope, start over." If Tomorrowland's attractions are better than most other lands, but there is no common theme among them, they should just rename it to Miscellaneousland. The park is not just about the attractions, it's also about the experience of being there in the park and in the lands. "The park is the ride." What's the point of having a separate land for that set of attractions, if there is no theme for that land?

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm gonna say, "Nope, start over." If Tomorrowland's attractions are better than most other lands, but there is no common theme among them, they should just rename it to Miscellaneousland. The park is not just about the attractions, it's also about the experience of being there in the park and in the lands. "The park is the ride." What's the point of having a separate land for that set of attractions, if there is no theme for that land?
    Sorry, Fantasyland already has that title.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Quote Originally Posted by twisty77 View Post
    It was certainly "tomorrow" when Walt built it...
    Yes, I agree. And that is part of the problem. Back then the country was optimistically looking forward to getting a man on the moon. This year we ended the space shuttle program.

Everything about TL screams "retro" to me, which doesn't bother me entirely. There is no more future in space anymore as I said. Even Star Tours (which I love) is retro to me because I was a kid going to see the first Star Wars movie in a real movie theater way back when.

Also have you noticed that in Walt's time, technology was something that could either save us or make our lives simpler? Nowadays, our movies show how the robots we made are eventually going to try and eradicate us (Terminator... Transformers...etc...) And that is only if we survive the global warming with the little polar bears floating on a slab of ice. Our context of the future has really shifted. Our world is generally apprehensive of the future. I am only guessing that imagineering a land of the future that is optimistic, uplifting, and entertaining is a significant challenge. Perhaps that is holding them back.

I hope the future of Tomorrowland (yes a pun) is worked out. I think of it as cool retro as much as possible because I like to maintain positive and supporting attitudes about my Disneyland. But once my favorite rides are done I am outta there. I walk across the park to go sit on a bench in New Orleans Square where I enjoy myself most.

Well whatever they do end up doing with Tomorrowland, there will need to be a consensus among WDI that the current design is not a permanent design. The future is a moving target. Public perception of the future changes substantially every ten years or so. In one decade the future might be private highway vehicles and flying cars. In another decade, the future is all about conservation and mass transit. In the decade after that, it might be about colonizing other planets.

Point is, Disney has to be willing to change their vision of the future; and I don't mean just painting Space Mountain a different color. I mean leveling buildings, and in some cases starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    Everything about TL screams "retro" to me, which doesn't bother me entirely. There is no more future in space anymore as I said. Even Star Tours (which I love) is retro to me because I was a kid going to see the first Star Wars movie in a real movie theater way back when.
    See, I wouldn't have a problem with a truly "retro" Tomorrowland, assuming the design of the land was consistent. Right now there's a lot of retroness from the 60's, and over here there's retroness from the 70's, and over there is very 80's, and the entrance is very 90's. Tomorrowland is a mess, design-wise.

As for space, in the future, Google SpaceX and Elon Musk. Spaceflight is becoming privatized.

Unifying theme? On July 17, 1955, Walt dedicated Tomorrowland as, "A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying manís achievements. A step into the future with predictions of constructive things to come. Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure, and ideals, the atomic age, the challenge of outer space and the hope for a peaceful and unified world." And I think that is still on a plaque at the entrance.
    No no, youíve missed the point. You want Tomorrowland to go back to what was written on the plaque: a vision of the society of manís future. A land with attractions that will give an experience of living in the ďCity of the Future.Ē Fine, ok.

But there is a problem. The "City of the Future" that everybody wants is subjective. This is why Tomorrowland is so difficult. My city of the future is decidedly earth-bound: natural materials, warm, organic, human scale, zen garden-like, tree heavy, plants and water type spaces.
    More this:
    Name:  village naturel.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  112.7 KB

And less this:
    Name:  epcot.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  229.1 KB

I don't want the future to be some space-based, techno-overload, uber-metallic/electronic thing. I donít want Star Wars. That kind of vision is passe. It's also irresponsible. (Both those are Disney concepts by the way but not for Tomorrowland).

So now's the point where I cry "Who's with me!" And not surprisingly, nobody will be. Everybody has a different vision for the future. If Disney's Tomorrowland doesn't match my vision, then I'm less inclined toward the land. And the same goes for everyone else. That is their problem, they can't figure out a single vision for it that is universal. Even in the first days, the Imagineers had a problem nailing down what the architecture of "Tomorrow" should look like.

We all admire Waltís Progress City idea. But from what Iíve seen of the concept, that thing is ugly as whole heck. I would never want to live there, what horrible architecture. See what Iím getting at?

• Former Cast Member

I am sad when I look at the empty Peoplemover Track. Tomorrowland use to be full of motion between the Monorail, Peoplemover, Skyway, Autopia, Subs, and Rockets. Now the absence of the Peoplemover, the skyway, and the high rockets leaves a gapping hole in this once great and vibrant land. I would love for them to refresh Tomorrowland, but I have little faith that they would do it right. They would likely theme the whole thing based on a movie, choosing to use the synergy of a popular movie rather than gamble on their own original idea. Such a choice would ruin Tomorrowland for me. I for one would rather enjoy what it currently is with visible memories of what it once was, rather than see them butcher it with poor unoriginal theming. I am both sad and happy that they haven't touched it. May it be many many years before someone's marketing ploy ruins the ruins of a once great land.

SpaceMtnAlum94
    Very few have had the privilege of operating Space Mountain. Fewer still have pushed the A-lift stop. I am one of those few.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast