Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

^which to me means anyway Tomorrowland is a land that needs to be updated every 15-20 years no matter what because the future is ALWAYS changing

OR at least remake the land once to LOOK like something out of a scif movie....not what what we got ten years ago (plain...without even a type of art theme to it either)

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?
    Despite the notion that Disney has unlimited funds to do whatever they want, the simple fact is there's only so much money, time, and human resources to go around. They've been heftily working on the 1.10 billion dollar DCA makeover, plus a major WDW fantasyland espansion. Plus, they're throwing several billion dollars at Shanghai. Tomorrowland will indeed happen, but like anything else, it needs to wait its turn.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

to me tomorrowland has gotten updated:
    Space Mountain
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Plus it got repainted and slightly reveamped

Rockin' Space Mountain

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    Disney Dream Home inside Innoventions

New Monorail Trains
    Cosmic Waves was revamped to look nicer

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy
    new Astro Orbitor

Captain EO Tribute

Star Tours 3D
    Star Trader- redsigned

but even then Tomorrowland still needs more...

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Banned User

I think they will announce a new E Ticket for TL soon. I don't see a complete revamp, though, because Space and Buzz are popular, and Star Tours 2.0 is new and has been well received.

• Disney aficionado

I agree with choco and Mrs. Monroe. However, Captain EO shouldn't be on that list as a new attraction.
    Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Tomorrow land may have received the most attention in the last several years but it is the land with the most waste of space in the park.
    Is always brought up as the land that needs help. It uses more property than other lands and half of that property Is wasted with EO, innoventions, rotting skyway tower, rotting peoplemOver track and a huge autopia that is outdated
    I think that longtime fans have a problem with Tomorrowland for these reasons, the decaying PeopleMover track, Innoventions which is just a big Best Buy. The old location of the AstroJets, the remembrance of the failed Rocket Rods.

Nonetheless, there is a lot which could be done with a Tomorrowland, the Star Wars universe has plenty of futuristic looking stuff (which is actually sort of fantasy). If not directly taken from Star Wars, then they could add a new E-Ticket with alien characters. While it might sound hard to hit the future as it is a moving target, Little Green Men, Wookies, droids, and nasty looking aliens have yet to make contact with Earth, though many figure this will happen, and thus will stand the test of time for a new E-Ticket.

I miss the People Mover, and wish that they'd "fix" it, even though this would cost some $, and they need to figure out how to make it OSHA compliant. It was a nice ride where you could sit back and just enjoy the atmosphere of the park.

The reason why doing something with Tomorrowland (other than upgrading Star Tours) is that if a major project is undertaken in Disneyland, it should bring in more guests, and substantially increase ride capacity. As Disneyland nears capacity this summer, there will be the perennial hand wringing about how Disneyland is running out of space. TDA wants to add a new land/E-Ticket, but obviously had to wait until after Carsland opens.

There are rumors that plans for a new Tomorrowland are in the process of being 'ok'd', especially if Carsland proves to be uber popular, Disneyland will need to soak up more guests.

---------- Post added 06-10-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    A rumor that has been floating around for quite awhile now (Blue Sky Disney and others). Lucas has said he is retired from the big time, big budget, blockbuster movie game. His technical companies are self sufficient. With a relationship with Disney that goes back more than 20 years, who else is in a better position to carry the Star Wars, Indiana Jones franchises forward to future generations through films, television, theme parks, merchandising, etc.? It's an idea that makes a lot of sense.
    Hehe.

Star Wars won't be sold off.

Far from it.

As some people know, Lucas is re-releasing the Star Wars movie in 3D so that he can raise a couple billion to finance one of those little art house films he's been wanting to work on . . . Episodes 7,8, and 9.

• U. B. Bold

Tomorrowland will be updated with some major new attractions in the not too distant future. Some have said that they don't have to do this but they are missing an important point: capacity. In the old days (pre 1998) T-land soaked up huge numbers of people because it had several high capacity attractions. Disneyland today feels more crowded than it did back then because many of the high capacity attractions like Peoplemover, Skyway and the Carousel Theater have been shuttered without adequate replacements. If all those people aren't on the rides, they're on the pathways. It's basic supply and demand. While a compelling case can be made to leave well enough alone since the land is still popular "as it is." A much better case can be made to expand and improve the land with a couple of major people-eating new attractions that would increase the capacity of Tomorrowland and of the park as a whole.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

The original premise of Tomorrowland -- that it will be a preview of a wonderful future -- is no longer relevant. That core idea is dated as an entertainment premise. However, because WDI thinks Disney would never forgive them, as an institution, they just can't let this premise go. They fear Walt's legacy. They need to have the courage to know that Walt -- first and foremost -- was an entertainer who was willing to change with the times (and with audiences' tastes).

Disney could do a the-future-is-not-so-wonderful-but-very-thrilling land, but creating futuristic worlds and mythos which resonate with audiences is difficult (Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar are rare example successes from the past 40 years), whereas John Carter shows what happens when you spend hundreds of millions on a new stab at this and fail to connect with audiences. In short, too risky.

So, you can use intellectual property that has proven it works (Star Wars, Buzz Lightyear's galaxy) but when you mix them together in a hodge-podge, the overall feel is chaotic, opportunistic, and desperate.

The result is that while the rest of Disneyland feels like a theme park, Tomorrowland feels like an amusement park. It needs a cohesive theme that is relevant to today's audiences. In order, they should:

1. Re-skin and replace as a Star Wars land. Related to this, while nobody wants anything to happen to George Lucas -- hero to me and many others -- he has to know that the Disney company is the only institution that can maintain the Star Wars brand for generations after he passes (if he at all cares about his cultural legacy).

--or--

2. Re-skin and replace as a Marvel land. Not as clear of a "sense of place" but better than the hodge-podge of today.

--or, finally, if there are no stories or characters --

3. Re-skin and Replace as a 1920's-30s World's Fair (called "Tomorrowland" naturally). Easy thematic transition from Main Street and railroad station. But to do this they need to go all-out with the quaint, colorful, zany atmosphere -- crazy advertisements, billboards, neon signs, and fictitious sponsorships (Cosmic Cola, Galactic Gas Co.). It needs human-scale elements like awnings, fountains, trees, popcorn wagons, flags. It can have wood - yes painted wood -- just as a Word's Fair would have had in that era. It needs themed but cost-effective, people-eating fair rides (as a practical matter, to replace Skyway, PeopleMover, and other non-immersive attractions that absorbed people). It can have futuristic midway games like anti-gravity throw-the-ball-at-the-milk-bottles (Milky Way pun name of course) or pop-the-ballons (Rocket Tossers). It needs to feel retro, lively, festive, colorful, fun, and -- mostly -- textured and detailed.

Simple Supply and Demand. People are still going into Tomorrow Land and buying food, going on rides etc, "why fix what ain't broke" therefore Disney doesn't need to supply a new / renovated land yet.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

If memory serves me right, the rumor was tearing down the Innoventions building once Microsoft or whoever was sponsoring the first floor ends for a new E-Ticket that Baxter was toiling with at the time. But, I think this was before the economy went down the tubes and they were already spending billions next door. I don't think much will change for a bit.

But to say things haven't changed since Tomorrowland 98 is a stretch as others have listed the changes to Tomorrowland since 1998. It's the land that changed the most since and you can barely recognize it now.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by longhornkiwi View Post
    Simple Supply and Demand. People are still going into Tomorrow Land and buying food, going on rides etc, "why fix what ain't broke" therefore Disney doesn't need to supply a new / renovated land yet.
    Because there is a demand for more Tomorrowland than is currently being met by Disneyland's supply. When faced with high demand it is smart business to create more product (in this case, high capacity attractions) to fill it. Otherwise you're just leaving money on the table.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456