Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

Disney has to know that Tomorrowland is a wasteland, currently. You can see the vacant People Mover/Rocket Rod track gathering rust and bird droppings from the esplanade. They can see the low attendance numbers for Innoventions and Captain EO. They have to know that Tomorrowland is in dire need of refurbishment. What do you think is stopping them?

Is it a financial obstacle? Will going in and completely up-ending Tomorrowland, and starting from scratch be a multi-billion dollar project to rival Cars Land? Is it a creative obstacle? Do you think the Imagineers' concept of the future is just unachievable with current technology, and by the time that technology becomes available, it's already obsolete, mandating a new design? Maybe it's a logistical problem? Are they afraid that a land-wide renovation would become a foot-traffic nightmare? Or has Tomorrowland just become an impractical concept, and have they just given up?

Hmmm....

Re: So what do you think is preventing Disney from revamping Tomorrowland?

I think part of the reason is maybe a financial obstacle because of the money there putting into the other parks but i think they are making plans for completely gutting it out and making a land that actually will be top notch. Also i bet there are taking time to find new ride technologies and concepts so that the project could not be updated every 15 years

Maybe they're waiting for their next big film franchise to be a huge success in order to have a viable reason (in their eyes) to start revamping. That seems to be the trend with Disney these days. I can barely ride POTC anymore. They should change the name to fit the theme-ing a bit more, maybe "The Hunt for Capt. Jack Sparrow" would be more appropriate..

I hope they prove me wrong.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Financial. They already know Tomorrowland needs help. They just invested a billion into DCA. However, there are rumors speculating Tomorrowland is their next target.

The Third Scene in Soarin' Over California

I think Tomorrowland still gets the job done. Neither Star Tours nor Space Mountain seem "outdated" to me, and as long as they have those two E-tickets, I'm happy. I think the Walt Disney company is too.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It's coming but...wont be announced until next D23 I think, they are going to let DCA 2.0 sit for a good year or two before starting a NEW big project

Even through next year wont be as big...........the rumors are the Electrical Parade will be back....a new play in the Fantasyland theater and the New Princess sub land, along with hopefully a Holiday version of WOC so it wont be a bad years for the parks but....I think its safe to say if this new Carsland/ Beuna Vista street does well then they'll want to start working on other lands that need to be more then they are to get people to come and spend more money

• Insomniac

DCA has been preventing Disney since 2002 haha. DCA was such a turd that most of the effort/ funding has went to DCA. Now that DCA seems to be decent they should start looking into a revamp soon enough.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    Disney has to know that Tomorrowland is a wasteland, currently. You can see the vacant People Mover/Rocket Rod track gathering rust and bird droppings from the esplanade. They can see the low attendance numbers for Innoventions and Captain EO. They have to know that Tomorrowland is in dire need of refurbishment. What do you think is stopping them?

Is it a financial obstacle? Will going in and completely up-ending Tomorrowland, and starting from scratch be a multi-billion dollar project to rival Cars Land? Is it a creative obstacle? Do you think the Imagineers' concept of the future is just unachievable with current technology, and by the time that technology becomes available, it's already obsolete, mandating a new design? Maybe it's a logistical problem? Are they afraid that a land-wide renovation would become a foot-traffic nightmare? Or has Tomorrowland just become an impractical concept, and have they just given up?

Hmmm....
    Imagineering and Disney gave up long ago on Tomorrowland when they green lit Buzz and Nemo. They just don't have the creative talent anymore to build an original futuristic land that stands the test of time. Tomorrowland by far is the most challenging concept ever in the history of theme parks but can be the most rewarding if done correctly. It will take many new inventions and ideas, Disney simply relies too much on 3rd parties these days to get the job done. In order for this to become a reality, a leader with vision needs to be at the helm and new premier talent needs to be acquired.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-27-2012 at 01:14 AM.

• Minion

The fact that they don't have to.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The fact that they don't have to.
    Seven true, one-syllable words. Read Paine & Churchill much?

• formerly very helpful

$

• Minion

Why is everyone so bent on TL getting refurbed? Every TL at every DL park is the same so what's wrong with specifically DL's?...besides the Peoplmover track DL TL is in pretty good shape. There's Star Tours, a stellar version of Space Mountain, and a superior version of Buzz. Whats so special about DL that warrants a TL refurb above all the other parks? There are a lot more places around DL that could be improved without needing to entirely shut down a whole land with two very popular rides. I'd say when DL has absolutely nothing better to do, then a refurb might be on its way but for now it doesn't make sense to me...

• Minion

No, I don't. (Three more syllables.) But they only improved DCA because they had to. People just weren't going there enough. With people pouring into Disneyland in record numbers, they have no incentive to change anything. The once futuristic, exciting, sleek and glamorous Tomorrowland has been reduced to a post-apocalyptic junkyard of unrelated attractions, and the once thriving Frontierland full of character and pulsating with life has been reduced to little more than a nighttime venue for a show unrelated to Frontierland - but none of this matters as long as those turnstiles keep turning at the main gate and there are lines at the ticket windows.

• Inappropriate

I'm going to say the $1.2 billion across the way didn't help Tomorrowland progress.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

1998 -- New Tomorrowland
    2005 -- Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
    2007 -- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    2010 -- Captain EO
    2010 -- Star Tours II

No land has gotten more attention than Tomorrowland has in the past 20 years. And it doesn't look likely to change, as all signs point to the new expansion being there as well. I'm baffled as to why people always think it is Tomorrowland's turn again...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast