View Poll Results: San Francisco presence

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • San Francisco is overrepresented in DCA.

2 3.64%
  • San Francisco is underrepresented in DCA.

20 36.36%
  • San Francisco is represented just fine in DCA.

25 45.45%
  • Last bit of Timon Parking lot should go towards a quaint, greatly themed land.

4 7.27%
  • The Timon Parking lot should be used for something else.

4 7.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

San Francisco presence?

(the pole technically has two different topics, choices 1-3 and 4-5... also choice 4 is referring to a San Francisco themed land)

Opening day San Francisco was lightly themed around DCA with the GG Bridge(75th bday today), palace of fine arts and the victorians next to GRR. Which sadly all added to the radom and noncohesive DCA 1.0.

Though San Francisco has to be the most important and iconic city in California(arguably "Greater LA," emphasis on the "Greater") and could totally be transformed into a land in DCA with the detail, uniqueness, and creativity of New Orleans Square.

Now I agree an extremely idealized 1920's LA was a better fit for DCA's main street, but San Francisco is greatly underrepresented in the park. There is that last bit of Timon Parking lot next to ToT, bugs land, and CarsLand that is actually about the size of New Orleans Square, minus the Haunted Mansion area... could that land be put to use as DCA's equivalent of New Orleans square themed to SF. (sadly I don't know of any upcoming Disney films to promote an SF project)

California spawned from San Francisco, San Francisco is known as "the Paris of the West," and one of the largest tourist destinations in the world with renowned landmarks, history, architecture, and culture.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by frankiefalzon; 05-27-2012 at 03:14 PM.

• Minion

Re: San Francisco presence?

Pacific Wharf is pretty San Francisco. You could maybe say the pathway leading to the pier is also SF-inspired, but I only say that because I don't know what that area's buildings are supposed to represent.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

I thought Pacific Wharf was supposed to be Monterey.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think it is represented just fine. I do miss the Golden Gate Bridge but there are other areas of California that are equally if not arguably more important than San Francisco.

Its really hard to make a park after California. You can portray the stereotypes such as the California beach culture or Hollywood or earthquakes (Sam Andreas Shakes). But in reality California is like everywhere else in this country. People come to LA to become movie stars but quickly realize that this glamorous city where dreams are fulfilled is really no different from whatever city they came from.

If California was a small state that only contained San Francisco and a few other areas then I would say that it is under represented. But California is huge and has a lot more than just that.

I also always assumed Pacific wharf to be monterey too. Also what areas of California do you think aren't represented enough in DCA?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    I thought Pacific Wharf was supposed to be Monterey.
    After a simple Google search, I can see that you're right. Wiki (the most reputable source in the internet) also notes SF's Fisherman's Wharf as a reference point. And now with Ghirardelli coming:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The area also features the Ghirardelli chocolate factory built to resemble the iconic San Francisco chocolate factory."

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think San Francisco was actually over represented but sadly San Diego was really under-represented, if represented at all, nothing comes to mind. Most of California's early history had to do with San Diego and San Francisco, yet LA county got more credit.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Well, according to our favorite reliable source Wikipedia:

"Pacific Wharf is based on Monterey's Cannery Row area, especially as depicted in John Steinbeck's novels, and also resembles San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf. This area includes the Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill, Pacific Wharf Cafe, and The Lucky Fortune Cookery Chinese restaurant, along with a Karl Strauss beer truck and a margarita stand. The area also features the Ghirardelli chocolate factory built to resemble the iconic San Francisco chocolate factory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_California_Adventure_Park#Pacific_Wharf

So its both Monterey and San Fran... take that as you will.

I guess if I was going to pick something to be better represented it would be our Mexican heritage.

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

dang, beat me to it ohmyjustin!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I think San Francisco was actually over represented but sadly San Diego was really under-represented, if represented at all, nothing comes to mind. Most of California's early history had to do with San Diego and San Francisco, yet LA county got more credit.
    While I do agree that SD isn't really there (San Diego, born and raised!), I do see elements of SD sprinkled around the park: beach billboards along the side of Paradise Pier, Condor Flats with its aircraft ties, and the Carthay Circle Theatre really reminds me of buildings you might see at Balboa Park or of the Mission De Alcala. I know it's based on a theatre from LA, but it's not like it's too far of a stretch. Mexican heritage is also there in the beautiful painted mosaics, but none of this is really out there enough to notice unless you really try.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I would love the Discovery Bay concept of 1850's-1880's San Francisco in DCA. It would just fit so perfectly! That Jules Verne, Victorian Steampunk look is exotic and fantastical yet fits perfectly into DCA. It's mythical and adventurous. It's everything DCA needs more of! I don't know if I'd want the whole project verbatim as it was planned in the 1970's but the idea of a San Fransisco port themed land in a midst of cultural explosion with the onslaught of dreamers and adventurers from all around the world coming to strike it rich on gold is just TOO perfect. It even had a Chinatown section along the docks. Here's a great article on it with some quotes to help better show how awesome this would be. The Neverland Files: Discovery Bay

Having as its roots a "San Francisco of the 1850-1880s", the theme area would bring to life a time and place that climaxed an age of discovery and expansion.
    Discovery Bay would reflect the influx of opportunists, dreamers and adventurers that poured into this cultural melting pot after the discovery gold. The railroad link with the East had brought with the beginnings of culture and luxury, and the area was now earning its reputation as a "city of myths and eccentricities".
    Seeing that Wikipedia article mention John Steinbeck's "Cannery Row" and other novels serving as an inspiration for Pacific Wharf kind of makes me wish there was MORE of a John Steinbeck influence. Steinbeck is my absolute favorite author and I would love to see more of his touch in the land. They do have a very nice window on the side of the Bakery with a nice tribute to him and his novel "Cannery Row" though.

• Senior Minion

I agree with So Cal Fan, a lot of the Discovery Bay concepts would work great in DCA. I'd like to see all of Bug's Land removed, the CM Cafe moved and the rest of the former Timon parking lot used to make space for a land that has a lot of similar elements to Discovery Bay. I don't think there's really space for another large body of water, so maybe a bit different in name and slightly different attractions.

It would be awesome to add cable cars that had a stop near the end of the Red Cars to add another transportation attraction. The fireworks shooting gallery could be really cool with modern tech. And I would love to see a version of the eccentric inventor time travel attraction with more of a focus on California so we could see some scenes with ancient animals, Dinosaurs, Mammoths and Saber Tooth Lions, and the distant future. Then maybe add a Mulan dark ride, and an indoor coaster and you'd have a great land.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

pacific wharf is the most logical place to incorporate additional SF themeing. that said, i'd argue that all of paradise pier is modeled closely to bay area boardwalks, like santa cruz beach boardwalk or the old playland in SF, and less so the santa monica pier or belmont park, which look nothing like paradise pier.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    While I do agree that SD isn't really there (San Diego, born and raised!), I do see elements of SD sprinkled around the park: beach billboards along the side of Paradise Pier, Condor Flats with its aircraft ties, and the Carthay Circle Theatre really reminds me of buildings you might see at Balboa Park or of the Mission De Alcala. I know it's based on a theatre from LA, but it's not like it's too far of a stretch. Mexican heritage is also there in the beautiful painted mosaics, but none of this is really out there enough to notice unless you really try.
    I was raised there as well, 26 year resident. It's true there are some shout outs to good old SD, but nothing eye catching. But to be fair, San Diego doesn't have many landmarks except for possibly some Balboa Park buildings, Seaworld and the Zoo, and the Gaslamp. There is some great reppin in Soarin though

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I was raised there as well, 26 year resident. It's true there are some shout outs to good old SD, but nothing eye catching. But to be fair, San Diego doesn't have many landmarks except for possibly some Balboa Park buildings, Seaworld and the Zoo, and the Gaslamp. There is some great reppin in Soarin though
    Yep. I was trying to avoid mentioning Soarin' because it really is about all of California, so it isn't really for San Diego. It's a great city, but I have to agree when you say that it doesn't really have a trademark. I feel that it's really a jack of all trades kind of place, so I'm not bothered by the "lack" of representation in DCA.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Another idea for San Fransisco presence in DCA could be an attraction and mini land based around Victorian SF and the 1906 earthquake. Although the more put together, "gold rush", steampunk look of Discovery Bay would be more adventurous and preferable to me, the Victorian SF could include those elements plus some. An adventurous attraction based around the 1906 earthquake has TONS of potential. It could also be tied into Brad Bird's pet project, the live action version of the hit book "1906" which chronicles the stories of the city before in the aftermath of the earthquake, being done by Pixar and Disney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast