Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Unhelpful User

What if Cars Land Fails with guests in the long run?

Were all gonna try Cars Land This Summer or in the near future but what if after a couple of times we go and were not satisfied with the land, example "hollywood land" who will get axed, John Lasseter or George Kalogridis and don't get me wrong me as a DCA Fan I want this Park to be a success and hope this revamping will do it, but it might be till DCA's phase 2. what are your thoughts!
    Last edited by DCAfanatic; 05-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: What if Cars Land Fails with guests in the long run?

There was a poll on this topic a few weeks ago in a thread titled Cars Land Longevity. Most voters in the poll felt it would continue to thrive into the future but would need new attractions and ideas every once in a while. A minority felt it would not last for the long haul.

Personally, I'll be curious to see how how customers who've visited Carsland a couple dozen times will feel when they're in Carsland for the 30th or 40th time. When they're in a land where every restaurant, every merchandise outlet, every thematic detail is... Pixar's Cars. Where all that there is to see, hear, ride and buy is... Pixar's Cars.

In Disney's other lands, the characters and themes are always changing. Turn your head in Fantasyland and you've traveled from Peter Pan to King Arthur. In Frontierland you can have New Orleans Square ahead of you and Tom Sawyer Island behind you. Even in Toontown, a few steps take you from Roger Rabbit to Mickey Mouse.

But in Carsland, the customers will be surrounded by One Product. One Franchise. One Design Style. One Theme...

Pixar's Cars.

Every ride, every character, every piece of architecture, the massive backdrop -- all duplicated down to the last detail from the same video their kids have at home.

I wonder how many visits it will take before people begin to feel less like they're at Disneyland, and more like they're inside a gigantic infomercial for Pixar's Cars.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Insomniac

If it fails with everyone else at least I'll have short lines!
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Then they can rename it Autoventions.

i highly doubt that racers will be anything but a long term success. anyone who's ridden in test track at epcot knows that that was the most popular ride there and probably the most fun, despite having a lame gm-commercial theme to it. while the themeing of carsland might get stale way down the line, guests will still flock to ride racers and ensure the overall viability of the area.

• Minion

ORDDU: Didn't people have this same question about Disneyland before it first opened? If something fails something else will eventually take its place. In the meantime its no skin off our noses one way or the other. There are plenty of other entertainments with which we can all participate.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

My opinion simply put is that though the area might get old to people, the rides in it (especially Racers) won't; even if the Cars brand loses its relevance. As long as the rides don't fail to meet guests' satisfaction, then Cars Land should be fine. As with almost every area in both parks, there's always one ride (most often an E-Ticket) that will bring people through the area. Same with Hollywood Land and ToT; the area might not be the best, but ToT brings possible consumer traffic to other shops or eateries in the area. And when people are in there for rides, they'll also stop for a bite to eat for conveniance. Or even a souvenir if they don't have one already. As long as people are in the land to ride, the area will be able to sustain itself. (or so I hope)
    Because Bert Said So!

• Minion

I'm concerned about the lack of shade. How's that going to play out on a hot summer day?

• Minion

I'm beginning to think Pixar is the new generation's (i.e., 20-and-under's) "childhood movies". While current parents are bringing their kids to Fantasyland for their favorite movies, future parents are gonna be taking their kids to Pixar-based rides because that's what they/we grew up on. I know that I have a stronger connection to Toy Story thanks to the latest movie than I do with Sleeping Beauty, though I love both. I'm thinking that Cars is gonna be the same and will continue to thrive in the future.

I think it will be fine. There really is nothing much "Cars" related to the land other than the signs. Take out the signs, everything looks just like a normal rt 66 town. Underneath it all you have a fairly realistic restaurant, motel, town hall, junk yard, army surplus, and curio shop. Literally every building in the town has none of the silliness and childishness of the rest of the movie. So if you feel you must...it seems fairly easy to ignore the fact that its from the movie Cars. Or at least keep it from ruining your day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I'm concerned about the lack of shade. How's that going to play out on a hot summer day?
    The same way people deal with Toon town. Plus didn't they say they had to add a bunch of trees for shade that weren't in the movie?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Not to mention the 400+ tress that were planted in cars land...

• Sock Puppet

To be fair, most of DCA seems lacking in the shade department.

• Senior Minion

People are going to roast -- especially in the Carsland queue, if reports in another thread are any indication.

You'd think that after a decade of the Bare Concrete Look, Disney would have ponied up and provided more shade everywhere in DCA.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Have faith. Folks gotta longin' in their hearts for Route 66...least wise those of us old enough to remember it do. The young'uns will remember the movie. It'll do just fine.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

I have absolutely no worries about Cars Land.

At the very worst, I see them toning back the Cars (the Movie) theming for a more realistic Route 66 theming. After all, Cars was designed off the real Route 66. Many things could easily been rethemed.

MJJ looks like a good little ride and should have long lasting appeal like that of the Teacups. RSR will be iconic and the outside could be left completely alone and still fit in perfectly if they tone down the Cars theming. The inside would need new sets. Finally, LFT is the only thing I could see completely being removed. I haven't ridden it, but I'm not sure even if it's fast enough that it will have enough long term appeal. I could see it being turned into a great dark ride (they already have the whole dug for a great two story attraction!). The street itself could easily be themed more realistically. Sure some parts like Flo's might be troublesome, but the Cones are based on the real life teepees motel, so they wouldn't have to be toned down.

Meanwhile, they have great places to expand to the east.

Over the next 20 years, I see expansion, some minor retheming, then potentially when the Cars franchise has run its course, a refresh of the entire land.

Route 66 is here to stay long term as a great great land!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast