Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carthay Circle Theatre Error

Hi! This is only my second post!
    Look at this plaque in the Carthay Circle Theatre from this weeks Dateline Disneyland.
    Name:  IMG_7276.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  249.7 KB
    The Plaque implies that the time is present day, rather than when Walt first arrived in California, which is what Buena Vista Street is trying to emulate. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Yeslos; 05-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.

• Insomniac

Re: Carthay Circle Theatre Error

Meh it's minor. No more theme breaking than having Adventureland/ Frontierland signs. It isn't necessarily "present day" it is just sometime after 1937. The area is 1920's (when Walt arrived) to 1930's (when Snow White Premiered). Not a specific time period more a general feel with the architecture.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

this is just explaining history...... seriously, stop nitpicking on EVERYTHING....this is just a plaque to explain to people what this theater is...
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Prometheus, I'm not trying to make it any bigger of a deal than it is, I just thought it was interesting, and thought maybe a few others would too. Sorry for wasting your time.

• Banned User

Meh to the present/past thing.

Though that about "Theatre" spelled one way then "theater" spelled the other? Is this inconsistent?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Yeslos View Post
    Prometheus, I'm not trying to make it any bigger of a deal than it is, I just thought it was interesting, and thought maybe a few others would too. Sorry for wasting your time.
    No you're not wasting anyones time and to be fair this was talked about in another thread, so for some people it may just feel like more of the same. BUT you obviously didnt know that and there is nothing wrong to make another topic.

But yeah, I dont see anything REMOTELY wrong with it. As Disney fans, we pine on this stuff more than others. Sometimes its good, sometimes not so good lol. But if you and others think its 'wrong' thats fine. I on the other hand see a theme park trying to explain the significance of the theater and why its there in the first place. Majority of people will probably not have a clue of its history unless they are on boards like this or been paying attention to all the minutiae about the expansion and the original idea of BVS concept.

And the other thing is there are plaques ALL over DL doing exactly what this plaque is doing there now! So I dont really get why those are something inheritly different than whats on CCT now? The fact is there ISNT a difference, people have just grown up with those and like SO many things at DL seem to not notice those as much since they are conditioned to seeing them vs EVERY little thing they put in now.

And one last thing and maybe someone can explain it to me, but when CCT was ORIGINALLY introduced, they were going to put in a Walt Disney exhibit which IIRC was very popular idea for many people here! We are talking about creating an entire exhibit on the man that would surely go beyound 1937 and I dont remember anyone being upset over the idea and people still seem upset now it didnt happen.

So why exactly would that been 'ok' but a plaque out of all things is wrong? So no, no issues with it whatsoever!

The plaque doesn't necessarily suggest present day. If it was 1 year, 5 years or 10 years after 1937, it would still technically be correct. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs DID make history at that theater. Of course, it's still not when Disney first arrived in California, so...

As to Theatre/Theater. Generally in the US, Theatre is used to describe the art, theater is used to describe a building. But when used in a theater name, either works.

The architectural structure, however, is a theater (unless you're in London). So in this case, the plaque is correct, not inconsistent.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Yeslos View Post
    The Plaque implies that the time is present day, rather than when Walt first arrived in California, which is what Buena Vista Street is trying to emulate. Any thoughts?
    You're not alone in doing a bit of a doubletake at the plaque. A number of other posters have had a reaction of "huh?" And no, discussing such details is not "nitpicking" -- the discussion of details like this, and the posting of opinions on both sides of these issues, are what MiceChat is here for.

To me, the plaque seems to have been written by a committee that can't decide what the theater is trying to be: an immersive recreation of Walt's time in California, a museum reproduction that wants to remind you this is present day, or a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor. In any event, it's nothing like the language, tone and approach of the classic Disneyland plaques at the entrances to Frontierland, Fort Wilderness, Fantasyland, in the Swiss Family Treehouse, etc.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Lion

I've heard people decry the fact that Disney isn't educational enough any more. Yet, when they try to give the public (who is completely clueless about the original Carthay theater and its Disney connection) a little Disney history tidbit, people are picking apart the thematic appropriateness and anachronistic nature of it.

Time periods, at Disney Parks and Disneyland especially, is imprecise and always in motion. Thematic anachronisms are everywhere. The 18th Century Columbia sails the same rivers as the 19th century Mark Twain (never mind that you wouldn't have ever seen a sea-sailing ship like the Columbia on the type of middle-America rivers that it sails on at Disneyland).

The Carthay plaque reminds me a lot of the Lafitte's anchor plaque in NoS, for example, that has been there since opening day.

• Minion

I wonder how many people will come away thinking this ACTUALLY IS the theater where "Snow White" premiered in 1937 .

I would have gone with the philosophy "either people get it or they don't," rather than trying to spell it out. But I guess a little blurb to fill the general public in on why they chose to recreate this specific theater won't kill me either.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Minion

It's an interesting question. I think that we have to accept a certain level of anachronism in the history-based sections of the parks. This one doesn't ping my personal Anachr-O-Meter any more than the plaque on WDW's replica of the Liberty Bell.

• I'm a Lutheran

It makes just about as much sense as a Bavarian castle overlooking the main drag of a turn-of-the-century Midwestern town. It doesn't intrude on anything thematically it's just a plaque. Would you rather see a "PRESENTED BY BIG NAME COMPANY" or that plaque?
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

That's funny. I thought you were going to say the big error. You know, about no theater being inside.

•   
    • Minion

I think the plaque is a great touch! How many people besides this board know what the Carthay Circle Theatre is? I have some friends who always thought Snow White premiered at the El Capitan.

• Banned User

I think it's for those people who are like - what the heck is THIS building? It's iconic, but I wouldn't say it's as well known as a monument as other buildings around LA. Might clear it up for some folks who wouldn't know otherwise. Just like the plaque on the Halloween Tree. And the one by Grizzly River Rapids. And the one by the petrified tree. And the other ones all over the parks.

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I think the plaque is a great touch! How many people besides this board know what the Carthay Circle Theatre is? I have some friends who always thought Snow White premiered at the El Capitan.
    Haha exactly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast