Activities for young kids in line

We're taking two foster children to Disneyland for the first time. They are 3 and 5 years old. While generally well behaved children, patience is not yet among their virtues.

Unfortunately we'll be going on a weekend. So, despite avoiding all e-ticket rides, we'll still be dealing with lines.

I'm hoping for some suggestions for activities for the lines.

Since we're dealing with an 8+ hour car trip each way, ability to use in the car would be a plus as well.

Ideally they would be things that:
    - are small; we'll have enough stuff with us besides!
    - aren't breakable
    - aren't valuable if lost
    - easy to get out and easy to set aside as line needs dictate

Adults will outnumber the kids 4 to 2 on the trip, so it can be things that need adult involvement.

I know there are many experienced parents on this board. Please share your secrets! Thanks.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Re: Activities for young kids in line

The "I Spy Something With My Little Eye" is totally free.

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 06:47 PM ----------

Things that involve the car ride... the obvious one is a bunch of coloring books. Not all kids are into that. For your own sanity, consider things that either are silent, have a volume control, or are compatible with headphones

Car rides are also a good time for movies. Do you have something to show a video on? Disney classics to get them in the mood? They are young enough to not know much about Disney. This is a good time to educate them and give them context.

The "I spy" game is a good idea. Thanks. I'll keep that in my back pocket.

Yes, the car has a DVD player, which we will totally be using with Disney movies for the trip. That's something my wife and I won't mind listening to while driving either. But we can't do movies for 8 hours straight (though I'm sure the kids will want to.) Don't underestimate the kids Disney knowledge. They know the movies inside and out. They are new to us but required no Disney-indoctrination. Which is why I am so excited to take them to Disneyland to see all of their favorite characters in the park.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Ok, that is good to know. Are we talking boys, girls?

Given that, let me brainstorm a bit more and get back to you.

How exciting for you and them. You have a truly generous heart. I think Walt will look down on you and smile.

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Get them an mp3 or video camera. My husband found really cheap video cameras online(I think possibly at Amazon) and my girls are 3 and they love filming stuff with them. You can get mp3 players cheap too(like less than $20 and I think that's what the cameras were)and put some disney or other favorite songs on them.

If all else fails paper and markers or crayons....get a clip board and let them draw. Tell them you're gonna make a memory book and to draw what they see.

Hope this helps...
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

The 5 year old is a girl and the 3 year old is a boy.

Thanks for the kind words, but taking them to Disneyland is not a completely selfless act. I can hardly contain myself for the chance to see their joy. My wife and I will have a blast enjoying the parks with them and experiencing the magic anew.

• formerly very helpful

I'd also recomend getting there at opening, and heading straight for Fantasyland. Peter Pan is one of the most popular rides of the park, and the lines get long. If you are early enough, you can get on Peter Pan, and all of the rest of Fantasyland within the first 20 minutes, or so.
    At some point - whenever you see that they need it, let them have a break from rides, and do some running around. Pirate Island is perfect for that. Let them spend some energy.
    ALso, take advantage of Fastpass. But at their ages, there may not be much for them that actually uses fastpass. When my kids were those ages, they also loved just talking about Disneyland, their favorite rides, etc. Actually, you may be pleasantly surprised with how well the kids can handle lines.
    And get each of them their own copy of the guide map. They'll love "planning out their day" on the maps. And the maps are free, too.

There's a mini version of Etch-a-Sketch, and I've seen something called Pictionary Man that's a portable version (also pretty cheap, I think). In fact, there's a whole "To Go" series of popular games...basically travel-sized. Some are more breakable than others. You'll find them under Toys and Games on Amazon, and I think they have at least some of them at department stores too...Target, etc.

And don't be afraid to take breaks away from the park...my niece and nephew always love an afternoon dip in the hotel pool.

Auto bingo is always a great distraction (you can make your own at home as a fun prep activity...multiple versions even, totally free). You could make one for in the park too.

And I have to agree with the idea of drawing...Get them each a cheap small sketch book that could double as an autograph book/scrap book, plus capture their drawings. What a fun thing to look back on.

And here's a link to some road-trip games from Disney too: Fun Travel Games to Relieve Kids' Boredom | Road Trip Vacation | FamilyFun

Have a great time!