Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

? about the old Superstar Limo ride

Ok here is a question for anyone. what was wrong with the old Superstar Limo ride? I never made it on this ride, the first time I made it to DCA was Dec 02, i dont know if it was closed by then or I just did not make it on the ride. People talk about how bad it was but not the reason why it was so bad, it sounds like it could have been a good idea.

Re: ? about the old Superstar Limo ride

It was shameless audio animatronic promotion of b and c list Disney celebrities.

I remember going on that ride the first time with a bunch of friends and our picture at the end was just this open mouthed look of confusion and revulsion.

I really wish they sold those photos because the expressions on our faces were priceless.

• Huh?

Never road it. Just suffered through the videos of it.

It truly does do a good job at lowering IQs.

Snail-paced race through a hodge podge of bleh coupled with blah and when you get to the end, you need to race to the loo to poo and pttttt.

Hope that clears everything up. Just think of the most mind-numbing movie you've ever seen, double the mind-numbingness, and put it in ride form.

And the AAs weren't even that great. I've seen better for $20 at Big Lotts.
    -Tim

• "Always On The Move..."

I went on it during the Sneak Opening of DCA with a bunch of friends. Yes, it was a shamless promotion for all of Disney's TV Shows (ABC), so you got to see AA's of Drew Cary, Whoopie Goldberg, etc. (and not very good ones at that.. LOL)

Now (looks around and ducks) I actually enjoyed it because it was sooooo wonderfully cheesy and tacky. I mean, no pride whatsoever!

But the one good things about it was...

It was air conditioned and felt great on a hot day when your feet were killing you! And yes, we also had that wonderful "What the (blank) was THAT all about" picture at the end of the ride! Wish we had a copy of that too!

There were several things about the attraction that were truly horrible.

The most disturbing were grotesque puppets of Joan Rivers and a surly actor's agent.

The concept for the attraction did have potential, though, but, in order for the thing to work, it would have had to have been a laugh-out-loud funny, social satire in the vein of Steve Martin's "L.A. Story" or the Fox series, "Action", with Jay Mohr. In the end, Superstar Limo was a little too oriented to tourists from Peoria, Illinois.

Beyond the obvious cheapness and budget cuts that resulted in the overuse of stage flats, ultraviolet light, and mostly static figures, the choice of "stars" was limited by the mandate that the new park had to have a contemporary setting. So, the celebrities the producers caricatured were really pathetic. Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas do not belong in any Disney attraction, EVER.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-01-2006 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas do not belong in any Disney attraction, EVER.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

It's purpose was also obvious. Disney didn't want any patrons to leave the parks to see other sites in the Los Angeles area. Just like building MGM Studios so people wouldn't leave to go to Universal; just like the Living Seas might stop someone from sneaking over to Sea World (the idea is a parent might say, "why buy another ticket--we have this right here!"); the ride gave riders a quick view of what they were missing. There was Hollywood, there was Malibu, there was Venice Beach.

The original theme, I once heard, was going to be like Buzz Lightyear, where you had cameras and took pictures of stars that darted out of the way. But after Princess Di's tragedy, they gutted the concept and went with a toned-down 'limo to your Hollywood premiere.'

A very smart move not using the paparazzi concept, but the new ride still sucked.

I never really minded--they needed a dark ride as it were and since everyone hated it, the lines were pretty short and you got a quick run through air-conditioning.

Let's hope Monsters is better.

peace, Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• time to go

SSL required copious amounts of alcohol, in order to be enjoyable. (Heck, it needed alcohol just to be tolerable.)

Actually, Limo made a wonderful makeshift breathalyzer for those times when good friends and long chats at the Cove Bar were problematic for driving.

If I went on SSL before leaving the park, and found myself laughing at the gags, I knew I was too looped to get behind the wheel. One quick lap around Paradise Bay, and another Limo trip, usually did the trick. "Ride, walk, repeat."

Hey, whatever works.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I never got to experience it firsthand, but there is a complete ride video online at http://www.themeparkreview.com/photo...disneyland.htm
    where you can judge for yourself.

Scroll down a bit to "Theme Park Videos" and follow the links. (thank you to neuhickman79 for originally finding this!)

The ride was breathtaking in it's cheesiness.

BTW: while you're on that website, be sure to check out the Bon Bon Land and Nara Dreamland videos.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    It's purpose was also obvious. Disney didn't want any patrons to leave the parks to see other sites in the Los Angeles area. Just like building MGM Studios so people wouldn't leave to go to Universal; just like the Living Seas might stop someone from sneaking over to Sea World (the idea is a parent might say, "why buy another ticket--we have this right here!"); the ride gave riders a quick view of what they were missing. There was Hollywood, there was Malibu, there was Venice Beach.
    Interestingly, I take a somewhat different view. While it is true that the purpose of D.C.A., from a business standpoint, was to encourage guests to remain on-property longer and stay overnight in the hotels, I think D.C.A. was also charged with the mission of coloring guests' perceptions of the actual California.

Venice Beach and Hollywood Boulevard are the next most popular attractions in southern California after Disneyland, but, truthfully, they both have the potential to be vastly disappointing. So, Superstar Limo, and the whole of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, attempted to comment on the actual place by poking fun and acknowledging the shortcomings of these destinations that invariably find themselves on the itineraries of many Disneyland guests.

D.C.A. actually does (or did) a good job of coloring these perceptions, in general. The park provided a sanitized and prettified view of some less-than-Disney-like parts of California so that guests were, in turn, able to appreciate these points of interest better.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-28-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks Tom! Ahhhh, to once again live the cheesiness that was SSL. Memories!

Plus I absolutely LOVE ThemeParkReview..I want to go to BonBon Land and the "Alternative Reality Disneyland" so bad... I am so envious of those folks!

Thanks again for sharing!

• Rock Star Minion

Apparently, only Eisner liked this ride, so that's why it existed.
    JHM had a story about it, but that site is slower than this one is today.

Here:
    http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=389
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    I never got to experience it firsthand, but there is a complete ride video online at http://www.themeparkreview.com/photo...disneyland.htm
    where you can judge for yourself.

Scroll down a bit to "Theme Park Videos" and follow the links. (thank you to neuhickman79 for originally finding this!)

The ride was breathtaking in it's cheesiness.

BTW: while you're on that website, be sure to check out the Bon Bon Land and Nara Dreamland videos.
    Thanks for posting the link to the video, now I see what everyone is talking about. I think the ride could have been a good idea, but it loooks like what could have been and what was are two different things.

Okay, I only rode it once, but I kinda liked it! Maybe I'm the only one. It was VERY VERY cheesy and cheap. I did return one time to try and ride it again, but it was already gone! However, Monsters Inc is unbelievably better.

• Earth Intruder

Oh man, wasn't there a Cindy Crawford animatronic dressed as a hooker spraying perfume on you??? The animatronics were SO scary. And the Cher animatronic looked more lifelike than the real Cher.

SSL was most fun to just sit at the exit and hear people's reactions. Picture the faces of the audience in the Producers as they watch Springtime for Hitler.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast