Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Cars Land Review - From One Of The First Lucky 66 Guests To Enter

We were delighted to find a Cars Land review in our MiceChat email today from longtime reader, Z.M.. The Disney Parks Blog held a contest to let 66 guests into the land, and while they were not allowed to bring cell phones or camera's we have included some photos of our own to help you visualize what's soon to come.

The Disney Parks Blog Cars Land Meet Up was one surprise after another, though none of them matched the jaw-dropping "holy crap!" breath-taking view of Radiator Springs Racers/Cadillac Range through the Ornament Valley archway. Our evening began at the Blue Sky Cellar, where 66 lucky guests turned in their electronic devices (so no photos from within Cars Land here) in exchange for a headset. Upon entering Cars Land, we were greeted by Imagineers Kevin Rafferty, Sr. and Kathy Mangum. Photographer Paul Hiffmeyer took a group photo of us, and then Kevin took half of the group, and Kathy the other, for our exclusive peek at Cars Land.

Most of the information shared by Kevin and Kathy is similar to what has been reported on the Disney Parks Blog and in the Cars Land press release, so I'll only mention the things that amused me:

Of the walk-throughs we did (Luigi's Flying Tires, the Cozy Cone area), my favorite was Flo's V8 Cafe.

Cozy Cone Cafe

\

Flo's V8 Cafe

The chandelier-type lighting fixtures change color in time to the music, and Flo's Motorama Girls gold records (you'll have to check out each one to see the clever album and song titles) line the walls of the showroom section of the restaurant; this indoor and outdoor seating area provide great views of Radiator Springs Racers. On the opposite side of the restaurant, the dining area is themed to Doc Hudson's former work space.

Luigi's Flying Tires

When you're in the inside queue for Luigi's Flying Tires, see if you can find a tire that still reads "Alfreado" instead of "Alfredo" on its wall. That was what some Imagineers spent their day doing: fixing the misspellings.

In the heart of Cars Land hangs a blinking yellow traffic light. As per Fillmore's belief that every third blink is slower, you can see for yourself if he is correct.

Route 66 is paved, to show that Radiator Springs is a town back on the map, but at Cross St., the old, cracked concrete streets remain, as a reminder of what Radiator Springs once was.

When we returned our headset, we got to ride Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

The tractors are small, but they sure do whip you around good. If you don't like being slammed into the side of the vehicle by the person you're riding with, you'll want to hold onto the bar in front of you! Mater's square dance songs are cute, and listening to him do the safety spiel in "Spanish" is hilarious. I'm glad we got to walk right onto Mater's, because it's not an attraction worth waiting in a long line to experience (though the queue has terrific signs and memorabilia from "Mater's Tall Tales").

We didn't get to visit Radiator Spring Racers, so that will have to wait for a future update.

Upon returning to the Blue Sky Cellar, we were each handed a Disney Parks Blog pin, and a Cars Land drawstring backpack. For the final surprise of the night, each person was given a dated, commemorative framed tin poster of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree!

For those who wanted to stay, an admission ticket was given, and your event wristband got you into a reserved viewing area for World of Color. Erin and the Disney Parks Blog team did an amazing job treating us to this special sneak peek of Cars Land.

After reading, I'm more excited than ever to see Cars Land first hand. What about you?

We'd like to thank Z.M. for her excellent account of the Cars Land meetup. If you've got Cars Land or Buena Vista Street information, thought, photos or reviews you'd like to share, please post right here to MiceChat or write to [email protected]

Photos courtesy Fishbulb and CaptPhoebus
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-30-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Cars Land Review - From One Of The First Lucky 66 Guests To Enter

Sounds like it's going to be exactly what I'm expecting....great theming, the most attentions to detail of any land in a while....and the kids rides are better then nothing but don't wait over 10 mins for the rides (unless you have kids)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Sounds like it's going to be exactly what I'm expecting....great theming, the most attentions to detail of any land in a while....and the kids rides are better then nothing but don't wait over 10 mins for the rides (unless you have kids)
    Perhaps for the two flat rides, but we are hearing great things about Radiator Springs Racers.

While few rides are worth really long lines, this one will probably be well worth the wait. In fact, it may very well be the best ride in the resort. We shall have to wait and see.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

My Wife and I were also among the lucky 66 last night and we had an amazing time. Cars Land is pretty awesome from a visual stand point. You really do feel immersed in the theming. Our guide for the evening was Kevin Rafferty Sr. and he was very enthusiastic to tell us about his role in creating back stories for a lot of the stores you see on Route 66 that the films did not delve into. Radiator Springs Racers is probably the collest looking ride I have ever seen. If the ride itself is half as good as it looks the lines will be very long. Kevin mentioned that he had ridden RSR 827 as of that moment. It will be interesing to see how similar the ride is to Test Track in Epcot. Maters ride was surprisingly fun but I agree that I wouldn't want to wait very long for it.

All in all it was a great event and the gifts and the end were a classy touch. This was my second Blog Meet Up and I will be on the look out for more in the future.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Whoa. The freebies are top notch! Carlor me jealous!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Cars Land keeps sounding better and better the more we hear about it!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Perhaps for the two flat rides, but we are hearing great things about Radiator Springs Racers.

While few rides are worth really long lines, this one will probably be well worth the wait. In fact, it may very well be the best ride in the resort. We shall have to wait and see.
    Yes, I am hoping so....if the ride does make it to my top 5 rides in the parks...then I'll be surprised Test Track is a fun ride and this looks to be an even better use of the tech.

I am going to go there the week after it opens...on a Thursday hoping that if I get there when it opens...I'll be able to get on it 3 times at least...without waiting over 30 mins (I plan on getting a FP as i enter DCA then go on the ride right away hoping that will be the best way to get a good amount of rides in)

• Minion

There seems to be a lot more vegetation than many were expecting. Give those trees a few years and I think much of the area will shade quite nicely.

• Unhelpful User

Can't wait! but then again everything is cool when it's new!

You can get a partial view from the Blue Sky Cellar, you can get an overhead view from Mickey's Fun Wheel, or jump on your buddy's shoulders and peer over the wall. But nothing compares to what it's like actually being down inside Carsland.
    The Cadillac Range was built perfectly, so that you're wrapped up in Radiator Springs. That is definitely going to be a place to just sit for hours and pretend you're in the desert along Route 66. The details are amazing and it's a veritable "eye candy-palooza".
    And even though I didn't ride it, Radiator Springs Racers will definitely blow Epcot's Test Track out of the water. A Cars dark ride followed by and E-ticket ride is way better than a run through a boring auto factory and a quick run along a boring, generic track.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

The Disney Parks Blog posted an article along some pictures:
    Sixty-Six Readers Take a Spin at the Disney Parks Blog Cars Land Meet-Up Disney Parks Blog
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Can't wait! but then again everything is cool when it's new!
    But isnt that the problem? Don't get me wrong, Im extremely excited to see it because "New" is always cool. But thinking long term then I just don't see Cars Land being that big of a draw. No offense to the super fans, but its essentially a very detailed recreation of a place that nobody every really dreamed of visiting that contains a single E-Ticket ride (that isnt necessarily unique) and a bunch of kiddie rides in a park with too many kiddie rides.

My problem with Cars Land is similar to my gripes about Avatar Land. Disney has so many franchises and partnerships that aren't represented enough that it seems crazy to go to "Cars" or an outsider like "Avatar" because in 5 years are we going to look back at them as classics or fads and wonder "what if...".

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to do something with Marvel or Star Wars because those are two properties that have proven to be timeless and true classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    But isnt that the problem? Don't get me wrong, Im extremely excited to see it because "New" is always cool. But thinking long term then I just don't see Cars Land being that big of a draw. No offense to the super fans, but its essentially a very detailed recreation of a place that nobody every really dreamed of visiting that contains a single E-Ticket ride (that isnt necessarily unique) and a bunch of kiddie rides in a park with too many kiddie rides.
    Hmm I dont know if I agree with any of this

• backwards driver

So jealous! I saw all the tables set up for the blog meet up check in area, and was sooo bummed that i couldn't go. How do you manage to hear about the meet ups quick enough to get in? Is there a special trick?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post

My problem with Cars Land is similar to my gripes about Avatar Land. Disney has so many franchises and partnerships that aren't represented enough that it seems crazy to go to "Cars" or an outsider like "Avatar" because in 5 years are we going to look back at them as classics or fads and wonder "what if...".

It just seems like a wasted opportunity to do something with Marvel or Star Wars because those are two properties that have proven to be timeless and true classics.
    I definitely agree with you--interesting you bring up Avatar, because the same people who are praising Cars Land are lamenting Avatar Land for the same reason people are lamenting Cars Land in the first place!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast