Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Does anyone STILL prefer Sunshine Plaza over Bena Vista Street?

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Who in their right mind would prefer Sunshine Plaza. I can see how some people may miss it for a while due to memories and what not, but BVS is such a major improvement.
    Here's the thing.... I really don't think Buena Vista Street is all that much of an improvement. The Sunshine Plaza had it's flaws to be sure, but it was something different. The postcard entrance to the park was completely different to anything Disney had done before. The giant water fountain under the sun, with it's programmable waves was really fun to sit and watch and it was a really laid back and casual atmosphere.

Buena Vista Street will be, for all intents and purposes, Main Street The Sequel. I just can't really get all that excited over it. Not that I was ever excited for the Sunshine Plaza either, but as I have said before, if I were to choose between Buena Vista Street or Main Street, Main Street wins every time. Since they are more easily comparable now, they are in direct competition.

The only thing I absolutely hate about the new entrance is the turnstiles. That pan pacific wreck doesn't match anything else, in color or style, to the rest of the land. At the very least they could have painted it the original brown color. I definitely prefer the old entrance to that.

i'm going to miss walking under the golden gate bridge and hearing the beach boys in that area. other than that, i'm on the BVS side. so stoked for it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Here's the thing.... I really don't think Buena Vista Street is all that much of an improvement. The Sunshine Plaza had it's flaws to be sure, but it was something different. The postcard entrance to the park was completely different to anything Disney had done before. The giant water fountain under the sun, with it's programmable waves was really fun to sit and watch and it was a really laid back and casual atmosphere.

Buena Vista Street will be, for all intents and purposes, Main Street The Sequel. I just can't really get all that excited over it. Not that I was ever excited for the Sunshine Plaza either, but as I have said before, if I were to choose between Buena Vista Street or Main Street, Main Street wins every time. Since they are more easily comparable now, they are in direct competition.

The only thing I absolutely hate about the new entrance is the turnstiles. That pan pacific wreck doesn't match anything else, in color or style, to the rest of the land. At the very least they could have painted it the original brown color. I definitely prefer the old entrance to that.
    Why does it have to be a competition between the two? MS and BVS are so different. MS is supposed to be an idealized turn of the century small town... while BVS is supposed to be an actual recreation of a real place. Yes I do see that they are both streets that act as entrances but that doesn't mean one has to be better than the other. Also the comment that the new turnstiles don't match anything stylistically then the imagineers are actually succeeding at what they set out to do. It has been stated before than BVS is supposed to be a coming together of the many different prominent styles of architecture that existed in Los Angeles in the 20s and 30s, things are supposed to be matchy matchy like they are on MS.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Main street is middle America....this is suppose to be LA....though they both are opening for parks...and are "around" the same time period...they are pretty different.

I would wait to see the finished product before before just writing it off.....I'm sure with the music...the Trolly cars...and seeing it there in person..you'll fall in love with the land if you give it a chance

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

No. Just no.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I don't agree with the first part but I agree that the pan pacific turnstiles were a mistake, especially the color. I think if they painted them the original brown like you said, it would match and blend a whole lot better.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Damn!!!!! I have tons of HD footage of DCA and the only thing I regret not doing is a walk-through of Sunshine Plaza so that I can do a side-by-side comparison of BVS & Sunshine Plaza.

although, I have a almost full walk-through of DCA, but is too late due to the construction walls.

Last edited by SoCalbma; 05-31-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

Try this video. Not great it does the trick.

• "What? What?"

I actually kinda liked the whole Beach Theme thing they had with surf boards and a lige gaurd tower. I remember it was there the first time I walked into DCA and they had beach boys playing and beach balls going back and forth. I really liked that.

But that is a 2, compared to the new Buena Vista Street!
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    Why does it have to be a competition between the two? MS and BVS are so different. MS is supposed to be an idealized turn of the century small town... while BVS is supposed to be an actual recreation of a real place.
    Main Street is an idealized midwestern town, and Buena Vista Street is an idealized Los Angeles. The real LA of the 20s and 30s was dirty and filled with crime, corruption and racial tension. None of those have a place in a Disney park. So when you boil it down, Buena Vista Street will end up with all the same elements: friendly happy citizens smiling and dancing down the street and happy to help you. There is no crime, no mystery, no politics and no intrigue. Every day is better than the one before it.

And this isn't meant to be a criticism of either Main Street or Buena Vista Street. They are what they are: entrances to theme parks. Charming, cute and idealized. They are the same. At the end of the day they both serve their function well.

Then again, Buena Vista Street will have a Starbucks, so that might give it a slight edge over Main Street. At least for a couple months.

• Minion

I'll be the first to admit that Main Street is one of my favorite areas in Disneyland. It's a perfect entrance to the park and represents such an important part of Walt's life.

I will also be the first to admit that BVS will easily rival, if not surpass, Main Street. I can tell you firsthand that details have been flooded into every nook and cranny of the land and make references that even some of the most die-hard Disney fans won't understand. The amount of research and study WDI did to make it as accurate as possible is unparalleled. While Main Street will always hold a special place in our hearts, BVS will do an amazing job of representing an idealized LA. Trust me, it'll be great!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that Main Street is one of my favorite areas in Disneyland. It's a perfect entrance to the park and represents such an important part of Walt's life.

I will also be the first to admit that BVS will easily rival, if not surpass, Main Street. I can tell you firsthand that details have been flooded into every nook and cranny of the land and make references that even some of the most die-hard Disney fans won't understand. The amount of research and study WDI did to make it as accurate as possible is unparalleled. While Main Street will always hold a special place in our hearts, BVS will do an amazing job of representing an idealized LA. Trust me, it'll be great!
    You know, looking at the latest update from the Magic Eye site and all the new billboards and signs thats been added, I'm REALLY starting to believe that!!

I havent been dissapponted with one thing so far! The look of CCT, the fountain and now all the beautiful signage in the place is making this one amazing area. I love it all! And when the RCT starts running through the place man its REALLY going to come together!

Speaking of RCT and its history, I found out just a month ago my own mother use to take the real RCT as a little girl with her mother in the 50s and 60s! They use to take it every weekend from Compton, where we grew up, to downtown L.A. and use to shop in the big department stores like Bullocks, Montgomery Ward, etc. She loved it! She even remember going to CCT once as well!

And now, 40 years later she will be taking the RCT again in BVS (and yes, plenty of shopping...some things never change lol). This entire time I had someone who lived through this entire history they are trying to recreate. That makes it even cooler for me now!

•   
    • Minion

No way no how for me. This is what the park needed badly!!! Sunshine plaza was just something I had t walk through in order to get to DCA now I have a whole area to enjoy strolling through instead of just by passing it!!!!!

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

My mother actually liked Sunshine Plaza...now I'm sure she'll like BVS too, but she said she's gonna miss the giant golden sun and the fountain.

I don't really get it, but then I've been (mostly) keeping up with BVS and I couldn't be more excited for it - looks like its gonna be great!

• Sock Puppet

BVS looks like its going to be so MUCH better! Can not wait!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast