Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Does anyone STILL prefer Sunshine Plaza over Bena Vista Street?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Main Street is an idealized midwestern town, and Buena Vista Street is an idealized Los Angeles. The real LA of the 20s and 30s was dirty and filled with crime, corruption and racial tension
    Maybe they should aim for REAL authenticity

• -

There are certain things I will miss and some that I won't. I'll miss the Beach Boys most of all, but also the wave fountain, murals, and the train. I won't miss the baren concrete landscape, however.

Aside from the generic freeway overpass, Buena Vista Street looks great.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Lighting Design Lover

There's a huge difference between being missing something and preferring one over the other.

BVS is far superior, sure, but there were elements of sunshine plaza that were quite nice. The overall idea of the entrance was very interesting and creative and really embodied the meta-culture of California, it just didn't read well when you actually walked through it. The mural for example was really very beautiful (for a two-dimensional mural) and would have been a great addition to a state park or the front of a California based museum, unfortunately it just didn't spawn the immersive atmosphere we all look for in Disney.

Also I, for one, will miss the presence of the Golden Gate Bridge in California Adventure, even if it didn't belong at the entrance.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Does anyone STILL prefer Sunshine Plaza over Buena Vista Street?

I actually agree with MrLiver quite a bit. For all of the problems, arrogance and misdirection that went into Disney's California Adventure, it still represented a willingness to try and do something different with theme parks. It may all be expensive and ornate, but the "new" Disney's California Adventure is very much about going with safe bets. Even Buena Vista Street has its safety net in not only going back to Main Street, USA but also the connection to Walt and Disney history being made overt.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I actually agree with MrLiver quite a bit. For all of the problems, arrogance and misdirection that went into Disney's California Adventure, it still represented a willingness to try and do something different with theme parks. It may all be expensive and ornate, but the "new" Disney's California Adventure is very much about going with safe bets. Even Buena Vista Street has its safety net in not only going back to Main Street, USA but also the connection to Walt and Disney history being made overt.
    Sure I dont think anyone can deny that, but the BIGGEST issue with DCA 1.0 is that not only did it lack the elements of a typical Disney park ie, fantasy, historical themes, story, etc a lot of people hated that Walt Disney wasnt represented in it. So yeah they definitely went the safe route, but same time they are really giving Disney fans what they want! BVS really is the answer to what everyone hated about DCA 1.0 and in that sense Sunshine Plaza!

I really love everything about BVS and the fact it mirrors MS is even cooler to me! MS and BVS both have this symbiotic connection! I dont know why they didnt come up with this idea the FIRST time, but they were too busy penny pinching as much as possible I'm guessing. How else can you explain the City Walk vibe, giant hub cap and an out of scale GGB as your entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Sure I dont think anyone can deny that, but the BIGGEST issue with DCA 1.0 is that not only did it lack the elements of a typical Disney park ie, fantasy, historical themes, story, etc a lot of people hated that Walt Disney wasnt represented in it. So yeah they definitely went the safe route, but same time they are really giving Disney fans what they want! BVS really is the answer to what everyone hated about DCA 1.0 and in that sense Sunshine Plaza!

I really love everything about BVS and the fact it mirrors MS is even cooler to me! MS and BVS both have this symbiotic connection! I dont know why they didnt come up with this idea the FIRST time, but they were too busy penny pinching as much as possible I'm guessing. How else can you explain the City Walk vibe, giant hub cap and an out of scale GGB as your entrance?
    This. The first time I went to DCA, something about it did not feel very "Disney" to me and I kinda wondered what it was doing there. But despite that, I enjoyed it for what it was. Not in the same way that I enjoy Disneyland, but I enjoyed it. I will miss the old fountain and walking under the GGB, but I'm excited to walk down BVS and I think I will enjoy it much, much more.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• keh!

do i prefer the weak, droopy golden gate bridge? the awful hubcap sun surrounded by plain concrete? the lazy designed post card theme? the awkwardly curved mural? NEVER. BVS all the way.

the only thing i thought was sort of cool was the train. but i can do with out it for the MUCH improved BVS.

sorry, but if you prefer the old entrance, you have zero credibility in everything.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    sorry, but if you prefer the old entrance, you have zero credibility in everything.
    How does one's opinion - a thing that is entirely subjective - reflect one's credibility? If I needed a kidney transplant, I wouldn't turn down a prestigious surgeon just because he liked the Sunshine Plaza.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I'm so freaked out right now! I had no idea that this message board was full of time-travelers who can advance through the time/space continuum to July 15th, 2012 when all of Buena Vista Street is finished and can report back to us on what it's like and how it's better or worse than the Sun Plaza or Main Street USA.

How is this seemingly impossible feat possible? And how did you all gain access to this mysterious time travel technology without being questioned by the CIA, the NSA, the Air Force Military Police, Homeland Security, or at least Will Smith wearing a black suit???

So long as several of you here can time travel six weeks into the future and tell us what Buena Vista Street is like to walk through and experience in its entirety, can you also give us a hint on how low Facebook stock will drop? And what about all these bank panics going on in Europe? Any short term investment advice you can give us civilians stuck in the current time?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

For years, the running punchline about DCA was "Here you leave the world of today and enter the world of.....today." DCA 1.0 was a rancid, hideous, disaster of a park which was solely the result of corporate suits trying to come up with the very cheapest option to open a new park. Disney received a slap in the face when they opened this new "theme" park and no one came. DCA 2.0, on the other hand, DOES take you somewhere as you enter and you have to hand it to Disney for admitting its earlier mistakes and actually doing something about it. Buena Vista Street is gorgeous and I'm still in shock that Disney would fork out this much money to create a park that people will actually want to spend an entire day in.

Kudos to Disney, and good riddance to DCA 1.0.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How does one's opinion - a thing that is entirely subjective - reflect one's credibility? If I needed a kidney transplant, I wouldn't turn down a prestigious surgeon just because he liked the Sunshine Plaza.
    i would.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123