Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Disney waterparks?

Why dosen't California have a Disney waterpark yet? We got the weather! If they did build one what would you like the theam to be? Personally I love blizzard beach in Florida
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Disney waterparks?

Nice idea.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I guess...space...but I don't get it...here in CA...we have nice weather now from like April-October.....I mean really I'm sure DISNEY could have the park open everyday of the year besides...very cold days and rainy days and make some good money

ok so this is pure speculation based on an article i read awhile back. The reason Disneyland doesn't have a waterpark yet is because of a contract/agreement Disney entered with Anaheim. When Disney bought the piece of land that woody and friends parking lot sits they had intended on using that as the water park or as overflow parking and the water park would go somewhere else. Anaheim for whatever reason got Disney to promise not to build a water park right away and wait I think it was 10 years. Any how i dont have the reference to back this up so take this with a grain of salt unless you can find the artical

I think it would be great if they built a water park. We had so much fun when we went to Blizzard Beach and it was in Feb. It was a little chilly but the water was heated. We live in AZ and we are always amazed that there are only a couple of water parks here. It is hot most of the year. It's also weird that they don't even open them up until Memorial Day and close them at Labor Day. I don't get it.

Looking at the attendance figures for the waterparks at WDW in Florida, I was surprised by how few visitors they get (@1.5 million/yr). Considering that the climate there is more suited to a waterparks, and DCA's attendance is considered weak @6.5 million/yr, my guess is that Disney would want third park in Anaheim to pull much higher numbers of visitors than a waterpark gets.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 05-31-2012 at 02:38 PM.

• "What? What?"

There are three water parks close by... Knott Water Whatever, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, and Raging Waters... (They existed when I was in highschool 10 years ago at least, I don't know now). And I am pretty sure they don't do very good numbers in attendance. I know the Knotts and Six Flags one are only open poritions of the year.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• formerly very helpful

I think this is it. Too much competition. I don't think people would be as discerning about a water park as they would about a theme park. They'd go for the cheapest, which would not be a good thing for Disney.

However, IF they were, my favorite was Typhoon Lagoon. I loved the tropical atmosphere. Like I was playing in an island getaway. Blizzard Beach just played on my mind too much. It was like I SHOULD have been freezing, but I wasn't....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    There are three water parks close by... Knott Water Whatever, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, and Raging Waters... (They existed when I was in highschool 10 years ago at least, I don't know now). And I am pretty sure they don't do very good numbers in attendance. I know the Knotts and Six Flags one are only open poritions of the year.
    The Knott's one is Soak City and it is just a few miles away from the DLR. It's cheap as heck, you can get a season pass for $59.99 and go as many times as you want to on your Disney vacation. Yet...few people do. Of all the new things Disney could build, a water park would be extremely low on my wish list.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Whats Great wolf Lodge then, i thought that was somehow part of disney now? or is that another company just trying to make park revenue?

( its in Garden Grove near the Hotel Circle..theres a huge sign for the place in the front for winter 2012?)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    Whats Great wolf Lodge then, i thought that was somehow part of disney now? or is that another company just trying to make park revenue?

( its in Garden Grove near the Hotel Circle..theres a huge sign for the place in the front for winter 2012?)
    It's a separate company and their water park is only open to hotel guests. But of course they are trying to attract Disney visitors.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    Yeah but....see I'd be willing to spend more to go to a Disney Water Park (not over 80) but more then 40 bucks...because they would be themed....better slides and have more slides overall a much better place to be.

I go to Hurricane Harbor now just because I got a FREE pass to it when me and 4 friends got passes (for 60 bucks) to me that was WAY to good of a value but I'm sure if Disney had one I'd upgrade my pass to include the water park too

1) Land is too expensive in the DLR area for a park that only operates May-Oct - mainly when school is out.

2) Land actually owned is destined for add'l parking for the DLR (Pumba) or a 3rd Gate (Toy Story) which will produce revenue year-round.

3) Competition - Raging Waters in San Dimas, Wild Rivers in Irvine, Soak City in Buena Park - they would eat away at the "premium" Disney charges for their parks.

4) DLR really makes it's money on Day-visits, not long-term stay guests. I agree, the key is to keep Disney Resort Guests on-property, but they make up a much smaller percentage of daily guests than day-trippers/AP holders..... In Orlando, they very much "trap" their guests on-property (unless they rent a car or take a taxi to USH), water-parks make a difference for a family staying a week - in Anaheim, few guests stay more than 3 days........ basically, it's a perk in Orlando, in Anaheim, it's overhead......

Basically, the demographics of the area DLR is in and WDW is in are completely different. Orlando has land available, Anaheim does not, the return on investment for a waterpark versus the return on investment for a year-round third gate are not comparable.......

Theoretically, some here have suggested a smaller version waterpark behind the Paradise Pier Hotel......... There seems to be room for it, but not on the scale of Blizzard Beach - and the remaining issue is capacity, if it is so much smaller, do you restrict access to it to guests at Disney-owned hotels? Good-neighbor hotels might resent the loss of income from Disney poaching their guests (and their bar tabs) from their own pools........ But basically, I don't think the area behind PPH is large enough for a full-fledged waterpark built to Disney standards and, like I said, the return on investment is low.......

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    The Knott's one is Soak City and it is just a few miles away from the DLR. It's cheap as heck, you can get a season pass for $59.99 and go as many times as you want to on your Disney vacation. Yet...few people do. Of all the new things Disney could build, a water park would be extremely low on my wish list.
    Theres another water park just a few miles from Disneyland that is not only absolutley free but is alao open for the entire year. It's called the beach.

All joking aside, if you look at the top 20 water parks in North America only one in California is listed. That would be Raging Waters, and it isn't even in the top 10. I'm sure Disney realizes this and figures it shouldn't even bother. There are water parks in California -- they just aren't that popular.

• Banned User

I realy think the weather is the major factor. The weather in SoCal realy doesnt live up to its reputation. Its realy only warm enough in the heart of the summer and even in those summer months it is usually the coolest spot, outside of the northwest, in the entire country. It warms up here in Texas and all over the south much earlier in the spring than it does in SoCal. A waterpark there couldnt be open long enough to make in worth their while. And, even in summer, mornings are cold and it can get cold in the evening fairly early. I dont see it ever happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast