• Unhelpful User

Will Virtual Imagineering take over the Disney parks?

I saw a recent imagineer report on the future of disney parks and their virtual Imagineering they want to make every single ride in their parks virtual will this work or is this good for the all time classics like Haunted Mansion and POTC what do you think?

• Minion

Re: Will Virtual Imagineering take over the Disney parks?

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    I saw a recent imagineer report on the future of disney parks and their virtual Imagineering they want to make every single ride in their parks virtual will this work or is this good for the all time classics like Haunted Mansion and POTC what do you think?
    What you saw was merely a tool to mock up how an attraction will look in 3-dimensions before WDI starts construction. It is merely used as a sort of "virtual reality" to make sure the layout and schematics of the project work before construction starts.

The virtual technology won't replace attractions, just be used to plan them.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    I can see it now, Tony Baxter talking in an interview: "...and for next year, we will be replacing all of the pirates audio-animatronics with *dramatic pause* Projection Screens! It's going to be the next big thing in the future of our rides, you can sit down in your boat and sit and watch the action unfold in front of you very eyes on the screens! Oh, and it comes with a new ride system aswell, we'll replace the water and the boats with a theater!"

In my opinion "virtual reality" does not belong in Disneyland. Unless it can replicate something that is impossible in the real world and make it seem 100% like the real world to the viewer, then no, it should stay away. Physical representations of things hold a much larger impact on the guests.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

So very Matrix...

I can just picture us all hooking ourselves up to go on Space Mountain.

Hey, there you go! Merge this thread with the one discussing Tomorrowland's future. This is the solution!

Kidding of course.
    I would be very interested to watch a documentary on how they use those techniques in designing attractions. Very interesting!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evanator View Post
    I can see it now, Tony Baxter talking in an interview: "...and for next year, we will be replacing all of the pirates audio-animatronics with *dramatic pause* Projection Screens! It's going to be the next big thing in the future of our rides, you can sit down in your boat and sit and watch the action unfold in front of you very eyes on the screens! Oh, and it comes with a new ride system aswell, we'll replace the water and the boats with a theater!"

In my opinion "virtual reality" does not belong in Disneyland. Unless it can replicate something that is impossible in the real world and make it seem 100% like the real world to the viewer, then no, it should stay away. Physical representations of things hold a much larger impact on the guests.
    Please read my earlier post.

Virtual reality is not replacing anything in the Parks. It is merely used as a tool in WDI to mock up the schematics of a new project before construction starts.

• Minion

I thought Michael Eisner wanted Disneyland to be about turning movies into rides - not turning rides into movies.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Please read my earlier post.

Virtual reality is not replacing anything in the Parks. It is merely used as a tool in WDI to mock up the schematics of a new project before construction starts.
    Yea, I do remember seeing that video, and that's what I had originally thought the post was going to be about, but when it wasn't I came up with that response. Thanks for being a bearer of the truth!

• Lighting Design Lover

Why use "virtual reality" when you already have reality?

...As everyone else already mentioned, those are virtual simulators or WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get, pronounced wis-E-wig) programs used for planning stages!

• Senior Minion

What you saw was merely a tool to mock up how an attraction will look in 3-dimensions before WDI starts construction. It is merely used as a sort of "virtual reality" to make sure the layout and schematics of the project work before construction starts.
    Exactly. It's the equivalent of animatics or pre-vis in filmmaking.

The virtual technology won't replace attractions, just be used to plan them.
    That is something I very much hope is true. Especially after seeing FNSV.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    That is something I very much hope is true. Especially after seeing FNSV.
    I think the future is to try and seamlessly combining the virtual and the physical. Supposedly transformers does this quite well?
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Ever read Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom?

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    But think of the time you would save not having to wait in line!
    It would also do away with fast passes.
    But on a serious note, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Virtual Reality technology
    like that used by Layer.

They now have augmented video examples. Let me be clear though, I don't ever see this as replacing the physical version of DL.
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.