Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Time Travel Volunteer

DCA - Buena Vista St & the Red Car News Boys

It's been a while since I've been on Mice Chat, but this is something I felt strongly warranted a return.

Today I had some free time and decided to go into the park and among other things, ride Tower of Terror. While back by the giant gate next to the Hollywood Tower Hotel, I very clearly heard rehearsals going on backstage for what was without a doubt the News Boys. And honestly, I was not thrilled. Why? Because the majority of the show was accompanied by techno/electronic music, and only the last few minutes were what the
    Disney Parks Blog has referred to as “Inspired by the spirit and style of Disney’s “Newsies,”

All I have to say is, NO. Why on Earth would you pump all this effort and hard work and money into creating an awesome 1920’s/30’s environment, only to ruin it with music that doesn’t fit your surroundings?! And the reason people love Newsies - myself included - is because it’s done well, not because it’s “hip”. I’ve never heard anyone say the one thing Newsies was lacking was contemporary music. I also don’t recall hearing any reviews of the very popular and critically acclaimed Newsies musical on Broadway that called the show’s music “not cool enough” or said that it needed to be more up-to-date music.

This is just beyond stupid to me, and I just had to throw it out there and see what other people might think about it.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

• Musical Fireman

Re: DCA - Buena Vista St & the Red Car News Boys

Friend no offense but you might just be jumping the gun. There is other entertainment being rehearsed as well you might have heard a rehearsal for the Disney Dance show that is going to be in Hollywoodland. You might be right but until I see the show I'm holding my breath.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Time Travel Volunteer

I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I can't think of other shows that are currently being rehearsed that would feature "California, Here I Come" or "Seize the Day".

At any rate, entertain the notion that this is a possibility for that show... what WOULD any of you think if techno music was a part of that show?

-Mark Twain

• Minion

I'm surprised that they are using pre-existing music for a new show. Unless this is supposed to be some kind of advertisement for their Broadway show, why not write new music...like they have for virtually every other street show?

• Time Travel Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I'm surprised that they are using pre-existing music for a new show. Unless this is supposed to be some kind of advertisement for their Broadway show, why not write new music...like they have for virtually every other street show?

What about Pixar Play Parade? Or Block Party Bash? Or the 200 different High School Musical shows? Or really 90% of the entertainment offerings in the parks? The only original songs I can think of that have been created for shows in the last year or so is the Soundsational music, which only breaks up other pre-existing music.

But the point isn't that they're doing a "Newsies" themed show (which this is NOT), the point is the inclusion of anachronistic music that destroys theming only to cater to those who would rather be at the T Party and most likely don't care about this style of entertainment or Buena Vista St in the first place.

Just think... what if there was a mariachi band in Tomorrowland? I like mariachi music is fine... but in the right setting! Why put music that doesn't match the surroundings into those surroundings?

-Mark Twain

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Chuck View Post
    I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I can't think of other shows that are currently being rehearsed that would feature "California, Here I Come" or "Seize the Day".

At any rate, entertain the notion that this is a possibility for that show... what WOULD any of you think if techno music was a part of that show?
    If the actual street show features this music, guest response will cause it to be changed.

Or not, if guests like it.

Is it at all possible that you heard a rehearsal (and rehearsals ARE, after all, where we find out what doesn't work) for an opening day presentation, never to be seen again, and not the permanent Trolley show? Perhaps a show for Disney execs or investors, never to be seen by the public? There are many possibilities that the average Disney Geek isn't privy to.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Minion FOREVER!

Call me dubious on this point.

Disney is pretty good about matching music to the situation. (In some cases, masterful)
    There's absolutely no reason why they would match this show centered in BVS placed in 20's with techno. (Like some renegade from ElecTroniCa)

By the way, what led you to believe that it was for the "Newsies?"

Anyway, it's not too much longer now.... in just 11 days, we'll find out.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Chuck View Post
    Just think... what if there was a mariachi band in Tomorrowland? I like mariachi music is fine... but in the right setting! Why put music that doesn't match the surroundings into those surroundings?
    Or a 1950's cover band, 1980's cover band, or ska band in Tomorrowland...oh wait they do do that lol

• Time Travel Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    If the actual street show features this music, guest response will cause it to be changed.

Or not, if guests like it.

Is it at all possible that you heard a rehearsal (and rehearsals ARE, after all, where we find out what doesn't work) for an opening day presentation, never to be seen again, and not the permanent Trolley show? Perhaps a show for Disney execs or investors, never to be seen by the public? There are many possibilities that the average Disney Geek isn't privy to.
    You're right, a lot of things get special one-time only performances, but to my knowledge nothing opened that day. Perhaps it was a rehearsal done for execs or management, but (please see below) I have my reasons to think otherwise. All I'll say is that I hope that the music becomes more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Call me dubious on this point.

Disney is pretty good about matching music to the situation. (In some cases, masterful)
    There's absolutely no reason why they would match this show centered in BVS placed in 20's with techno. (Like some renegade from ElecTroniCa)

By the way, what led you to believe that it was for the "Newsies?"
    I'm with you and I always think info should be taken with a grain of salt, so be as dubious as you wish.

But just let me say this, they sing a song from "Newsies" and we all know that there's going to be an entertainment offering called the Red Car News Boys. It doesn't take a detective to make the connection. I'm reasonably sure that the Five & Dime group won't be performing that song, and it's even less likely that a song from a movie about 1920's newspaper boys could come out in Cars Land.

I happened to hear the rehearsals again and there were bells involved (trolley bells, I have to assume), and what I believe to be an original song with the lyrics, "...we are the News Boys, here to sell the news...". Now this doesn't really leave a lot of room for speculation for me, but feel free to theorize on what you think it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Or a 1950's cover band, 1980's cover band, or ska band in Tomorrowland...oh wait they do do that lol
    Well yeah, that doesn't make "thematic sense" either, but until we can get time traveling bands from the future to show up in Tomorrowland (a la Wyld Stallyns in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey), I doubt that musical acts in that particular land will ever really fit thematically. But those aren't Disney-produced entertainment, so that comparison isn't really fair.
    Last edited by Darkwing Chuck; 06-06-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling

-Mark Twain

• Under that tree again!

Breakings News: Red Car Blog Boys

The Red Car News Boys will be singing to electronic house music and have been renamed the Red Car Blog Boys. They will hand out mini e-readers and tablets.

Let me get this right, you are putting something down you have not seen and not even sure of what you were hearing, you just heard something through a gate? I think you might worry about something a little more important until you actually see & hear the show. Who knows, you might even like it if you go in with a open mind. Why get folks riled up over something you "think" might be happening? This is how rumors start.
    MZ DSNY

• Time Travel Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by jamwilson View Post
    Let me get this right, you are putting something down you have not seen and not even sure of what you were hearing, you just heard something through a gate? I think you might worry about something a little more important until you actually see & hear the show. Who knows, you might even like it if you go in with a open mind. Why get folks riled up over something you "think" might be happening? This is how rumors start.

Go back and read what I wrote. I never put the show itself down. I admit that yeah, I've not yet seen the show, so I agree that when I see the final product with my own eyes I can make a final judgement on it. What I did was question the motives of making an entirely new area with wonderful time-specific theming and then producing entertainment for that area with music that doesn't match, in regards to both style and the setting. Now I did say that I thought it was stupid (the mentality of having to make everything "hip", not the show itself) and yeah, that might have been a bit heavy-handed right off the bat, but having my "suspicions" more solidified by overhearing the rehearsals a second time doesn't really make me regret saying what I said.

As for how I go into things, I always go in with an open mind. Personally, I cannot stand the Cars movies, but went into Cars Land with an open mind and really enjoyed it. I'm not looking into getting anyone riled up (I don't remember making the call for the villagers to gather the torches and pitchforks...), I just asked what people's opinions would be on something like this.

---------- Post added 06-06-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Breakings News: Red Car Blog Boys

The Red Car News Boys will be singing to electronic house music and have been renamed the Red Car Blog Boys. They will hand out mini e-readers and tablets.

Nice.

-Mark Twain

By "techno/electronic music", What exactly do you mean? Like it sounds like Newsies at a Rave, or is it just obviously a keyboard instead of vintage instruments for the soundtrack, or is gansta mickey going to come out and start rapping?

I can't believe they would do something like that when the model at Disneyland works so well (Dapper Dans, Bill Hill etc). Why would they have techno newsies? Even the live music at paradise pier mostly fits the time period. Hmmmm. Guess we will find out next week.

It's probably for the opening day presentation. I don't think it's anything to raise concern over.

• Miss Marvel

Having dancing in a professional, touring production, I can tell you that there are variety of reasons you heard what you heard. It is entirely possible that the music is not finished/unavailable and they were just practicing to random music that had the same tempo/rhythm. It is also possible that they specially recorded rehearsal music to use until the final track is ready.

Maybe they were just warming up to upbeat music. Maybe you heard two different groups rehearsing at the same time. There IS downtime at rehearsals and it is common for people to split off and rehearse in a corner while the other group has the leader's attention.

The show is still 10 days out and A LOT can change with a new production in ten days, including massive re-writes. It is impossible for us to know exactly what you heard and I wasn't there to hear it. But all is not lost yet. There are many potential explanations.

Or we are getting futuristic newsboys. *shrug*
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast