Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: World of Color Enhancements - Glow with the Show

Quote Originally Posted by yoda1138777 View Post
    It's uses the same tech as this

Xylobands™ - As used by Coldplay
    Not according to Disney - and the xylobands are far more 'simple' devices.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

They also seemed to blink yellow off and on when near the traffic light in Cars Land.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    They also seemed to blink yellow off and on when near the traffic light in Cars Land.
    now that is just funny

That said though.. a fixed point like that should make it easy for someone to pinpoint where the IR emitters are what they look like in the park. Looking at the hat if it's IR you should be able to see the receivers.. and with some selective 'blocking' of the light paths be able to narrow the direction to the source and start investigating.

Someone needs to spend the $25 and do a tear down on these things
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I really wanted to grab a pair of these but the design leaves much to be desired! Anyone think they'll come out with other variations?
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• A Disney Examineer

I don't know if anyone posted this but I will anyway.

So far I know that the ears glow for World of Color, Fantasmic, Mad T Party, Luigi's Flying Tires, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Cars Land traffic light. It also works with other ears as well! If you put two ears next to each other they should synchronize the lighting!

Btw, with AP discounts the hats becomes $20 even!
    Last edited by KuyaHarrison; 06-17-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Ok folks, I've done some more research, and I found someone who has done a tear down on these! The hats have what's called a zigbee radio inside of them. The WOC speaker/light towere have transmitters that allow the viewing area to be broken into ten zones, each using a different frequency. The hat basically looks for the strongest frequency and assigns itself to that zone. Within the zone hats are assigned a label 0-26 allowing for all kinds of neat patterns and such!

Thanks to k5jmh on disboards.com for the info!

• Minion

Haunted Mansion and Pirates?? Like IN the actual rides? If so, that sounds incredibly obnoxious! It's bad enough we have to deal with kids and their spinning light toys on HM and PotC, now we have to deal with these new hats? Please tell me they only work in the queue areas.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Quote Originally Posted by KuyaHarrison View Post
    I don't know if anyone posted this but I will anyway.

So far I know that the ears glow for World of Color, Fantasmic, Mad T Party, Luigi's Flying Tires, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Cars Land traffic light. It also works with other ears as well! If you put two ears next to each other they should synchronize the lighting!

Btw, with AP discounts the hats becomes $20 even!
    KuyaHarrison, do you know what light patterns these ears show in HM, PoC, Fantasmic and Luigi's?

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• A Disney Examineer

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Haunted Mansion and Pirates?? Like IN the actual rides? If so, that sounds incredibly obnoxious! It's bad enough we have to deal with kids and their spinning light toys on HM and PotC, now we have to deal with these new hats? Please tell me they only work in the queue areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    KuyaHarrison, do you know what light patterns these ears show in HM, PoC, Fantasmic and Luigi's?
    I'm not quite sure, my friend who works there informed me all the locations work. I've only experienced World of Color, Mad T Party, LFT, and Cozy Cones. I'm going as much as possible to see which rides work, so I'll keep up with updates.

The zoning thing makes sense but it's most definintely not a zigbe radio (which says its based on 802.11. There is clearly an infrard receiver and emitter inside the ear (I looked). Additionally it's not like Disney has been hiding what tech it is. A quick search shows that they have said it is Infrared. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy View Post
    Ok folks, I've done some more research, and I found someone who has done a tear down on these! The hats have what's called a zigbee radio inside of them. The WOC speaker/light towere have transmitters that allow the viewing area to be broken into ten zones, each using a different frequency. The hat basically looks for the strongest frequency and assigns itself to that zone. Within the zone hats are assigned a label 0-26 allowing for all kinds of neat patterns and such!

Thanks to k5jmh on disboards.com for the info!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KuyaHarrison View Post
    I'm not quite sure, my friend who works there informed me all the locations work. I've only experienced World of Color, Mad T Party, LFT, and Cozy Cones. I'm going as much as possible to see which rides work, so I'll keep up with updates.
    My hypothetical answers:

For HM I could see the ears flashing with the lightning in the stretching room, the portrait gallery and maybe in sync with Constance's heart beat.

For PotC I could see the ears flashing during the burning town sequence.

• "What? What?"

Yes, I hope these chips instruct the hats to turn off inside of the rides...
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by d23tigger View Post
    The zoning thing makes sense but it's most definintely not a zigbe radio (which says its based on 802.11. There is clearly an infrard receiver and emitter inside the ear (I looked). Additionally it's not like Disney has been hiding what tech it is. A quick search shows that they have said it is Infrared. Just sayin
    As a nerd.. the first time i saw the the video i said "they have to be using something like the zigbee".

First, 802.11 isn't a frequency, its a standard. Zigbee's use the 802.15.4 standard. They normally use the 915MHz or 2.4GHz band to communicate (868MHZ in Europe).

Zigbee's are a low cost, low power way of creating a wireless mesh network (wiki page ZigBee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).. The exact thing that can be seen happening with the 'glow with the show' hats.

Whatever they are using... Hat's off to Disney (Ha! Pun!) for bringing this type of tech at such a low cost (For a hobbyist to buy a zigbee its ~$25 just for the chip).

So far, I don't see much wrong with this idea. The ears are a show themselves, are they not? Disney just found a fun new way to spice the parks up. Plus, I'm sure that if they find a problem (too many complaints about not being able to see) they're going to do something about it (discontinue the hats or not letting people have them on during shows).
    They could add the feature in some rides, but I'm sure that would be pretty distracting.

But, at this point, I just want to get one

Got the number wrong when I glazed over the spec. Regardless, I didn't say it was a frequency. I get that it is a IEEE standard. Thanks for showing me up

Have a look at any recent video of WoC. You can see the IR transmitters 'chirping' anytime a camera passes over a big speaker tower thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    As a nerd.. the first time i saw the the video i said "they have to be using something like the zigbee".

First, 802.11 isn't a frequency, its a standard. Zigbee's use the 802.15.4 standard. They normally use the 915MHz or 2.4GHz band to communicate (868MHZ in Europe).

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast