Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

Man, it's definitely a 'to each their own' kinda world out there.. I LOVE the Cars movies, both of them. Cars 2 wasn't what people were expecting, but I didn't find it to be horrible at all. The first one however? I really don't understand how people can say this is one of the lesser quality Pixar films. This movie had a great story line, a ton of heart and more memorable characters than quite a few of their other films. But, again, to each their own. (For instance, I am not a Wall-E fan whatsoever. And Ratatouille, was the worst. Not Cars OR Cars 2. P.S. Not talking financial here. Talking terrible script and total boredom)

All I know is that my son has known every single character's name since he was 2, and that is a lot of names to remember. Now, at 4, he still loves both movies and is SO excited about Cars Land.

I do like Radiator Springs as the name as well, but I don't mind the name they chose. :shrug: Nonetheless, I think this new "land" will do great and will be around for a long long time to come.

OH! My daugher loves the movies and is excited about Cars Land too!
    FAT KIDS UNITE!
    (Anyone can be a Fat Kid! You love food?, you're in!)

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know.." "I know!"

Quote Originally Posted by D23Divinity View Post
    For instance, I am not a Wall-E fan whatsoever. And Ratatouille, was the worst. Not Cars OR Cars 2. P.S. Not talking financial here. Talking terrible script and total boredom
    I... I can't breathe.

Help me Brad!

Name:  brad_bird.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.3 KB

Help me Patton!
    Name:  220px-Patton_Oswalt_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  15.6 KB

I'm just teasing, and I agree, to each their own! Though I have to say I think Ratatouille probably had the most engaging and mature script for a Pixar film thus far

I can see how it alienated people however. I don't see the appeal for children myself
    Last edited by ChurroMan; 06-03-2012 at 12:20 AM.

The answer is simple as far as it goes, The answer ( from my humble view ) is name recognition. As many from this very thread and pointed at. The Big boys at Disney’s main office probably can’t remember

Radiator Springs.
    Carburetor County.
    Cadillac Range,
    Ornament Valley.
    Stanley's Oasis.

But they remember “Cars” so they imagine the rest of us will remember the name “Cars Land” . I personally don’t think a whole land themed to a single ( or even two movies) is such a great idea. I mean at a time in 75 Disney had a huge hit ( by those days standards) with “The Apple dumpling Gang” ( which also had a sequel ) and you might laugh at the comparison today , but no one would have let them keep a part of the park called “Apple Dumpling land”. In time they will simply re-name the section of the park ..Radiator Springs, Carburetor County, or maybe route 66. Who knows. The characters and charm will remain just not the name.

And just to throw in two cents on merchandise. Disney no-longer needs to chase boys demographics anymore with every idea they can grab ( thank god). They have had the little girl sewn up for year with "Disney Princesses" and now they have boys with “Marvel Comics” . This may free up some of the pressure on the parks to be advertising venues .
    you don't have to be crazy to use this profile..but it helps

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Carsland is easier to say..and is linked to the movies more....sad but...true does not make the details any less grand but....maybe one day they will change it

Quote Originally Posted by jedi Stitch View Post
    But they remember “Cars” so they imagine the rest of us will remember the name “Cars Land” . I personally don’t think a whole land themed to a single ( or even two movies) is such a great idea. I mean at a time in 75 Disney had a huge hit ( by those days standards) with “The Apple dumpling Gang” ( which also had a sequel ) and you might laugh at the comparison today , but no one would have let them keep a part of the park called “Apple Dumpling land”. In time they will simply re-name the section of the park ..Radiator Springs, Carburetor County, or maybe route 66. Who knows. The characters and charm will remain just not the name.
    This is actually a good point. this is the first time that a movie has been explicitly a whole land at any disneypark in the world. and while it's funny now, in 20 or 30 years will kids even know about one of the weaker pixar entries? i can imagine by then a retheming of the area, eg "the mojave!" if they bother keeping the california motif, with the rides being rethemed too.

also the REAL REAL reason why it's carsland is because this is john lassetter's baby. beyond the merchandise and whatever else, i would imagine that when disney finally bought pixar and made all the pixar heads lords over disney animation, lassetter had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, and what he wanted was a carsland. park execs pretty much had to go along with it.

• revolutionary waltz

Honestly, I think the reason they picked the name "Cars Land" is because:

1. It's catchier than any of the other possible names.

2. That's honestly what people are going to call it anyway. Just like people refer to Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye as Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion as "that haunted house ride".

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    And we are back to the old question "Is Cars Land sustainable in the long run?". Since Cars and especially Cars 2 are a couple of the weaker Pixar releases the answer is "Not likely". . .
    The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House had a decent run well after that movie left theaters, and the Pete's Dragon float in the Electrical Parade was cool, even if many hadn't seen or loved that film. If Carsland is excellent it'll take on a life of its own. The HM & POTC were fantastic without movie connections.

It is possible for big failures or controversies to bring something down though. While Michael Jackson was alive, an attraction linked to him as closely as a siamese twin would not have thrived as strongly while he was associated (allegedly--there was only a large settlement--again allegedly) with. . . well, I don't even have to finish that because unfortunately you probably know.

• Lion

Cars Land instantly lets you know what the land is all about. Radiator Springs requires pre-requisite knowledge of the films.

Just like it's Splash Mountain (a mountain where you go splash) and not Song of the South Mountain (say what?)

And as for the land dating itself, it's already dated to a historical time and place.

And as for it being themed to a movie, it is and it isn't. It's also themed to Route 66, Roadside Americana, the California car culture of the 50s and 60s, and more. Even if nobody remembers the Cars films in 20 years, all that other stuff is still present and relevant. Just like nobody remembers the Brer Rabbit segment of Song of the South (most people have never even seen it, and most have probably never even heard of it) but it's still entertaining because it's enjoyable on its own.

Even if you've never seen Star Wars or Indiana Jones or the Wind in the Willows, you can still enjoy the attractions. I think Cars Land has an even deeper theme than those attractions, and thus why it's worth of an entire land. It celebrates so much that was this country in the 1950s and 60s... the architecture, the open road, the Southwest, drive-in restaurants, roadside attractions of Route 66, and much more. It's timeless in theme, even though it has a character overlay - but that overlay does not require knowledge of the films to be enjoyed, just like Splash Mountain doesn't require knowledge of Song of the South to be enjoyed just like Mr Toad's doesn't require knowledge of Wind in the Willows to be enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    What's a "carburetor"? Even a real NASCAR Sprint Cup race car doesn't use a carburetor anymore. Like passenger cars, they are now fuel injected. Cars Land will probably date itself into obsolescence at some point.
    Please tell me you're joking? That's like saying telegraph machines are dated so why does Disneyland have one tapping out a secret message at New Orleans Station... Or steam ships and sailing ships are dated so why have them on the Rivers of America... Or steam trains are dated so why have the Disneyland Railroad... Or... nevermind.

I'm still hoping this was a joke that went over my head.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    I... I can't breathe.

Help me Brad!

Name:  brad_bird.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.3 KB

. . . .

I'm just teasing, and I agree, to each their own! Though I have to say I think Ratatouille probably had the most engaging and mature script for a Pixar film thus far

I can see how it alienated people however. I don't see the appeal for children myself
    Thanks, ChurroMan!
    (But my 6-year-old loves Ratatouille . . . and Wall-E, btw. And she hates Cars 2.)
    With Brad Bird's animation skills (See "The Iron Giant"--really, see it!) and his surprising skill with live action (the best Mission Impossible movie), he is someone Disney should consider having around more.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-03-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: to emphasize Brad Bird

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I think there would be just as many complaints if it was RS like the name being too limiting and Cadillac range not fitting.
    No one could ever argue that Cadillac Range wouldn't fit, b/c it is based on a real place/thing (Cadillac Ranch, and this will always be part of any car culture for a few reasons).

---------- Post added 06-03-2012 at 07:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    I
    ummmm? A talking rodent?
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

If I said it once I've said it....a bunch of times. "Carsland" is easily the most clumsy name of any area found within a Disney resort. It doesn't represent a theme or a genre, like "Frontier", "Fantasy" or "Tomorrow." A car is simply a THING. As such, the name comes across like a used auto sales facility. "Come on down to Carsland and bring the wife! We've got deals, deals, deals!" I loved the idea of Radiator Springs in DCA, and I think it looks fantastic, but going for the BRAND rather than what makes sense was a huge mistake, IMO. The place really IS Radiator Springs, and to slap a goofy title on it just so people will make the connection with the movie was probably one of the most inane things that Lasseter and company have ever done. *end rant*

In the mean time, I'm still hoping against hope that Condor Flats doesn't become "Planesland."

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 06-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post

ummmm? A talking rodent?
    Since when has that appealed to children?

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    If I said it once I've said it....a bunch of times. "Carsland" is easily the most clumsy name of any area found within a Disney resort. It doesn't represent a theme or a genre, like "Frontier", "Fantasy" or "Tomorrow." A car is simply a THING.
    Incorrect. "Cars" represents an entire culture and era in American history (and California history). The freedom of the open road, cruising the PCH with the top down, exploring Route 66, "life is the journey not the destination" - that's what "Cars Land" is defined by.

Would you say that New Orleans Square represents a "theme or genre" any more so than "Cars" does? Just because the "Cars" in "Cars Land" does specifically refer to the film, doesn't mean that it can't also refer to the idea of car culture (which it does). Is New Orleans Square limited to only things present and accounted for in the real city of New Orleans? (Pirates of the Caribbean would have something to say about that). New Orleans is simply a CITY (aka a thing), but the land is more than that in spirit. Just as Cars Land is more than just about the noun "Cars" (the film or the physical object) in spirit.

Calling it "The Open Road" or "Cruisin'" or "Car Culture of the 50s and 60s" would be more appropriate titles but they would sound ridiculous. And it's only a name. Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?
    Last edited by simba; 06-03-2012 at 06:56 AM.

• 5 Star

The demographic of the land can be focused not only on boys, but also car enthusiasts as well. The sustainability is based in this nostalgia more than it is the franchise itself. It wouldn't have been my first choice for a new land, but I think they've den really well with the concept.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelWalrus View Post
    The demographic of the land can be focused not only on boys, but also car enthusiasts as well. The sustainability is based in this nostalgia more than it is the franchise itself. It wouldn't have been my first choice for a new land, but I think they've den really well with the concept.
    Yes, I think too many people are failing to realize that the land itself has a broad intrinsic appeal even if you've never heard of the Cars film. There are many periods in American history represented across the US theme parks, but very few (if any) focus so well on an era that has extreme nostalgia value as well as curiosity value among even those who were born well after the 50s.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast