Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    568

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Cars 2 was not a flop at all. The plot was vastly different than the first movie. Both movies made about 330M over thier budgeted cost.

    Cars 2


    Cars


    If you didn't like Cars 2, that's your opinion but the popular opinion disagrees with you.

    Also keep in mind that the merchandise sales that were huge, had an expanded offering and longer life because of Cars 2 extending the franchise.
    Never said Cars 2 was a flop. Quite the contrary. It's popularity and ability to fuel merchandise sales is the reason there is a Cars Land. Cars 2 just wasn't a very good movie and certainly not as good as the original Cars. Cars 2 ranks lowest with IMDb's rankings for Pixar films at 6.4. Most of the other Pixar films are in the 8.x territory with Wall-E and Toy Story 3 being the highest ranking Pixar movies. It is the only Pixar film to not even be nominated for an Academy Award since they created Best Animated Feature category.
    Last edited by DisneylandTraveler; 06-03-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

    http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

    75,000+ page views and counting.

  2. #32

    • We set sail for the sky
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    364

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Cars Land is more in line with the naming of the lands in both DCA and Disneyland (Hollywood Land, Adventure Land, Tomorrow Land, etc...). Also, by calling the land Cars Land, it blends in with the overall California theme of the park due to the state's car culture/history. I've always preferred Cars Land to Radiator Springs or any other name due to the K.I.S.S. principle: KISS principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

  3. #33

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    Cars Land is more in line with the naming of the lands in both DCA and Disneyland (Hollywood Land, Adventure Land, Tomorrow Land, etc...). Also, by calling the land Cars Land, it blends in with the overall California theme of the park due to the state's car culture/history. I've always preferred Cars Land to Radiator Springs or any other name due to the K.I.S.S. principle: KISS principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Exactly, naming it something like Radiator Springs would only cause people to scratch their heads unless they're very familiar with the movies. Cars Land immediately reminds you what the land is about.

    The land itself will do the talking once you're in there.

    We're Disney enthusiasts - we remember the name of every land and every attraction. But speaking from experience with my relatives, the general public is easily overwhelmed by a plethora of deeper and/or complicated names for lands and attractions. It quickly becomes a mish-mash of confusing jumbles of words and lands. Cars Land. Short, sweet, to the point, and there's no mistaking that it's about Cars (the film) and/or cars (the vehicles) and/or cars (the culture).

  4. #34

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Incorrect. "Cars" represents an entire culture and era in American history (and California history). The freedom of the open road, cruising the PCH with the top down, exploring Route 66, "life is the journey not the destination" - that's what "Cars Land" is defined by.

    Would you say that New Orleans Square represents a "theme or genre" any more so than "Cars" does? Just because the "Cars" in "Cars Land" does specifically refer to the film, doesn't mean that it can't also refer to the idea of car culture (which it does). Is New Orleans Square limited to only things present and accounted for in the real city of New Orleans? (Pirates of the Caribbean would have something to say about that). New Orleans is simply a CITY (aka a thing), but the land is more than that in spirit. Just as Cars Land is more than just about the noun "Cars" (the film or the physical object) in spirit.

    Calling it "The Open Road" or "Cruisin'" or "Car Culture of the 50s and 60s" would be more appropriate titles but they would sound ridiculous. And it's only a name. Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?
    I'm sorry but this post comes across as extremely ignorant. Nobody is 'incorrect'...many people feel Carsland is a very limiting name and for good reason. Though you may feel cars embodies certain broad themes (I'm not going to be rude enough to call you flat-out incorrect, mind you) it isn't unreasonable to feel differently--Route 66, Americana Desert, anything like that has a nice ring to it that gets that message across, just like Adventure, Frontier, Tomorrow, and Fantasy are associated with certain themes. Cars are just a thing--that's a fact. When I think of a car, I think of certain models, machines that get you from point A to point B. American Garffiti, Route 66, the Pacific Coast Highway, Mel's Drive-In, THOSE things do remind me of the themes Carsland is going for.

    But I can assure you that even though your opinion is a bit non-conventional, it's not 'incorrect'. But I'm pretty sure Cars-land was not chosen as the name to embody those themes--it was chosen so people would associate it with the movie, then go buy toys.

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    897

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    No one could ever argue that Cadillac Range wouldn't fit, b/c it is based on a real place/thing (Cadillac Ranch, and this will always be part of any car culture for a few reasons).

    I meant it wouldn't fit because CR is not exactly in RS. Theme wise it fits, but Im just speculating that people here would complain that CR would not fit under the name Cars Land
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  6. #36

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I'm sorry but this post comes across as extremely ignorant. Nobody is 'incorrect'...many people feel Carsland is a very limiting name and for good reason. Though you may feel cars embodies certain broad themes (I'm not going to be rude enough to call you flat-out incorrect, mind you) it isn't unreasonable to feel differently--Route 66, Americana Desert, anything like that has a nice ring to it that gets that message across, just like Adventure, Frontier, Tomorrow, and Fantasy are associated with certain themes. Cars are just a thing--that's a fact. When I think of a car, I think of certain models, machines that get you from point A to point B. American Garffiti, Route 66, the Pacific Coast Highway, Mel's Drive-In, THOSE things do remind me of the themes Carsland is going for.

    But I can assure you that even though your opinion is a bit non-conventional, it's not 'incorrect'. But I'm pretty sure Cars-land was not chosen as the name to embody those themes--it was chosen so people would associate it with the movie, then go buy toys.
    The part that was incorrect was this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    "Carsland" is easily the most clumsy name of any area found within a Disney resort. It doesn't represent a theme or a genre, like "Frontier", "Fantasy" or "Tomorrow." A car is simply a THING.
    Specifically, I was referring to this part:

    "It doesn't represent a theme or a genre"

    Which is blatantly incorrect. "Cars Land" does represent a theme or a genre. It represents the theme of not only the film Cars (which in and of itself is a theme) but also car culture (which is a theme and by some definitions a genre). Even if you de-capitalize the C in Cars to just go with the general "cars land," cars are a theme. You can have a restaurant themed to cars, you can have a birthday party themed to cars, you can have a room in your house decorated to the theme of cars... cars in general is a pretty huge thing that some people have even dedicated their lives to. Don't tell a custom car builder that "cars" aren't a theme or a genre. It's LIFE to some people.

    Saying that Cars Land (the name) doesn't represent a theme or genre is technically incorrect. Mac Daddy wasn't stating an opinion (which I could therefore never call "incorrect"), he was making a statement of fact that was factually incorrect.

    Now, if you want to say "I don't like the theme" or "it's not a good theme" you have every right to do so. But in that case, I would prefer to see some sort of reasoning behind it, but even that isn't required.

  7. #37

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Yes, I think too many people are failing to realize that the land itself has a broad intrinsic appeal even if you've never heard of the Cars film. There are many periods in American history represented across the US theme parks, but very few (if any) focus so well on an era that has extreme nostalgia value as well as curiosity value among even those who were born well after the 50s.
    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    The part that was incorrect was this:



    Specifically, I was referring to this part:

    "It doesn't represent a theme or a genre"

    Which is blatantly incorrect. "Cars Land" does represent a theme or a genre. It represents the theme of not only the film Cars (which in and of itself is a theme) but also car culture (which is a theme and by some definitions a genre). Even if you de-capitalize the C in Cars to just go with the general "cars land," cars are a theme. You can have a restaurant themed to cars, you can have a birthday party themed to cars, you can have a room in your house decorated to the theme of cars... cars in general is a pretty huge thing that some people have even dedicated their lives to. Don't tell a custom car builder that "cars" aren't a theme or a genre. It's LIFE to some people.

    Saying that Cars Land (the name) doesn't represent a theme or genre is technically incorrect. Mac Daddy wasn't stating an opinion (which I could therefore never call "incorrect"), he was making a statement of fact that was factually incorrect.
    Cars isn't a theme though it is an object. You can THEME a restaurant or store or ride to anything--food, animals, or toilet paper, but that doesn't mean these things represent anything. Cars also stands for the car industry of TODAY--NASCAR, Formula 1, new models of sports cars, new models of minivans, everything...not just the 1950's Route 66 culture. That's why I think anyone is justified in assuming that Carsland was named primarily for merchandising and marketing reasons--they called it Carsland to be associated with a film franchise so that people would buy more.

  8. #38

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Cars isn't a theme though it is an object. You can THEME a restaurant or store or ride to anything--food, animals, or toilet paper, but that doesn't mean these things represent anything. Cars also stands for the car industry of TODAY--NASCAR, Formula 1, new models of sports cars, new models of minivans, everything...not just the 1950's Route 66 culture. That's why I think anyone is justified in assuming that Carsland was named primarily for merchandising and marketing reasons--they called it Carsland to be associated with a film franchise so that people would buy more.
    You can theme anything to a city (New Orleans) -- food, animals, or toilet paper, -- but that doesn't mean these things represent anything.

    If you want to strip the land down to it's uttermost essence (the name) then New Orleans Square isn't a theme (it's a city). Mickey's ToonTown isn't a theme (it's a place), Paradise Pier isn't a theme (it's a thing - a pier). But if you are going to be reasonable and admit that names like Paradise Pier and Cars Land are more than just the NOUN that they refer to, it's incredibly easy to see that Cars Land is more than just about a hunk of metal and Paradise Pier is about more than just the greatest length of wood that sticks out into the ocean or that New Orleans Square is about more than about two story streets with railings on the 2nd floor.

    Cars is a theme. And if you take the smallest step away from the noun "cars" it becomes an entire ERA in our country's history, as well as a culture that many millions of people LIVED during our country's history.

    Also, your definition of "theme" is different from the real definition, as seen here (specifically number 2):

    1.a subject of discourse, discussion, meditation, orcomposition; topic: The need for world peace was the theme ofthe meeting.

    2.a unifying or dominant idea, motif, etc., as in a work of art.

    3.a short, informal essay, especially a school composition.


    According to any reasonable definition of a theme, Cars (and the de-capitalized "cars") is a theme, and a rather broad one in the context of American culture.

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    551

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    How is cars not a theme?

    Anyway "Radiator Springs" is not a very exciting name to display on TV or on a billboard. Sounds like a spa. Carsland makes more sense for both fans of the franchise and those who've never heard of it

    Also I'm frankly getting tired of this merchandise talk. They would be pimping the same merchandise in that spot whether it was Carsland, Route 66, or Radiator Springs. How would calling it Radiator springs make it less specific to the franchise? It's not like people would be confused about whether or not to buy merch because it didn't have Cars in the title. That literally makes no sense and they would be selling the same merchandise anyway (heck even if it was a generic Car theme with the Radiator Springs tide)
    Last edited by ChurroMan; 06-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.

  10. #40

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,468

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Because there are no springs?

  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    61

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    This is actually a good point. this is the first time that a movie has been explicitly a whole land at any disneypark in the world.

    That is not correct, there are two previous examples:

    Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea is entirely themed to the world of The Little Mermaid.

    A Bugs Land at DCA is entirely themed to the world of A Bug's Life.

  12. #42

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Because there are no springs?
    Actually, there is, in Stanley's Oasis (in the RSR queue). According to the back story of Radiator Springs, Stanley found the springs and advertised free water to passing cars to get them to stop and buy things from him.

    ---------- Post added 06-03-2012 at 12:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    That is not correct, there are two previous examples:

    Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea is entirely themed to the world of The Little Mermaid.

    A Bugs Land at DCA is entirely themed to the world of A Bug's Life.
    And Toy Story Land at Hong Kong, although I guess you could say Toy Story is 3 movies, and it could be debated whether or not it was a "good" theme, but it is a land themed to a film franchise nonetheless.

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    61

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    [QUOTE
    And Toy Story Land at Hong Kong, although I guess you could say Toy Story is 3 movies, and it could be debated whether or not it was a "good" theme, but it is a land themed to a film franchise nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

    You are absolutely correct, forgot that one, three previous examples which clearly shows Disney and WDI have no issue with this direction and we should all expect to see more individual film/franchise themed lands in the future.

  14. #44

    • Oh, I just LOVE your hat!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Parade Route!
    Posts
    297

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post

    And Toy Story Land at Hong Kong, although I guess you could say Toy Story is 3 movies, and it could be debated whether or not it was a "good" theme, but it is a land themed to a film franchise nonetheless.

    Don't forget Toy Story Playland in Paris as well.
    Because Bert Said So!

  15. #45

    • Elven Queen of Caffeine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mordor, CA
    Posts
    1,648

    Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    In the mean time, I'm still hoping against hope that Condor Flats doesn't become "Planesland."


    That's fair. I mean if "Condor Flats" is OK, why not "Radiator Springs"?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Cars Land And BVS BEFORE June 15th?
    By sleepybear in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
  3. Cars Land and Buena Vista Street Hiring?
    By Firehouse Five in forum Break Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 02:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •