Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Question Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

Caveat that I've been a carpsycho since my first ride in a Pontiac GTO in 1964.

That said, am I missing something or is Disney spending a lot of money to showcase the gasoline era just at the time when everything's moving towards electricity, mass-transit, clean-air, and all that?
    ______
    Rachane

• revolutionary waltz

Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    Caveat that I've been a carpsycho since my first ride in a Pontiac GTO in 1964.

That said, am I missing something or is Disney spending a lot of money to showcase the gasoline era just at the time when everything's moving towards electricity, mass-transit, clean-air, and all that?
    Well, they did spend a lot of money showcasing an era of horse-riding (Frontierland), when the world was moving to gasoline, so why not?

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    And we are back to the old question "Is Cars Land sustainable in the long run?". Since Cars and especially Cars 2 are a couple of the weaker Pixar releases the answer is "Not likely". Homage to the internal combustion engine doesn't seem to be a very safe strategic direction. But in the short term - Ka-Ching$$$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Cars 2 was not a flop at all. The plot was vastly different than the first movie. Both movies made about 330M over thier budgeted cost.

If you didn't like Cars 2, that's your opinion but the popular opinion disagrees with you.

Also keep in mind that the merchandise sales that were huge, had an expanded offering and longer life because of Cars 2 extending the franchise.
    I've mentioned this in another thread, but with a 3 year old boy, I've seen each Cars film probably 30 times or more. My son love's both equally and never gets tired of watching them. Usually when I hear people not liking Cars 2, they are adults.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County
    Part of it is simply because John Lasseter wanted it that way, and part of it was due to Cars Land's origin. It was originally concieved as "Car Land" before the Cars movies were considered. The original land concept paid homage to California's love of the automobile. But that idea evolved and eveolved over time. Since the land is more about the characters and less about the place, the name makes a lot of sense. In fact, when you enter, you're a fellow car character, and not a human.

I do think it's odd considering all of the other land names in DCA - before they changed Hollywood Pictures Backlot to Hollywoodland. There was only one 'land' titled as such - a bugs land. The others had names that made it clear they were lands, but didn't have to have the tiresome "LAND" naming convention.

I think Radiator Springs would have been a much better name - although at the same time I think Hollywoodland is superior to Hollywood Pictures Backlot, mainly because the term 'Hollywoodland' is historical.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• some guy

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?
    This.

At IOA in Orlando, Harry Potter is officially called "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter". When my friends and I talk about it, we refer to it as Harry Potter Land, or Potterland, or just Potter. While we were there, we called it Hogsmeade.

Asking why they didn't call Carsland "Radiator Springs" is like asking why they didn't just call the Harry Potter park "Hogsmeade". If you are familiar with the source material, you already know the location, so it doesn't really matter what it's called. If you aren't, you have a better sense of what you'll find when you go there with names like "Cars Land" or "something something HARRY POTTER".

I guess the point is, why does it matter? I enjoyed the heck out of both lands and didn't think twice about what they were called while I was at either one. A rose by any other name, indeed.
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• Banned User

Dear Lord people is it really that big of a deal? I swear no matter what it is someone has to nitpick it. Be happy this land was even built in the first place.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Cars 2 was not a flop at all. The plot was vastly different than the first movie. Both movies made about 330M over thier budgeted cost.

Cars 2

Cars

If you didn't like Cars 2, that's your opinion but the popular opinion disagrees with you.

Also keep in mind that the merchandise sales that were huge, had an expanded offering and longer life because of Cars 2 extending the franchise.
    Popular opinon doesn't disagree. On Rotten Tomatoes Cars 2 got a 38% rotten. Thats even worse compared to the other Pixar movies, including Cars which got 74%. Keep in mind that every other Pixar film is in the 90% range.

• One More Day

Carsland is easier for children to pronounce.

• Minion

Personally, I'd prefer it to be called Radiator Springs, but I guess you could say Carsland is basically a West Coast equivalent to how the Animal Kingdom land-naming scheme works in that the main land itself has a simpler name, but the area itself is set in a specific place and the land is not just a generic label.

Carsland=Africa=Asia, Radiator Springs=Harambe=Anandapur.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by 999happyhants View Post
    Popular opinon doesn't disagree. On Rotten Tomatoes Cars 2 got a 38% rotten. Thats even worse compared to the other Pixar movies, including Cars which got 74%. Keep in mind that every other Pixar film is in the 90% range.
    At the end of the day what matters is how much money a movie made, clearly based on what it took at the box office, it was a popular movie for the average movie goer.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    Asking why they didn't call Carsland "Radiator Springs" is like asking why they didn't just call the Harry Potter park "Hogsmeade". If you are familiar with the source material, you already know the location, so it doesn't really matter what it's called. If you aren't, you have a better sense of what you'll find when you go there with names like "Cars Land" or "something something HARRY POTTER".

Great point!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234