Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

Are we trying to be Disneyesque to draw from the the "Lands" labels of the DLR main attraction sections, or are we just being most obvious with an association with the film title rather than the real "Land" area itself?

Help me out here.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Re: Why do you suppose it's Cars Land and not Radiator Springs County

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Are we trying to be Disneyesque to draw from the the "Lands" labels of the DLR main attraction sections, or are we just being most obvious with an association with the film title rather than the real "Land" area itself?
    It's all about the franchise title tie-in. Carsland got its green light and big budget for two reasons: the billion-dollar sales of Cars toys, and the fact that the demographic buying them is boys -- a demographic that Disney has been chasing for decades (and which they'd failed to grab, until Cars mechandise became a megahit).
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's all about the franchise title tie-in. Carsland got its green light and big budget for two reasons: the billion-dollar sales of Cars toys, and the fact that the demographic buying them is boys -- a demographic that Disney has been chasing for decades (and which they'd failed to grab, until Cars mechandise became a megahit).
    And we are back to the old question "Is Cars Land sustainable in the long run?". Since Cars and especially Cars 2 are a couple of the weaker Pixar releases the answer is "Not likely". Homage to the internal combustion engine doesn't seem to be a very safe strategic direction. But in the short term - Ka-Ching$$$$$
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

The land isn't just the town of Radiator Springs...it's Radiator Springs, Cadillac Range, Ornament Valley, and Stanley's Oasis.

•   
    • Minion

I am going with just a straight brand naming convention. I really wish it was Radiator Springs instead of Carsland

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    And we are back to the old question "Is Cars Land sustainable in the long run?". Since Cars and especially Cars 2 are a couple of the weaker Pixar releases the answer is "Not likely". Homage to the internal combustion engine doesn't seem to be a very safe strategic direction. But in the short term - Ka-Ching$$$$$
    Have to disagree. The money my husband and I have dumped into Cars stuff... the continued love for it... the now nostalgic affection my older one has for what he has now outgrown to play with actively....

... rivals only the complete mania both boys went through with their Thomas the Tank Engine phases of their earlier years....

Some characters and themes stick with you your whole life. Tinkerbell did with me. I still buy and wear all her stuff at Disneyland. A mouse lasted this long. Why not a car?

• Banned User

personally i think it has to do with the lack of brandability that most of DCA's lands share. Thus the rename of Hollywood Pictures Blacklot. Renaming it Hollywoodland isn't because it's name association, or the demographic of younger boys. The only real success of land names in DCA is Paradise Pier. We'll see how well it does, but i would have like to have seen a more original name, like route 66 or Radiator Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    Some characters and themes stick with you your whole life. Tinkerbell did with me. I still buy and wear all her stuff at Disneyland. A mouse lasted this long. Why not a car?
    I just struggle with that. Wall-E can survive the long term because he had a heart bigger than any human and it was just a great, great movie. Cars? Just not sure though I am willing to admit I could be wrong here. It could be a personal bias because of my incredible disappointment with the Cars 2 effort.

• Banned User

I agree with the Cars 2 sentiment but the first one had tons of heart

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Thankfully car culture is already a fitting theme for DCA so when and if franchise exhaustion sets in, "Cars Land" can become "Cars Land" overnight. It's not like any of the attractions force you to have pre existing knowledge of the franchise (unlike the criticisms thrown at TLM). It's just Cars with faces! Nobody in my family has seen Cars and I dislike the films but they, like myself, were blown away when they saw recent pictures of the land. Brand recognition is a plus but clearly not a prerequisite

It`s easy to see a future where Cars™ fades away and Cars Land continues to thrive.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

The town is Radiator Springs and Carburetor County

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    The town is Radiator Springs and Carburetor County
    What's a "carburetor"? Even a real NASCAR Sprint Cup race car doesn't use a carburetor anymore. Like passenger cars, they are now fuel injected. Cars Land will probably date itself into obsolescence at some point.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    The land isn't just the town of Radiator Springs...it's Radiator Springs, Cadillac Range, Ornament Valley, and Stanley's Oasis.
    And as Kritter noted, Radiator Springs is in Carburetor County.

Another reason might be that Carsland is just two easy syllables. The the first describes a familiar moving thing central to California culture for the last 100 years, even if Route 66 is mostly outside of California. The second syllable has a connection to other DisneyLAND areas.

Radiator Springs has five syllables, the first four of which are an automotive part that most guests aren't very familiar with, and the last syllable (Springs) is not particularly descriptive of this new area.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-03-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: REALLY bad typo (I should never post after 10pm.)

• Under that tree again!

Cars 2 was not a flop at all. The plot was vastly different than the first movie. Both movies made about 330M over thier budgeted cost.

Cars 2
    Cars
    If you didn't like Cars 2, that's your opinion but the popular opinion disagrees with you.

Also keep in mind that the merchandise sales that were huge, had an expanded offering and longer life because of Cars 2 extending the franchise.

I think the went with CL because, like others have said, the land doesn't just have radiator springs in it. Plus the name allows room for non Cars based expansion. I like it. I think there would be just as many complaints if it was RS like the name being too limiting and Cadillac range not fitting.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast