• Banned User

Should Disney split AP's between both parks?

For example , a Socal Select AP is $270. Should Disney give the option of buying a pass for either park at $135? Do you think they would be concerned that AP's for DCA would not sell as well as AP's for DL? Could we assume that a large portion of DCA park goers are AP holders who visit DCA only because it is included with their AP? Or does DCA have the strength to survive on its own? With 1 million AP holders who are given access to both parks , I don't think its ever been put to the test. But perhaps the rcent expansion will give it a chance to truly be independent of DL.If given the option, would you buy an AP for both parks even after the newness of Carsland and Buena Vista St has worn off? Personally, I would pay the $135 for DL but not for DCA. Thoughts anyone?

• Just good enough

Re: Should Disney split AP's between both parks?

Even with the renovations I don't think DCA could survive on its own AP system because it doesn't have the history that Disneyland does, bottom line.

And no they shouldn't split them because that would be a bad business move, especially if they are considered equals. If DCA were to be added on at a lesser cost than I could see this working. The big draw will always be Disneyland no matter what happens at DCA.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

See the thing is...DCA is not as good as Disney....I mean it has less rides/attractions, no real History yet, and not as loved....that's why I think Disney is crazy to keep DCA ticket prices the same as Disneyland....you pay the same price for less?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by misfits138 View Post
    Do you think they would be concerned that AP's for DCA would not sell as well as AP's for DL?
    That's exactly what Disney is concerned with, and for good reason: It has already been proven that a CA Adventure only pass will not sell. When the new park opened, they had the option of getting a pass for one park or the other or a more expensive pass for both. I think the fact that park specific annual passes do not exist today is a good indicator of how well that went over.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

buying an AP for only one park wouldn't work, who would get the DCA one? but i think buying an 'one park per day' AP for less could work. it would definitely encourage people to go to DCA every so often and when they do, they won't be crowding disneyland. this would be somewhat similar to the two-fer, which has been quite successful.

I wish they would but unfortunately they don't. I love DCA but we are being forced to pay for admission to that park when we buy an AP. I would much rather pay around 400 for a disneyland only pass but I think everyone would end up doing that.

I wish the AP model was more sophisticated than it is now. I'd like more options like a cheaper DL only premium AP with like 10 entries to DCA per year. Or a DL only pass with $5-10 per DCA entry. I'm sort of sick of being forced to pay for DCA. This is the one argument for keeping the parking lot I sort of agree with.

Oh well. We have DCA for good, so we might as well love it for what it is
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Banned User

They actually did that before OP! It was a few weeks before DCA opened in 2001! YEP, they had TWO passes at the time, one for DL and one for DCA! But DCA sucked so much on arrival they knew they wouldnt sell anything close to enough of them so they cancelled the DCA AP program and just combined it with DL for the few that did buy them and the rest is history! Its funny how NO ONE remembers that lol. But it was only for litterally a few weeks!

So they may try it again in the future, but not anytime soon. I'm guessing until DCA can sustain itself, REALLY sustain itself, which could be another 5-10 years I dont see that happening again.

And even if they did that, there will always be the combo option of course! TDR has both seperate passes for TDL and TDS and the combo passes for both. But TDS was a full day theme park on day one and had no problem getting 10+ million a year in attendance...unlike DCA!

I can definitely see what the OP intended with this thread but it wouldn't make a lot of sense at this time. If anything what they should do is create an additional lower price point Non- Park Hopper Annual Passport with blackout dates only around major holidays (New Years, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas). Now the major catch with this type of AP is that it would have alternating access to only one of the two parks daily. So it would look something like this:

Week One:

DL- Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    DCA- Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Week Two:
    DL- Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
    DCA- Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Holidays
    For the above listed Holidays the blackout dates would be 2 days before, the day of, and 2 days after the holidays and the pattern would stop continue as if there had not been a blackout date. For all other minor holidays the alternating pattern should create enough of a traffic diversion so as not to warrant additional blackout dates.

The same alternating access policy would apply to all reduced fare APs including those for SoCal Residents. SoCal Residents wishing to have a "Park Hopper" AP should have to pay the same rates as non-residents for a park hopper option in a Deluxe Passport.

What this would hopefully do is create a more predictable attendance pattern. Non-AP guests wanting to spend a good amount of time at Disneyland would be able to plan to go on a week where most reduced fare AP holders are restricted to DCA for the majority of the week.

Since the pattern alternates it is still provides fair access to both parks.

•   
    • Minion

I don't think it would ever work. DCA just doesn't have the strength to sustain itself. It doesn't have the range of restaurants, etc. that Epcot has to sustain its own pass, either.

• Rock Star Minion

Lots of questions, so, I'll number them and answer them.
    1. For example , a Socal Select AP is $270. Should Disney give the option of buying a pass for either park at $135?
    2. Do you think they would be concerned that AP's for DCA would not sell as well as AP's for DL?
    3. Could we assume that a large portion of DCA park goers are AP holders who visit DCA only because it is included with their AP?
    4. Or does DCA have the strength to survive on its own?

With 1 million AP holders who are given access to both parks , I don't think its ever been put to the test. But perhaps the rcent expansion will give it a chance to truly be independent of DL.
    5. If given the option, would you buy an AP for both parks even after the newness of Carsland and Buena Vista St has worn off?
    6. Personally, I would pay the $135 for DL but not for DCA. Thoughts anyone?
    1. There should be one-park APs, but not at half the price each. It has been established that the two parks are not equal in any respect. The current price is probably what a one-park AP to DL is worth. I'd probably price them at $220 for DL, $140 for DCA, $270 for both. That is, if I were in charge (and was not allowed to modify the AP Program the way I want to).
    2. I'm pretty sure that is exactly why there are not Single Park APs.
    3. Yes. I'm guessing 80% or so of the DCA attendance are APers.
    4. No, it doesn't. But it shouldn't have to. It complements the whole resort area. It keeps people from going to Knott's or Uni. It's where people go to avoid the crowds of DL. It's the AP Lounge. However, its construction and the amortization of those costs should have been paid for with DCA admissions. Without a reasonable method to estimate the value of a day at DCA, that burden fell to the whole resort -- meaning DL admissions. That meant no new major (E-ticket-level) attractions in DL while paying off DCA construction.
    5. It would depend on the price, but I don't have an AP now, so probably not.
    6. I'm sure lots of people would love to pay $135 for SoCalSelect DL-only AP. And those same people would not pay $135 for a SoCalSelect DCA-only AP.

These are my thoughts.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

The only they could split the passes is if DCA was lowered to a Knotts Berry Farm price of 69.99 with about 5-10 free days at Disneyland tied to it that might entice people to do it. The free days obviously would be not during the summer or on the weekends etc. I don't see it happening though too much overhead from the logistical side would need to happen and you would probably see it at Orlando first. The other option is a non park hopper AP could be introduced. One park one day.

• Banned User

I would prefer they sell seasonal passes like a spring, summer, fall/winter pass for DCA or Disneyland. I wouldn't mind paying $150 for 4 months each. Of course, the summer pass will be more expensive. There should be no blockout dates or it defeats the purpose.

• Sock Puppet

If you want Disneyland to be even MORE crowded, sure. Think of it this way, say you have a split AP... no one in their right mind will buy the DCA one. You now have one park with a small crowd (DCA) and Disneyland will have an even bigger crush of people, that now won't go over to DCA for awhile.

they will never do this if they offered DL AP only for half the price. The AP crowd would grow to well over a million members. Disney wants the AP program numbers to go down not up

• Disney is home

For example , a Socal Select AP is $270. Should Disney give the option of buying a pass for either park at $135? Do you think they would be concerned that AP's for DCA would not sell as well as AP's for DL? Could we assume that a large portion of DCA park goers are AP holders who visit DCA only because it is included with their AP? Or does DCA have the strength to survive on its own? With 1 million AP holders who are given access to both parks , I don't think its ever been put to the test. But perhaps the rcent expansion will give it a chance to truly be independent of DL.If given the option, would you buy an AP for both parks even after the newness of Carsland and Buena Vista St has worn off? Personally, I would pay the $135 for DL but not for DCA. Thoughts anyone?
    $135 would be too cheap and you would most likely see a huge increase in the AP population. A one day ticket is $87, which would only be a $48 difference. While I wish prices could be less, a price that low would be too attractive and would in the end create more crowding issues.