Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which attractions do you think will never go away?

Disneyland is a place chalk full of history, and everyone has their own individual memories of rides they liked when they were younger, restaurants they visited, shows they watched.

Inevitably, as the years pass, some of these things we cherished when we were younger have to make room for more modern rides and attractions.

What attraction/ride/show/restaurant do you think is absolutely timeless and won't be going anywhere for as long as Disneyland lasts?

Completely subjective, as nobody knows for sure obviously.

But I would like to hear your opinions and the reason behind why you think so.

I would argue that Fantasmic! is classic and won't go away, because already in that movie are characters from movies at least 20 years ago or more (Fantasia, the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White), and yet still, it is a beloved show by all, young and old, and to people who haven't even maybe seen some of these movies.

I turned Fantasia off because I was bored to death, but Fantasmic is still my all time favorite show.

Thoughts on this or other rides, attractions, or restaurants.

Re: Which attractions do you think will never go away?

Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tea Cups, Dumbo, Space Mountain, Train Station, Indiana Jones....I'm sure I'll think of more later.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Other than Chernabog and the Night On Bald Mountain sequence, and the reference to Mickey having magical powers, Fantasia and Fantasmic! have nothing to do with each other.

No ride is immune to being permanently closed down. I've already seen seemingly timeless classics close forever. And even classic rides like POTC or iasw have been changed so much that their original meaning is lessened and in risk of being lost forever.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 06-04-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Other than Chernabog and the Night On Bald Mountain sequence, and the reference to Mickey having magical powers, Fantasia and Fantasmic! have nothing to domwith each other.
    That's what I was referring to :P It's the climax of the show kind of, and even thought the music is not recognizable from anything I've seen, and the big scary monster is not anything from a movie I've seen, I still enjoy seeing it.

All the rides thought of as E-Ticket attractions probably would not be replaced though conceivably, they could morph into a different attraction. (i.e. Indiana Jones could be converted to WDW AK Dinosaur ride should there be a licensing issue at some point in the future. The 2 rides are essentially the same). The cost for completely tearing down a major attraction and replace it with something "bigger and better" would probably be price prohibitive. I also think all the transportation rides would continue (though monorails would continue on with new generations of trains).
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

I'm safe to bet Pirates and Haunted Mansion will be staying in place for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure closing one of these attractions will cause a lot of people to "disown" Disney.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I would think the Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, Mark Twain, the Castle, the Train, Pirates, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Carrousel.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

Disneyland Railroad.

• Closed Account

I used to think there were a bunch that would be there as long as Disneyland was there - Pirates, HM, IASW, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, the Matterhorn.

Then they got rid of the PeopleMover. And WDW got rid of the three original Future World attractions (Horizons, WoM, JII). Now I don't believe any attraction in a Disney park is sacred anymore.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, they ain't never gonna get rid of those stagecoaches and covered wagons, or the mule pack train, or that Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. I reckon Don Defore's Silver Banjo Barbeque is always gonna be there. And that Good Ol' Golden Horseshoe Revue...and those Indians over there showin' their native dances...they will be around forever.

So will those Mike Fink Keelboats out thar on the River...and those Horse drawn buggies and carriages and such along Main Street. They ain't goin' nowheres. And Cascade Peak...yessir, I reckon Big Thunder Falls will be flowin' forever down there by the river...

You see...try as they might...these young whippersnappers ain't never gonna be able to take away my fond memories of yesterday...the Golden Age...at Disneyland.

Every time I board the Disneyland Railroad or the Good Ol' Mark Twain Riverboat...I feel the foundation of Disneyland...it's still there...still strong...after all these years. Every time I board the Jungle Cruise or look up at Dumbo or fly off to Neverland with Peter Pan I feel the foundation of Disneyland.

Every time I look up at that window above the Fire Station in Town Square...and that light is still on...I feel the foundation of Disneyland. Ya see folks...Disneyland is a thing of the heart. I'm runnin' out of years now...but I sure ain't runnin' out of wonderful memories of the Happiest Place on Earth. Taint nobody gonna take them away...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, for me, the handful of attractions which I feel they'd have to be truly clueless or not care about the 'core' of the park or history have already been mentioned: the Disneyland railroad, Pirates, the Mark Twain, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, the Matterhorn, Storybook Land.

But, I will say, I no longer trust/just accept that all those are safe forever, or even less so for other 'classics' like Mr. Lincoln or Alice or the Tiki Room or Casey Jr. It's just a matter, if the park stays open long enough, for each individual loss and which specific fans something closing is 'the last straw' for. The park shouldn't be unchanging or a museum, but exactly which ride or element people won't forgive going away is subjective and different for most everyone. And modern company seems more willingly to push those boundaries of removal in favor of new media content based attractions at the same time as they upgrade or refurbish other 'classics'. So, impossible to say in the end what would never, ever leave or be changed to be no longer recognizable...I just know where my personal line is of Disneyland not being the same and not wanting to go any more. It's not near that point now, but the future is the future and impossible to predict.

Hate to say it, but no attraction is completely immune to the ax. Though I will say this: Disney won't remove attractions that are popular

Most of the imagineers that have a lineage that dates back to the time of Walt Disney have passed on, retired, or as some have speculated, forced out. Once all the protectors of history have been purged, then I suppose almost anything is fair game. I will continue say that I believe the BIG attractions are safe because the cost to replace them would be exorbitant. All those mountains are bought and paid for, same with those that have outside the berm show buildings - money in the bank. But you little guys, watch out....
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Pirates and HM......the rest could be redone at one point....or reimaginded like what Happened to the Mine Train through Wonderland..which is now Big Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Most of the imagineers that have a lineage that dates back to the time of Walt Disney have passed on, retired, or as some have speculated, forced out. Once all the protectors of history have been purged, then I suppose almost anything is fair game.
    The older Imagineers are often the ones most open toward removing classic attractions. Older Imagineers are obsessed with the new. In the early days, that was the only real job requirement for being an Imagineer. Marty Sklar once wrote a letter to an impassioned fan base who were against the removing of Carousel of Progress (back when that was seriously on the table). The letter writers cited the same old arguments: how it was part of the World's Fair, how it was Walt's favorite attraction, the Sherwin Bros song, the importance of its message...yada yada.

Marty wrote back that he wrote every version of any Carousel of Progress that has ever existed. That he personally took script notes from Walt. That he created the characters, stood in the room when Walt checked them, etc... That attraction was his own baby. He did not have a problem with removing it. He thought, like most of the original Imagineers did, that when an attraction's time has come, the right thing to do is move on.

It is actually the new Imagineers who are too slavish to the original attractions and are loathe to replace something so precious to their own childhoods. Their over-nostalgia makes them the "protectors of history" as you call it.

Sklar's response is here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast