Trip Report: The joy of Single Rider option.

I took a solo trip to the park on Sunday morning in hopes that the Matterhorn might be starting "soft openings".
    I said hi to the Chairman of the Board before heading to the hub and everything is done up with red, white, & blue for the 4th.
    Name:  carnation2.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  40.3 KBName:  mickey1.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  35.0 KBName:  town-hall1.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  36.8 KBName:  train-depot.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  37.1 KBName:  mini1.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  41.5 KB

The crowds were very low as they always seem to be, at rope drop on Sunday mornings.
    I can see my target in the distance, now just drop the rope!
    Name:  rope-drop-1.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  26.4 KB
    Sadly, not only was there no soft opening, there was no water fall or testing of the ride. I'm hoping they were inside working on details. I will have to try another day.
    Name:  matterhorn-no-water.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  36.2 KB
    So I hopped on Alice, Peter, Mr. Toad, Snow and Pinnochio. That took about an hour. Peter Pan was the longest wait of my whole trip, about 20min. Can I say one thing: Put down your phones and pay attention to the line! A big gap between you and the ride vehicle because "it seemed like the best time to tweet someone" slows it down for everyone.

I went on Pirates and there was no line at all. I tried taking some non-flash photos with my little pocket camera using tips I read on the photo threads here. Some worked, some didn't.
    Name:  potc1.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  38.9 KBName:  potc8.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  31.6 KBName:  potc7.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  29.1 KBName:  potc6.jpg
Size:  48.4 KBName:  potc5.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  24.5 KBName:  potc4.jpg
Size:  34.4 KBName:  potc2.jpg
Size:  36.1 KB
    The HM had no line so I went for a quick ride. Next I went on Splash. The single rider option is great, but that early in the morning, there's not much of a wait anyways. Now when I went for a second trip on Splash at noon, the wait was 60min. I went on in about 3min using single rider. Even the handicaped line was 30min wait!
    Next it was on to BTMRR. Wait time was 5min and no-one in line.
    Name:  big-thunder1.jpg
Size:  38.0 KBName:  big-thunder3.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  30.3 KBName:  big-thunder2.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  36.9 KB
    It was 10:00, so I went to DCA to ride a few things. I have no pix from DCA because the first thing I did was Grizzly River and put my stuff in a locker so it wouldn't get wet. I have seen the locker outside GRR before, but I never knew they were free for the first 2 hours. Yes FREE! (Someone at corporate must be asleep) I guess if you go over the time, you would need to put in $ or a credit card to get your stuff back. It worked great for me, because I got soaked! The ride was walk right on, but I don't know if they have a single rider option or not.
    Since I was already wet, I did the next logical thing... Little Mermaid. The new changes are really nice. I like this ride and go on it evry time. Oh, and there was no one in line.
    I next went to Goofy Sky School. I thought if the line was short I would go, but otherwise it's not worth the wait to me. But what do I see when I get there...a single rider gate. I walked right on and had no wait at all. Yeah!
    I then went on Soaring using the single rider option. There was a short wait because there were a few other single riders before me, but nothing like having to wait in that line outside in the sun! I was getting hungry, so I grabed a burger from the Pilots Grill next door. Not much of a wait here either, and I like that you can add your own tomato, lettuce, pickles etc. at the condiment bar. I pile a little extra on my burger so I can say I had a salad today.
    I then went back to Disneyland. I had a FP for Indy, but it was down. I had a FP for BTMRR, but it was down. So I went for a cruise on the Rivers of America. What a great way to check out the park and relax.
    So much for that empty POTC line!
    Name:  mikes-cabin.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  33.4 KBName:  gullywamper.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  36.6 KBName:  feeding-time1.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  37.4 KBName:  potc-long-line.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  38.7 KB
    It was starting to get crowded eveywhere else with both Indy and BTMRR dow at the same time, so I walked past the 60 min line at Splash into the single rider line and was on within minutes.
    I decided it was time to hit the road for the drive back to Smoke Tree Ranch in Palm Springs, but I stooped to watch Chip and Dale doing "Me and My Shadow" It was cute!
    Name:  Careful-with-That-Axe-Eugen.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  39.4 KBName:  chipndale1.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  36.9 KB
    Sadly,I think with the new opening of DCA in 12 days, my early Sundays mornings of a quite un-crowded pak, may come to an end.
    Last edited by PirateLover; 06-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.

• Not the Fallen

Re: Trip Report: The joy of Single Rider option.

Thanks for sharing!
    I actually went in April with some friends, but often went off and utilized the single-rider option when they were on the more extreme rides. It was really handy, and I enjoyed it!

• Bucket List Car

Nice report! I would love to go once by myself and just ride everything quickly!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Sounds like you had a fun day and got to ride quite a bit! I have used the single rider option on Indy a few times as hubby can't ride it. Didn't know it was so quick on Splash...

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Love those singe rider lines! I wish Space Mountain had one.

Sounds like a nice Sunday morning. And you are probably right about your un-crowded Sunday mornings going away, at least for a while. Glad you got enjoy it one more time!
    MZ DSNY

• some assembly required

Thanks for this TR. I did not know that DL could be so quiet on a Sunday. It must not be a fluke, b/c I just read your mid-April TR and saw the same thing.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

I went to the AP preview of Carsland Sat from 8-12 and 6-11 and used the single rider all day. Worked great. I timed it once. Got out of the car on RSR at 10:21 , got back in the single rider line and was sitting down for another ride at 10:28.Did this back to back. I was lapping everyone in the standby line with a 25-35 min wait

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Didn't know it was so quick on Splash...

It isn't always, sometimes a couple groups will get in it and will increase it to over 30 mins on busy days. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    I went to the AP preview of Carsland Sat from 8-12 and 6-11 and used the single rider all day. Worked great. I timed it once. Got out of the car on RSR at 10:21 , got back in the single rider line and was sitting down for another ride at 10:28.Did this back to back. I was lapping everyone in the standby line with a 25-35 min wait
    Great! I can't wait to try it myself!