Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 200
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.
    Posts
    198

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Disney may take the cake for 'magic' and immersion overall but what about the guests that want thrills? Universal gives a good substitute for Disney theme quality, cleanliness, and comfort mixed with the rides Disney can't provide. And that's obviously working--Disney may be top in attendance but Universal is second--compared to the hundreds of theme parks, that's pretty good for them! Universal works.
    So...you're saying Indiana Jones, California Screamin', Radiator Springs Racers, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly River Run, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, etc. all aren't thrill rides?

    And out of all honesty, I think a lot of park goers look for cleanliness, comfort, and overall quality before they determine whether or not the rides are thrilling. And frankly, a lot of the popular thrill rides at Universal aren't very...thrilling. But, I could be very much in the wrong. I find myself wrong very. very. very often.


  2. #47

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,452

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillamond View Post
    So...you're saying Indiana Jones, California Screamin', Radiator Springs Racers, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly River Run, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, etc. all aren't thrill rides?
    You're going to call GSS and GRR thrilling? :S You'd also say they're as thrilling as Rip, Ride, Rock It, The Incredible Hulk, The Mummy, etc.? UO has thrill way over Disney. That's a part of the market that they have over Disney and to deny that is to be a bit more faithful to Disney than one has to be.

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillamond View Post
    So...you're saying Indiana Jones, California Screamin', Radiator Springs Racers, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly River Run, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, etc. all aren't thrill rides?

    And out of all honesty, I think a lot of park goers look for cleanliness, comfort, and overall quality before they determine whether or not the rides are thrilling. And frankly, a lot of the popular thrill rides at Universal aren't very...thrilling. But, I could be very much in the wrong. I find myself wrong very. very. very often.
    Yeah I'm gonna go with ohmyjustin. Sure they're thrill rides but they're accommodated for families...I don't get a real adrenaline rush on these rides like I do on the Universal ones. I feel like Disney puts in thrill rides to compliment their family rides while Universal adds tame rides to compliment their thrilling ones (ones that actually scare people, make people scream, or are really really technologically advanced)...does that make sense hahah

  4. #49

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,990

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Universal was built in the spirit as a competitor of WDW, they already knew that they were going to have multiple theme parks there and were planned as such.

    Back when disneyland was built, they had no idea they would be turning it into a multi park resort.

    Again its not a fair comparison.
    Totally agree here. It's an invalid comparison. You can't compare the layout to a park that was built and unintended to be a resort back in the 50's to one that was master planned to be a resort in the 90's.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  5. #50

    •   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chino Hills , CA
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    I believe the only thing that kept universal form dropping into the gutter was Harry potter. Before that islands was a deserted island , similar to DCA
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

  6. #51

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.
    Posts
    198

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Yeah I'm gonna go with ohmyjustin. Sure they're thrill rides but they're accommodated for families...I don't get a real adrenaline rush on these rides like I do on the Universal ones. I feel like Disney puts in thrill rides to compliment their family rides while Universal adds tame rides to compliment their thrilling ones (ones that actually scare people, make people scream, or are really really technologically advanced)...does that make sense hahah
    I'll agree with you on that. So I suppose you're saying Universal is better for the thrills. I guess I could. But, I wouldn't agree that Universal's rides are "technologically advanced." 3D and 4D aren't exactly "technologically advanced" and I feel that the big Universal rides are lately depending on 3D and 4D effects.

    I think I enjoy Disney's attractions more because of the overall experience that comes with riding a Disney ride. It's not just getting into a vehicle and going up and down hills, it's an immersive experience that toys with your emotions. Disney attractions don't rely on 3D or 4D screens, they rely on their detailed surroundings to create a themed environment. From the lighting, to the faint music in the background, to sometimes the familiar characters, Disney's attractions are top notch when it comes to completely pulling you into whatever world that ride is based around.


  7. #52

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,643

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillamond View Post
    I'll agree with you on that. So I suppose you're saying Universal is better for the thrills. I guess I could. But, I wouldn't agree that Universal's rides are "technologically advanced." 3D and 4D aren't exactly "technologically advanced" and I feel that the big Universal rides are lately depending on 3D and 4D effects.
    Spiderman...
    Forbidden journey..
    Terminator 2...
    Rip rocket...
    Even poisidden...

    All high tech attractions Disney had yet to top in their areas..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  8. #53

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Totally agree here. It's an invalid comparison. You can't compare the layout to a park that was built and unintended to be a resort back in the 50's to one that was master planned to be a resort in the 90's.
    I agree as well, this isn't a fair comparison.

  9. #54

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Let me just make clear again, to the people who did not bother reading the previous posts, that this thread was designed to compare not the content of the theme park but rather the master planning of the resorts as a whole.

    Master planning means the overall design and layout of certain aspects of a project whereas you find the best use location for specific functions (in this case theme parks, resort hotels, parking, and shopping areas) and identify ideal footprints, achieve basic aesthetics and design goals and achieve the best use of land and resources available.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    As far as the master planning of the resorts, who cares if USF was planned to be a resort and DL wasn't? They BOTH featured the same amount of land to work with and the same amount of stuff to fit in. But Universal Orlando is much more aesthetically-pleasing and well-crafted as a whole...for one thing they made use of water--that's a huge plus. It's pretty and kinda anchors the whole area, plus boats are a much more entertaining way to get around...moreso than trams. DLR has no landscape anchor--it's just concrete all the way through with no real harmony between DD and the parks.
    Speaking of Downtown Disney...wow did they get that wrong. It's sort of ridiculous that most guests have to walk the length of the complex just to get to the parks. City walk is a gateway to the parks but you the bulk of Citywalk is on upper floors and side-streets that branch off from the main walkway to either park. Plus the reveal of the parks (the USF arch, the RRR, the IOA lighthouse and the Hulk) all kinda beckon guests in and makes a stellar first impression to the resort.
    Then you've got the hotels, which are accessed by boat surprisingly quickly or by beautiful walks through gardens along the river (not across/over main roads and through a concrete shopping area)...and besides Portofino, the hotels are closer to the parks than PP and the DLH are.

    So the water, design of Citywalk, branch off to the two parks, reveal of the parks, and proximity/method of transport to the hotels all make UOR a much better resort as a whole, physically/aesthetically speaking.
    I agree with you 100%
    Last edited by WDW1971; 08-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

  10. #55

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,990

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Let me just make clear again, to the people who did not bother reading the previous posts, that this thread was designed to compare not the content of the theme park but rather the master planning of the resorts as a whole.

    Master planning means the overall design and layout of certain aspects of a project whereas you find the best use location for specific functions (in this case theme parks, resort hotels, parking, and shopping areas) and identify ideal footprints, achieve basic aesthetics and design goals and achieve the best use of land and resources available.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    I agree with you 100% and finally you gave great insight on the design of Universal Orlando and why in your opinion you think it succeeds from merely a master planning and land use view. You realize how the two resorts are in fact similar based on land spacing and the recreational aspects they chose to place in that land.

    Universal's main reason for being better looking is undeniably due to the fact that water is present. It is proven that water recalls relaxation and gives the sense to people that they are not in the middle of an urban jungle but the feeling of being alongside a river or at a lake. In addition the water provides for the ability to have large vistas where guests can easily orient themselves and have into view their final destination while marking their bearings. Also just look at all the water present at WDW and how much better it makes the experience. Seven Seas Lagoon, Cresent Lake for the Epcot Resorts, Downtown Disney's lake, the rivers that travel to Port Orleans, and the lake in front of Hollywood Studios really all add to the experience.

    The reason that they make guests walk through Downtown Disney is because they wanted to force guests to walk through the entire thing so hopefully they would stop at a store and purchase something but since most guests at Disneyland are day guests that do not stay in Disney hotels, they are completely bypassing most of Downtown Disney whereas only a small amount of customers staying in the hotel experience the whole thing. At least at CityWalk it is put off to the side and the day guests which make up a higher percentage of the people visiting the parks pass through CityWalk making it easier to catch some sales.

    There is nothing really enticing to get into Disneyland and DCA like there is Universal Studio's gate and Islands of Adventure's light house. Its a bland expansive esplanade with little to look at with no major indication of the parks. The WDW parks make the approach much better.

    I am also very surprised how horribly the hotels at Disneyland are connected and laid out. Why would guests who are on vacation and going to Disneyland where they want to be taken from the real world want to walk along busier roads than could be found at home and through barren concrete walkways. There should have been better consideration taken to increase the landscaped pathways and I really think there should have been a river connecting the hotels to at least Downtown Disney for possibly boat service but for at least the ability to walk along the water rather than the road.
    You are still not taking in the fact that Disneyland is over 50 years old and was NEVER planned to be a resort. Your point about how horrible the hotels are connected and laid out is also invalid as the Disneyland Hotel has been there almost from the beginning and the Paradise Pier hotel was NOT a Disney hotel when first built. And as for a river connecting the hotels......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  11. #56

    • Certified in everything
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I'll never tell!
    Posts
    546

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    I believe the only thing that kept universal form dropping into the gutter was Harry potter. Before that islands was a deserted island , similar to DCA
    I disagree, IOA was pulling close to the same numbers as USO before Potter, and its addition saw a boost to both parks at UOR that did, in fact, turn the area into a resort. It had the positive result on that area that Disney was hoping DCA would give to Anaheim.

    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://micechat.com/forums/members/jasmineray.html"
    jasmineray[/URL]
    ;1056802086]

    Originally Posted by Disneymike
    Totally agree here. It's an invalid comparison. You can't compare the layout to a park that was built and unintended to be a resort back in the 50's to one that was master planned to be a resort in the 90's.



    I agree as well, this isn't a fair comparison.


    No one is trying to determine what is the best resort here. The OP is just getting at why one resort is more successfully laid out than the other. One reason is that history of the expansion of the resorts. The presence of water is another.

    One resort works better in terms of layout than the other, don't take it out on the OP because its not Disneyland. So YES, YOU CAN compare the resorts, the same way you can compare any other two products because, ultimately, this post looks at the result trying to determine what works and what doesn't. They may have got to their final products in different ways, but at this point both are presenting the same product, and we can compare them in their present state. Remember, no one is faulting Disney for the organic nature of their growth, and we all understand they are constrained. That doesn't excuse it from comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    You are still not taking in the fact that Disneyland is over 50 years old and was NEVER planned to be a resort. Your point about how horrible the hotels are connected and laid out is also invalid as the Disneyland Hotel has been there almost from the beginning and the Paradise Pier hotel was NOT a Disney hotel when first built. And as for a river connecting the hotels......


    Disney, in its current state, is laid out worse then UOR. Period. The history of its expansion is a factor effecting this conclusion. But is certainly would have been possible to better block out the real world, as the OP pointed out. Would it have been harder than starting from scratch like in USO? Yes. Impossible? No. Don't give Disney a complete free pass because of what they started with. And a river connecting hotels would be about as impractical as building a river through an orange grove.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

    "You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

  12. #57

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    125

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    This debate has become less about the park layouts and more about which park has better rides which is kind of far off from what was originally stated. This tread is utterly useless and bothersome.

  13. #58

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,643

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    You are still not taking in the fact that Disneyland is over 50 years old and was NEVER planned to be a resort. Your point about how horrible the hotels are connected and laid out is also invalid as the Disneyland Hotel has been there almost from the beginning and the Paradise Pier hotel was NOT a Disney hotel when first built. And as for a river connecting the hotels......
    Yet those things were left to be.. by choice. DL when it was built was not planned to be a resort, but DL of 2001 was planned to be a resort.. and the company built a park, a hotel, an entertainment district, changed the way people enter the parks, where they parked, and how they moved around the property. All of that was 'planned'.

    Are the CONSTRAINTS the same? No - but the resort was still planned out and some constraints were left 'to be' while others were redesigned (parking, guest transportation, etc)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  14. #59

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,990

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I disagree, IOA was pulling close to the same numbers as USO before Potter, and its addition saw a boost to both parks at UOR that did, in fact, turn the area into a resort. It had the positive result on that area that Disney was hoping DCA would give to Anaheim.

    [/COLOR]

    No one is trying to determine what is the best resort here. The OP is just getting at why one resort is more successfully laid out than the other. One reason is that history of the expansion of the resorts. The presence of water is another.

    One resort works better in terms of layout than the other, don't take it out on the OP because its not Disneyland. So YES, YOU CAN compare the resorts, the same way you can compare any other two products because, ultimately, this post looks at the result trying to determine what works and what doesn't. They may have got to their final products in different ways, but at this point both are presenting the same product, and we can compare them in their present state. Remember, no one is faulting Disney for the organic nature of their growth, and we all understand they are constrained. That doesn't excuse it from comparison.



    Disney, in its current state, is laid out worse then UOR. Period. The history of its expansion is a factor effecting this conclusion. But is certainly would have been possible to better block out the real world, as the OP pointed out. Would it have been harder than starting from scratch like in USO? Yes. Impossible? No. Don't give Disney a complete free pass because of what they started with. And a river connecting hotels would be about as impractical as building a river through an orange grove
    .
    [/COLOR]
    Of course the Disneyland Resort is layed out worse but I fail to see the significance. If Walt had bought all the surrounding land back in the day everything probably would be different. There is no way you can compare USO to the DLand Resort due to the budgetary constraints back in the Eisner/Pressler days. Also, don't you think that the City of Anaheim had something to say regarding the "Layout" of the resort back when it was being planned in 1995? It's like comparing Citizen Kane to Avatar.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  15. #60

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Why is Universal Orlando better than Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Of course the Disneyland Resort is layed out worse but I fail to see the significance. If Walt had bought all the surrounding land back in the day everything probably would be different. There is no way you can compare USO to the DLand Resort due to the budgetary constraints back in the Eisner/Pressler days. Also, don't you think that the City of Anaheim had something to say regarding the "Layout" of the resort back when it was being planned in 1995? It's like comparing Citizen Kane to Avatar.....
    I agree with flynnibus. UOR and DLR fit the same amount of properties into their resorts, so why should when DL was built have anything to do with the design as a resort? If you want to blame budget cuts then blame them, it doesn't make DLR any better. All they had to do was move DD around or maybe change the positioning of the parking structure...and a river would be very possible it was in the original plans even!! But yeah I would say UOR is Citizen Kane compared to DLR as far as layout.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] In what ways (if any) is Magic Kingdom better than Disneyland?
    By mattthemickeyman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
  2. Why do you love DisneyWorld BETTER than DisneyLand?
    By DisneyDude2006 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 08:50 AM
  3. Why do you love DisneyLand BETTER than DisneyWorld?
    By DisneyDude2006 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
  4. Tokyo Disneyland-Is it better than Disneyland?
    By TDR_Fan in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
  5. Disneyland- Better than WDW?
    By Hidden Goofy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •