Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Why Did they allow Kobe Bryant into Cars Land?

I'm glad for them to get the celebrities out of the damn way. While the rides are still in testing mode. After the last celebrity is gone they can fumigate the place and finally it will be ready for the rest of us. If the seats need to be made wider they can always use Kim Kardashian. At least now they're trying to do some sort of half-hearted publicity about all this "Carsland" stuff. Up until today, nobody's even heard of Carsland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Life's not fair. I wanted to be the 5th Beatle but that did not work out so I went on with my life.
    I think Pete Best beat you to that title.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Ok Here my Two cents ( not actual monetary value) , A friend of my who works for a large ad firm once explained it to me like this. The answer to why Kobe Bryant is in car land is three fold.

1.) Yes it is free publicity, Not so much as it might have been in the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s but free is free. Once it would have spread ( with a lot of help from friends in media) to TV and magazines , at just the mention of such a visit . Not so much anymore, but these days they are sure to get a mention on Entertainment Tonight or Hard Copy of “Kobi and family have fun!!!”.

2.) They can use this as an opportunity to try and get Kobi as a sponsor for some product and with Disney ever growing business share that could be anything almost. Someone in the group giving him the tour whispering sweet endorsements in his ears as he and his family enjoy “Carsland”. I also like to mention they maybe getting even more perks like couple of nights in the Mount Whitney Suite and the best seats in the house for all shows ( fantastic, WOC, Fireworks). They might even fit the bill for the food. Most company see using their own entertainment resources a boon to capturing a “Big Fish” and who entertains like Disney

3.) a Whole lot of management got to press flesh, get pictures, autographs, etc with Kobi. You don’t think every manager in the Park wasn’t “just stopping by “ ..Line heard such as ”Wow Kobi is here.. who knew, think I can say Hi ..let me get my camera phone”

All in all no real surprise, the funny thing is there are better way to push a new opening these days than inviting a star, one of the best is just what we are doing right now, chatting about it.
    you don't have to be crazy to use this profile..but it helps

The 4 pages of discussion answers it.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Top Ten reasons they allowed Kobe Bryant into Carsland:

10. Bought special Tall Dude AP.
    9. City Hall comp for bashing his knees on the new Matterhorn bobsleds.
    8. Disney heard he's loaded and wants to sell him a DVC.
    7. Official Spokesperson for emergency Luigi's Flying Tires replacement, "Bryant's Beachball Bounce."
    6. Hired to coach DLR Security how to bodycheck fan photographers at DCA preview.
    5. It's really Kobe's evil twin brother Kibble, a Senior VP at Universal.
    4. Mary won first prize in employee "Dream Date with Kobe" raffle.
    3. "Came for the turkey legs, stayed for the preview."
    2. Nobody at TDA could pronounce Chukwudiebere Maduabum.
    1. Hey, it was this or Autopia.
    Hey ain't nothing wrong with Autopia! I take a bit of offense to that haha. Really though, Kobe is Kobe...celebs are sadly above us...but no way is that going to make me grumble. I looking forward to Carsland. Will look forward to seeing it thursday morning

...As I see it

• Observer

Quote Originally Posted by Jesser-pie View Post
    Celebrities getting special treatment?!!!

WOW has Disney sunk low...Walt would never have condoned special treatment no matter how famous...

I am sorry, but despite all the stories of how Walt would talk to all his cast memebers no matter how seemingly small, a celeb getting preferential treatment is not a new low for Disney and it is certianly not new for the world...

I would much rather have a celeb get perks at Disneyland than the many perks they get with the law.

And no I don't think Kobe is better than any one of you. You guys are micechatters which already makes you better than him!
    didnt walt build club 33 for celebreties and big wigs he considered better than the general public ?...

Why did he get a preview of Cars Land? Because he is Kobe Bean Bryant.
    That is all

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think Pete Best beat you to that title.
    Even at 6 years old I was a better drummer than Pete Best...
    And don't get me started on the whole Billy Preston as the "Fifth Beatle" thing.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Are they sure he knows how to spell?
    Can you speak a second language as well as he speaks Italian? I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Life's not fair. I wanted to be the 5th Beatle but that did not work out so I went on with my life.
    Spots #2 (sorry John & John fans) & #3 have opened up.
    I'd argue that George Martin was the 5th Beatle.

If Disney were smarter they would get more advertising with that most magical of marketing aconyms: OPM. (Other people's money. Now everyone together: "OPM! Owwwww! Ahhhhhh!) Just as Walt and the leaders of the 70s only charged a nickel for postcards, back when that wasn't a lot of money, Disney should have at least four (day and night-time) postcards of Carsland ready to go and charge only 25 cents for them in 2012. People will be more likely to write their friends & relatives and spread these dream-like images around along with a positive word-of-mouth. OPM, baby!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jedi Stitch View Post
    2.) They can use this as an opportunity to try and get Kobi as a sponsor for some product and with Disney ever growing business share that could be anything almost. Someone in the group giving him the tour whispering sweet endorsements in his ears as he and his family enjoy “Carsland”. I also like to mention they maybe getting even more perks like couple of nights in the Mount Whitney Suite and the best seats in the house for all shows ( fantastic, WOC, Fireworks). They might even fit the bill for the food. Most company see using their own entertainment resources a boon to capturing a “Big Fish” and who entertains like Disney.
    This is two-fold. Is Disney paying Kobe or is Kobe paying Disney? If Disney is giving it away, how do they hope to make it back? With someone like Kobe, he is surely spending a lot of money, but he is equally getting lots of things for free.

• Parking Lot > DCA

At the end of the day, honestly - who cares?

• Lion

Why do celebrities who aren't in a film get to go to the premiere of said film? Why are there celebrities in the seats right behind the benches/dugouts at basketball/baseball games?

A number of good reasons have already been stated, but the other reason is that Disney helps facilitate these kinds of visits because someone as famous as Bryant can't easily attend Disneyland like everyone else. It's chaos when celebs try to go to Disneyland, let alone someone as famous as Kobe. This may very well be his (and his family's) only chance to experience the "full" Cars Land without getting mobbed. If for some reason people mobbed you for autographs everywhere you went, you'd probably wish for similar access.

Yes, it's special treatment. The less you like Kobe, the more you're going to dislike this one.

I dislike it.

However, I understand it.

• ***PIXIEDUSTER***

It's a Touchy subject, but most Celebs would've been going EARLY anyway... Through next week Party Festivities. Although I don't care for Kobe personally, (and I've worked with some Great Celebs in My days),...WE THE PEOPLE should understand that some need special time so they can enjoy the New stuff, w/o signing autographs, stopping for pix, w/o his family etc being being bomb-rushed by fans..

Guess urs a perk ejem u can through a ball.....

... But Guess what folks, its probable that he couldnt figure out how to "steer" Luigi's Flying Tires...
    Whereas , WE GET PLENTY of opportune times NEXT WEEK!

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 08:11 AM ----------

OOOPS, I meant," I Guess its a PERK , WHEN U CAN THROW A BALL"... LOL

sorry
    "Ready to help CREATE and HONOR the MAGIC!..... "

• No Disassemble!

The guy carried a whole basketball team on his back this past season (sans Blake) and got them to the second round of the playoffs somehow. Give Kobe a break! At least it's him and not Justin Bieber.

Besides, Kobe has a past relationship with the resort. I remember when in 2000 or 2001 Kobe rented several attractions in Disneyland just for him and his wife (then fiancee i think). He paid a pretty penny to make that happen and I'd imagine that he did the same for Carsland.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to use a basketball superstar for publicity as it is a narrow demographic. I'd expect Disney to pull out the bigger guns like Ellen (previously mentioned in another post), The Chew, Samantha Brown, etc.

Disney is a business. They are mainly in the entertainment business. Kobe is a sports celebrity, his presence is an endorsement. It's professional courtesy for Disney to allow these celebrities exclusive access. Remember, a lot of these celebrities attend charity events sponsored by Disney or vice versa.

Kobe, regardless of rumor and gossip is just a person just like you and I. He would not be the first or last person to ever stiff a valet or be rude. It's just when he does it, everyone knows who he is. Is that fair to him? Why can't he just be an anonymous person? Kobe has been a long time frequent visitor to the DLR, HE GENUINELY LOVES DISNEYLAND. Let him have his exclusive access.

So if anybody thinks it is not fair, it is just business. Most of it not ours to begin with. I have bigger battles in life to fight, and other places to stick my nose into....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast