Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Parmageddon Jim

Re: Why Did they allow Kobe Bryant into Cars Land?

Quote Originally Posted by vitesse10 View Post
    There are some thoroughly loathsome comments at this link. Please, Think before you Link.

Also, I'm still steamed that they allowed Ronald Reagan to wander around Disneyland a whole day before the rest of us. Way to go Disney, Walt would never have stood for it!

Really? People are upset that Disney saw and used a marketing opportunity? DCA isn't just being marketed to us poor, uncelebritied APs in Southern California who may or may not know someone that parked Mr. Bryant's car. DCA and Disneyland are being marketed all over the world, because foreign audiences, who are unlikely to know any of our turkey leg churro eating faces, will recognize Kobe Bryant in a picture. Celebrity pictures from inside a Disney park not only advertise the specific park in which they were taken, but advertise the whole idea of vacationing at any Disney park. Those potential vacation dollars are the only thing that influenced Disney to spend over a billion of them to fix DCA. You didn't think it was for your annual pass dollars, did you? Because you were going to give that money to Disney anyhow, no matter what they did to the park. Take a look at the ticky-tacky booze parties and tell me I'm wrong. (Yeah, I know, people like 'em. I'm just not one of those people.)

DCA will be open in little more than a week. I will be there, with my extravagantly priced annual pass. And you know what my extravagantly priced annual pass entitles me to? Admission and parking. That's it. I expect to have a good time.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think Pete Best beat you to that title.
    Technically, Ringo Starr is the fifth Beatle. Pete Best is the forgotten Beatle.

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    (Kobe is the 21st century Jack Benny for those who work for tips.)
    Of course, Jack Benny, in reality, was a very generous man (as opposed to his radio persona).
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Technically, Ringo Starr is the fifth Beatle. Pete Best is the forgotten Beatle.

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

Of course, Jack Benny, in reality, was a very generous man (as opposed to his radio persona).
    Ah, but lets not forget Stuart Sutcliffe, now he was the real forgotten Beatle...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    There are some thoroughly loathsome comments at this link. Please, Think before you Link.

Also, I'm still steamed that they allowed Ronald Reagan to wander around Disneyland a whole day before the rest of us. Way to go Disney, Walt would never have stood for it!

Really? People are upset that Disney saw and used a marketing opportunity? DCA isn't just being marketed to us poor, uncelebritied APs in Southern California who may or may not know someone that parked Mr. Bryant's car. DCA and Disneyland are being marketed all over the world, because foreign audiences, who are unlikely to know any of our turkey leg churro eating faces, will recognize Kobe Bryant in a picture. Celebrity pictures from inside a Disney park not only advertise the specific park in which they were taken, but advertise the whole idea of vacationing at any Disney park. Those potential vacation dollars are the only thing that influenced Disney to spend over a billion of them to fix DCA. You didn't think it was for your annual pass dollars, did you? Because you were going to give that money to Disney anyhow, no matter what they did to the park. Take a look at the ticky-tacky booze parties and tell me I'm wrong. (Yeah, I know, people like 'em. I'm just not one of those people.)

DCA will be open in little more than a week. I will be there, with my extravagantly priced annual pass. And you know what my extravagantly priced annual pass entitles me to? Admission and parking. That's it. I expect to have a good time.
    You win this thread. Thank you.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Ah, but lets not forget Stuart Sutcliffe, now he was the real forgotten Beatle...
    I see where you are going with this as he has been forgotten, but Sutcliffe left voluntarily (to pursue visual artistry). It is a shame that even if he remained with the band it wouldn't have lasted as he died so young.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• One in a Million!

If anybody should be allowed into CarsLand it should be Jonathan Quick, Anze Kopitar, and the rest of the LA Kings.

With the way the Lakers were manhandled by the Thunder during the playoffs Kobe should be sentenced to spend an afternoon locked inside Innoventions.
    The AP from 7734
    feels that his siestas are getting chorter & chorter

Best BLAB score: 1,482,900
    Best TSMM score: 217,400

BREAK YO'SELF, FOO!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by AP from 7734 View Post
    If anybody should be allowed into CarsLand it should be Jonathan Quick, Anze Kopitar, and the rest of the LA Kings.

With the way the Lakers were manhandled by the Thunder during the playoffs Kobe should be sentenced to spend an afternoon locked inside Innoventions.
    Not Kobe's fault, might want to talk to Gasol and Bynum about that.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Down Pluto!

Celebrities get vastly more attention and freebies than commoners - it is just a fact of life. If we all treated them as just folks rather than "OMG!!1! - IT"S A CELEBRITY!!!" then they might just be treated like the rest of us commoners. You can't put someone on a pedestal and lavish them with attention and stuff, and then complain when they get something you don't. It's not who we are as a society - we worship our "stars", grovel at their feet, and mostly ignore those who actually contribute to the betterment of humanity.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

If ya wanna understand why he'd want to get into Carsland early, just look at the short video that was linked earlier. Dude's a 6'8" athlete that's considered one of the greatest to play for one of the greatest franchises in the city of Hollywood. Almost no one in Los Angeles is more recognizable than Kobe Bryant, actors or not. And even if 5'8" Tom Cruise was there, Kobe's stature would mean he would be recognized more.

For most of us, the worst thing that happens is a ride breaks down or the group in front of us won't walk as fast as we want. He's constantly being screamed at, yelled at, touched...and he's constantly asked for things--and THIS is when he is with his wife and kids. You won't find a bigger Lakers/Kobe fan than me, but I would NEVER approach him unless the situation was clearly situated for one to do so (off the top of my head, both waiting outside the women's restroom for our significant others, on a ride together, in line next to each other, camped out for a show next to each other--the way normal people do). I have seen celebs at Disneyland. Sometimes you acknowledge it and say hello, sometimes you leave it alone.

The thing about Kobe is he is not like us. He's not. He's got super human talent, like not many do, and he's got a superhuman drive to develop that talent, like almost no one does. That's why he's compared to the default greatest, Jordan. They are unique. And that kind of talent and hard work needs an ego to be successful. Timid people need not apply to be champions. There's a reason he's called an assassin. He's cold-blooded.

But that doesn't inherently make him an a-hole. He may come off that way. He may show up to Disneyland grumpy as hell that the next several hours are going to involve mobs, touching, swarming, and yelling. He may not carry cash with him for gratuity even if he has spent a ridiculous amount for a plaid. That doesn't make him a bad guy.

He's about to experience what NONE of us experience at Disneyland. Sure, he's paid handsomely to deal with it, but no one's perfect, especially not him. He's not built to be the average guy at the park. Since high school he has been treated as THE MAN. That gets to you.

So the fact that there are stories in this thread about him being a good guy are things you should pay attention to. He shouldn't be a good guy, but he apparently often is.

Celebs are often polarizing. For every one that loves one, another has a crappy story. But being an athlete on the world's stage is different. Actors can print the 37th take. If Kobe misses one shot live, he's failed.

I know I'm rambling, but it's a different life, guys...no matter how rich. His wife and children deserve our respect. And from that video I see that they don't get it. For what's going on, he's pretty dang cordial in that video.

• Mouse Maniac

class act, he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Fair enough.

But on behalf of the valet parking team at the Hotel, the next time you talk to Kobe remind him that when he drives the Bentley down to Disneyland next, he should bring a few dollar bills for the tip. A few dollars of tip is customary for valet parking runners, especially if they have kept your car parked in close proximity and offered instant service upon your arrival and departure.

Kobe just never seems to have any cash on him when it's time to pick up the Bentley, darn the luck.

Yes, it's customary, and I tip because, well, I'm a sheep--but I have also had it improve my service. But I am also not an international superstar where service is probably pretty awesome no matter what--or it's on the house.

The question I have is: Is he not tipping at all, or is he just tipping a few bucks and that seems like it's not enough from a guy worth tens of millions?

I think it's unfortunate, though, when people who voluntarily work in jobs where they end up relying on voluntary contributions for income complain when people don't tip. There's a reason it's called gratuity. He's free to reward you or not. And if he doesn't, maybe your service next time isn't so prompt (back in my barroom days, I'd tip the bartender a $20 off the bat and when the line was 10 people deep, he'd take my drink order first, ahead of the non-tippers or $1/drink tippers, so I know it can work for you). And maybe that's fine and he starts tipping, or maybe he complains if it isn't and you lose your job. That Kobe and the like spend so much money at the Resort is a big reason why you have your job in the first place. And maybe he feels, like I do, that tipping is a scam to lower the costs of doing business. Or maybe he feels as if, with all the cost he has to cover on a trip, that tipping is just one cost too many. Or maybe he believes both.

Either way, it's not as if your boss is refusing to pay you your full check. You voluntarily entered into employment where your compensation can be increased through donations by customers, but with the risk that your base pay could be all you get. When I worked at my previous job (I am a substitute teacher now), I was a musical instruments salesman at a mom and pop store. While my main job was to sell, I also spent time doing customer service and repair. And I got lots of skill doing repair with the tools we had, and I worked really, really hard on customer's instruments, often going above and beyond the cost of the repair. As the economy turned, more and more and more people went with repairs on old instruments instead of new ones. That made what I could do more valuable, and many people even requested me. But I was still a salesman not a repair person. And about .00001% of the time people would offer me a tip...of about $1. I didn't get mad at them. I actually got mad at the service industry employees who feel entitled to tips, and the service industry owners for making me subsidize their work force. Yes, the government has stuck their nose in your business and you get taxed on it, and that's wrong.

Anyway, I probably come off pretty badly and I don't mean to. I suppose this is a bit off track, but celebrities get so much crap. Do people get just as mad at the average person that doesn't tip, or are we getting extra mad cuz it's Kobe?

• Minion

doest kobie byant also have clubb 33 member and he with palid worker as well
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    A friend of mine was at disney today and told me they saw Kobe and his Family enter Cars Land That's Not fair
    They can let whomever they want to in. There's nothing unfair about it at all. Cars Land was doing previews for other Disney companies like Pixar and ABC, we aell as Corporate employees and selected business partners. It's certainly possible that Kobe fell into one of these categories. In any case, it's no one's business but his and the company's.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456