Hollywood Land - Hyperion? Your thoughts.

As a longtime visitor of MiceChat, I remembered seeing a video from Blue Sky Cellar on here a few years back. In it, they showed a short but sweet glimpse of a new facade for The Hyperion Theater. I also remembered seeing some concept art with it clearly featured in it. I just found the video on YouTube, and am trying to find out why they decided not to go down this route? It obviously had to be the budget, right? If I recall, I remember reading something about budget cuts? Hollywood Land is easily one of the weakest areas in the park. This would have been such a massive improvement for the park, and an easier transition from Buena Vista Street. I’ve always thought the current facade was tacky, and have never been a fan of the cloudy sky mural. Is there anyone who knows more about this, or feels the same way? Or maybe you completely disagree with me? Let me know!

Name:  Captureb-001b.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  107.7 KB

Here is the video for reference. Go to 1:04
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/rP_1rvxF7nA?rel=0

• Minion

Re: Hollywood Land - Hyperion? Your thoughts.

A plan for the Hyperion is definitely in the works.

But I want to make one thing very clear: there have been no budget cuts. Money has been reallocated from one project to the next, but there have been no cuts. For example, the money that was original set aside for the queue makeover of the Fun Wheel was moved to the Little Mermaid attraction.

But the Hyperion will definitely be getting a makeover. I would suspect when the next new show debuts in a few years, we'll most likely see it transformed into a 1940s era show palace.

Oh yes! I remember reading about that now. I just feel like they mislead us into thinking that this new expansion project would be a lot more then it was. Don't get me wrong. What they have done is extraordinary. I was just under the impression that Hollywood Land and Paradise Pier would have seen a bigger slice of the pie, if you know what I mean. Love what they did, but as always, I wish they did more. That’s just me being selfish I suppose!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    A plan for the Hyperion is definitely in the works.

But I want to make one thing very clear: there have been no budget cuts. Money has been reallocated from one project to the next, but there have been no cuts. For example, the money that was original set aside for the queue makeover of the Fun Wheel was moved to the Little Mermaid attraction.

But the Hyperion will definitely be getting a makeover. I would suspect when the next new show debuts in a few years, we'll most likely see it transformed into a 1940s era show palace.
    I have long heard and read about the Hyperion eventually getting a full facade, but could never fully visualize it in my head. I had never seen these images before, but this exceeds expectations. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY pulling for this and the also conceptualized "Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak" transformations in the future.

Disneylandfan95, I have never more hoped you are right on this one. Moreover, I think it was right to hold off on certain small projects to ensure the big guns like TLM turned out right. Better to deliver several stellar projects that keep the guests coming back then to deliver several attractions that could have used more. If these full blown, non-budget-cut attractions pull in the guests as I think they will, Disney should have no problem going forward with some more place-making in the future.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

I don't doubt that Hollywoodland 2.0 is the next step for DCA. It's all a matter of "When" and "What".

My guess is the park won't see any major changes until 2014 at the earliest.

• Senior Minion

I agree as well. I think that is the most important next project for DCA. Not only is it really going to improve Hollywood Blvd and the theater itself but it's a really beautiful solution. And numerous inside sources including Al and dlfan95 and others have all said it will be done eventually. I think almost all of us are hoping sooner rather then later. Hopefully when the put in a new show at the latest. But after looking at BVS, it really makes me want to see the rest of HL brought up to a similar level of quality.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    But after looking at BVS, it really makes me want to see the rest of HL brought up to a similar level of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    My guess is the park won't see any major changes until 2014 at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I have long heard and read about the Hyperion eventually getting a full facade, but could never fully visualize it in my head. I had never seen these images before, but this exceeds expectations. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY pulling for this and the also conceptualized "Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak" transformations in the future.

I couldn't agree with you guys any more. I really do hope that there is the so called “Phase 2” that so many people on here are hoping for. It saddens me to admit it, but I must agree that anything major is most likely a few years off. I can’t see why they would bother spending any more money unless Cars Land and BVS didn’t drive up attendance like crazy. I’m certain they will get the numbers they are hoping for, as they should. They did a fantastic job after all!

Last edited by DisneyWorld; 06-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I hope it happens....would look so MUCH better and just make that area feel so much more like a Disney park

• I am number 4 of 999

It does seem that their future plans for Hollywood Land are to shift the entrance of the Hyperion Theater to the middle of Hollywood Blvd and make it the focal point at the end of the street.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Refurbished Animatronic

Even if the building is re-dressed with a sexy art deco overlay, scale wise it is still a massive eye sore. I say put up some re-bar and "mud" and turn the upper part into a re-creation of the Hollywood hills from when the "Hollywoodland" sign was up. Done to an extremely detailed level akin to the Cars Land (or Mysterious Island @ DisneySEA) rock work. The lower structure would still have a theater and some facades but worked to be more scale appropriate. (I give WDI full permission to use this idea, haha). -> http://www.destination-southern-cali...lywoodland.jpg

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by RDdB View Post
    Even if the building is re-dressed with a sexy art deco overlay, scale wise it is still a massive eye sore. I say put up some re-bar and "mud" and turn the upper part into a re-creation of the Hollywood hills from when the "Hollywoodland" sign was up. Done to an extremely detailed level akin to the Cars Land (or Mysterious Island @ DisneySEA) rock work. The lower structure would still have a theater and some facades but worked to be more scale appropriate. (I give WDI full permission to use this idea, haha). -> http://www.destination-southern-cali...lywoodland.jpg
    The building is not actually all that much larger than those surrounding it... it's maybe 1 story taller than animation? While I like the hills idea I just don't think they have the depth necessary to do it there. Besides, I say the bigger the building the better, a big building would really only to that city-street feel.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by RDdB View Post

Ignore the crudeness of my doodle...

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Walt Disney Studios Paris. I think something simple like this would look GREAT, even just replacing the blue sky mural. It would be a "weenie" from Carthay Circle and also replace the Backlot arch as the clear marker of the land's name if it said "Hollywoodland."
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yup! That's what I was going for LOL. Didn't know they did that in Paris. I always thought that they could easily house a coaster inside a hill of that size as well... especially if they took over the Hollywood & Dine building.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html