Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Red Face DCA Phase 2 - Just One Dream

With DCA's multi-year and multi-billion dollar expansion coming to a close in just TEN DAYS, it's a curiosity of mine to see how the new changes will go with guests and how attendance may or may not rise for the struggling second gate. If successful enough, I can almost guarantee you that a Phase 2 expansion is on the way, finally turning DCA into a respectable rival for its sister across the way, and eventually the upcoming Wizarding World of Harry Potter a few cities away. As an armchair Imagineer it is my duty to come up with some very rough ideas for a Phase 2 expansion. Please let me know what you think.

Golden River Expedition: Replacing A Bug's Land is a brand-new EMV boat ride in lieu of POTC and HM, something DCA has lacked since opening day. Gold Mountain, a Sierra Nevada-style mountain rises up in place of the former land, hosting an adventure unlike anything else in the park: Golden River Expedition. A greatly revised revival of the infamous Western River Expedition, guests board a rickety boat and sail back in time to the California Gold Rush, traveling through an eerie gold mine followed by a beautiful pine forest with rushing cascades and quaint streams where they encounter the expansion of the railroad, gold miners at work, and hungry wolves. The trip then takes a quick turn through a Native American village (natives of California of course) before drifting directly into the little mining town of Wine Gulch. A band of rowdy gold miners have had a very successful day of work and have showed up to town to engorge in the town's supply of wine. Chaos ensues in the town, ending in a gunfight between the angry police force and the now violent miners. Of course lots of sight gags are present. The city subdues into Boot Hill, the town's graveyard when a bolt of lightning springs from the heavens and strikes the earth, resurrecting the dead...skeletons of long-dead citizens emerge from their graves, attempting to ATTACK guests! But luckily they escape...only to go right into the middle of a burning forest. The raging forest fire tosses guests down a massive outdoor waterfall and into abandoned mines below, leading them back into the loading area. After the drop I'm considering having guests pass the distant skyline of modern day San Francisco, symbolizing that guests have returned to their own time and have entered the former home of the Gold Rush over a hundred years later. Because a new mountain has been erected, the side facing Hollywood Land is given a grassy appearance and the Hollywoodland letters, and the side facing Cars Land resembles a desert butte. It's Tough to be a Bug is the only remnant of Bug's Land and DCA 1.0, albeit a mountain facade is given to the theater as a replacement for the giant mural. All of the western elements such as the banditos, cowboys, Indians, and buffalo would be utilized in Frontierland in a brand-new attraction along with new show scenes along the Rivers of America and Disneyland Railroad.

The Great Movie Ride: Although I'm not a big fan of cloning things into second gates, I am a big supporting of the GMR being installed at DCA. The massive ride replaces the Millionaire and Monsters, Inc. buildings. Personally I think it'd be great if it had a facade other than the Chinese Theater. The old commissary building is gutted and replaced by an indoor nightclub, that club being the Mad T Party, finally allowing the tackiness of nighttime entertainment removed from 1940's Hollywood Land. The GMR itself features a brand-new selection of films from throughout history, once again to distinguish itself from DHS's original.

Hollywood Land:
    Thinking about it now, Hollywood Land actually has some pretty good architectural designs resembling the Hollywood of days gone by. Because of this much of it will remain...however every tacky sign, unrealistic facade, and modern references will be removed, such as the Off-the-Page store's giant 3D sign. Muppet*Vision, the Mad T Party Club, and the Hyperion are all given new facades, ridding of DCA 1.0's tackiness and bringing in the theme of classic Hollywood. Every other facade resembling old Hollywood remains. The Animation building takes cues from Egyptian architecture featuring beautiful ornate designs. The Tower of Terror receives a brand-new paint job, making it all white with dark orange roofing. This makes the attraction greatly resemble unused concept art for the original attraction which features a white and orange tower. Some more Twilight Zones references are added in the queue, exit, and gift shop. A new and worthy replacement for Aladdin makes its way into the Hyperion. New background music consisting of 1930's and 40's big band music fills the air. I even have a list:

"Hooray for Hollywood" - From Hollywood Hotel
    "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" - Tommy Dorsey
    "Smile, Darn Ya, Smile!" - Billy Cotton
    "St. James Infirmary" - Cab Calloway
    "Happy Days Are Here Again!" - Ben Selvin and the Crooners
    "We'll Meet Again" - Vera Lynn
    "Tiger Rag" - Louis Armstrong
    "Dream a Little Dream of Me" - Louis Armstrong
    "Deep Purple" - Turner Layton
    "You're the Top" - Cole Porter
    "(I've Got Spurs) Jingle, Jangle Jangle" - Kay Kyser
    "Minnie the Moocher" - Cab Calloway
    "You're the Top" - Cole Porter
    "I'll Be Seeing You" - Billie Holiday
    "Pico and Sepulveda" - Felix Figueroa

Country Bear Revue: A Tribute to the Music and Lore: Held within a MASSIVE redwood tree fallen on its side is what else but a revival of the Country Bear Jamboree in place of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Inside the tree is a rustic theater is a musical tribute to California hosted by Marc Davis's classic creations. The songs featured include:

"Pianjo (California, Here I Come)" - Gomer and Henry
    "California, Here I Come" - Five Bear Rugs and Henry
    "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" - Trixie
    "Movin' Right Along" - Wendell and Henry
    "Alcatraz Rock" - Liver Lips McGrowl ("Jailhouse Rock" with revised lyrics)
    "Blazing Saddles" - Five Bear Rugs (revised theme to match California theme)
    "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" - Shaker (Shaker is now a location-confused polar bear stuck in Death Valley)
    "California Bears" - Sun Bonnet Trio, Gomer, and Trophy Heads (revised "California Girls")
    "She'll Be Coming Round Mammoth Mountain" - Ernest, Henry, and the Five Bear Rugs (Skier Ernest sings about Mammoth Mountain, revised "She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain)
    "I'll Be Seeing You" - Teddi Barra and Henry
    "Blood on the Saddle" - Big Al
    "Hooray for Hollywood/Route 66/California, Here I Come/Ole Slew Foot" - Company (Big Al still singing "Blood on the Saddle" as tribute to the original show while the rest of the cast tries to drown him out)
    "Come Again" - Henry, Sammy, and Trophy Heads

A Christmas show is implemented every December, starting a few years after the regular show has been in operation.

Grizzly Mine Train Ride:
    Unnamed roller coaster similar to Big Grizzly Mountain at HKDL. I have no idea where this'd go. Possibly an attachment to Gold Mountain and briefly intertwine with Golden River Expedition. If so then it'd be very similar to Western River Expedition's original plan to be a part of Big Thunder Mountain in the massive Thunder Mesa complex.

Just One Dream - The Legend of Walt Disney: Replacing Off-the-Page is a new rendition of the Walt Disney Story held in a small theater. Although it may seem a bit creepy, an animatronic Walt Disney and Mickey magically make an appearance side-by-side towards the finale. "Just One Dream," the lost theme song of Golden Dreams plays during a montage at the end of the film.

Unnamed Dark Ride:
    An unnamed dark ride meant to replace Goofy's Sky School. I have no idea what it'll be. I was thinking of using the old concept of Mickey's Madhouse or Circus Disney once intended for the never built Dumbo's Circusland. It'd be a trackless ride utilizing the ride system of Pooh's Hunny Hunt at TDL and eventually the Ratatouille ride at WDS.

Thoughts? Questions, comments, concerns?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Re: DCA Phase 2 - Just One Dream

Like the Golden River Expedition idea! Although I'm not sure if there's enough room in Bugsland for something on that scale. Which is actually the problem DCA has. Not enough land to create many new e-ticket attractions.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^ohh it Possable though you'd need to use the WHOLE Bugsland and have some of the ride underground too, but if you use the underground Q used for Its tough to be a bug....and us some of the old theater area as the loading area.

Then start it underground showing us mines and caves..then move up to the old Bugsland area for 75% of the ride and then go back down into the loading area.....and my guess if you could add another restaurant connected to the new ride like the Blue Bayou

• I'm a Lutheran

Brilliant idea Jerrod! I take back what I say about keeping It's Tough to be a Bug. It is taken out and become a cavern queue and loading area for Golden River. With the entire attraction replacing ALL of Bug's Land it'll also have to take up some of the backstage area leftover from Cars Land. The Radiator Springs Racers fastpass machines will have to be relocated.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^or use it for the new ride for the first year or two.

I'd wanted them to put a big E ticket ride where Its tough to be a Bug for years, its a HUGE space, it already has a big Q...and really if they built that underground why not built more? People underestimate what you can do with even small amounts of land if you make the ride two story's just look at Transformers they took 2 sound stages and built a VERY long Q and a pretty good ride

• Senior Minion

I like some of the ideas, but I don't think having another Sierra Nevada area in BL makes sense because that area is already represented in the Grizzly Peak area. The ride concept sounds cool, but honestly most of your ideas could still be done in Frontierland. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a ride very much like that in northern Frontierland in the near future.

I'm also not a huge fan of bringing either GMR or TCB to DCA. GMR is dated and will inevitably get dated again even if they modernized it. It also is based on the studio premise, which I hope goes away completely in phase two. Lastly, I'm just not a big fan, to me the random mixture of movie scenes is just not as compelling as a unified theme for an attraction.

With the Bears, I just don't really think that DCA needs it. AA shows are just not that popular anymore and DCA has a lot of shows already. I'd rather see the space used for something more exciting then bringing back a very old show. And I don't think that a new CB show would excite anyone but hardcore Disney fans.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I'd love to see GMR in DCA! I also really like the Just One Dream idea.
    Last edited by SydneyMouse; 06-08-2012 at 09:20 AM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Great but there would still have to be kid rides

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Country Bear Revue: A Tribute to the Music and Lore: Held within a MASSIVE redwood tree fallen on its side is what else but a revival of the Country Bear Jamboree.
    This REALLY stood out for me. It would be visually stunning. And I wish I had better drawing skills so that I could make some concept art for it. An excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheThirdFloor View Post
    This REALLY stood out for me. It would be visually stunning. And I wish I had better drawing skills so that I could make some concept art for it. An excellent idea.
    What strikes you about the shape of a redwood for a theater?

I'm not saying it is wrong, or a bad idea, I'm just curious.

• I'm a Lutheran

Thanks all for the compliments! Keep in mind that these ideas are very rough and are subject to change in a later project of mine revolving around an entire expansion of DLR as a whole.

Third Floor, I can find someone to make up some concept art if you'd like to see it.

As for the GMR. That was not my original choice which is why I've decided to replace it with an old idea of mine that was VERY well-received on MiceChat: The Disney Villain Nightclub. The ride replaces Monsters, Inc. and the Millionaire building (leaving the commissary open for the indoor Mad T Party), being a trackless dark ride held in the dark back allies of Hollywood Land. Boarding beat-up trash cans (this is a trackless dark ride by the way), guests are greeted by the two vultures from America Sings/Splash Mountain who give an ominous safety spiel. The cans then make a sharp turn around an alleyway and head straight towards a building very similar to the exterior of the Ink and Paint Club. Bongo the Gorilla (who just so happens to be the Ink and Paint Club's bouncer) greets riders with grunts, nightclub manager Pete soon following, welcoming guests from behind his desk. Jazzy instrumentals of various Disney Villain tunes can be heard echoing in the distance, growing louder as riders full-on burst into the main nightclub scene, a scene elaborate enough to rival the "Under the Sea" spectacular in Ariel's Undersea Adventure. The cans stop in front of a collection of villains gambling: Oogie Boogie, Captain Hook, and Emperor Zurg. When Oogie is revealed to be cheating, Zurg stands up and readies his laser cannon, unleashing a huge smoke ball that knocks guests backwards and sends them careening wildly around the nightclub's dance floor past countless animatronic villains and various sight gags. Stopping again, riders witness Gaston attempting to woo Maleficent. Annoyed, she simply turns into a dragon (in a stunning effect) to scare him off, simply unleashing green fire and humorously burning him to a crisp. She then turns to riders and does the same, the flames barely missing guests but sending the cans flying through a set of break-away doors in the true Fantasyland dark ride style.

The next portion of the ride takes guests through the kitchen which is littered with horrible cooks, including the Weasels making dip, the haggard Evil Queen making poison apples, Brer Fox reading a book about cooking rabbit stew, Lock, Shock, and Barrel making snake and spider stew, and Goon waiters hanging on the ceiling and lighting fixtures to avoid being run over. An encounter with Neverland's infamous Crocodile emerging from a crate in the seafood storage section angrily snaps at guests, sending them fleeing into the manager's office where Pete awaits.

Imitating the "Sorcerer's Apprentice," Pete is wearing red robes and puts on Yen Sid's hat, raising into the air, his hands coursing with magic power. The famous broomstick marching music plays as a flood of rapid water begins to gather up outside the windows, even being heard pounding against the door, ready to burst in. Lucky for guests, Mickey pops up from beneath the floor boards, promising to save guests from Pete. In a strobe light-filled room of star bursts and over-sized comic book words ("BOOM!" "POW!" "BANG!" "THUNDEROUS EXPLOSION!"). The final room shows Mickey wearing his "Sorcerer's Apprentice robes and holding Yen Sid's hat, a dizzy, knocked-out Pete on the floor nearby, wearing nothing more than his underwear (a frequent gag that many 90's kids will remember seeing on TV many times), little birds and stars spinning around his head. Mickey apologizes for the inconvenience and states that he'll be seeing them real soon or something inspirational like that. The cans exit the nightclub and head through the alleyway once more, bombarded by news reporters wishing to interview the brave souls who escaped the notorious nightclub. These reporters are actually left overs from the final scene of the former Monsters, Inc. ride, and Roz, still in LCI form makes an appearance, interacting with guests before they reenter the loading area. To fit in with the theme of being interviewed, Roz now wears a jacket making it more than clear that she now works for the Hollywood Land Tribune, a notepad and pencil at hand.

That's an alternative to the Great Movie Ride. Tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Justonedream View Post
    What strikes you about the shape of a redwood for a theater?

I'm not saying it is wrong, or a bad idea, I'm just curious.
    I can just imagine entering the theater through the hollowed out bottom with all the roots spreading out. It would be iconic and fit the area like a dream.

Name:  1.1217125080.playing-inside-a-fallen-redwood.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  74.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post

As for the GMR. That was not my original choice which is why I've decided to replace it with an old idea of mine that was VERY well-received on MiceChat: The Disney Villain Nightclub.
    That ride sounds incredible!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheThirdFloor View Post
    I can just imagine entering the theater through the hollowed out bottom with all the roots spreading out. It would be iconic and fit the area like a dream.

Name:  1.1217125080.playing-inside-a-fallen-redwood.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  74.2 KB
    Oh, I imagined the tree the actual theater, and was thinking that made no sense.

As the ENTRANCE/queue on the other hand, BRILLIANT.

• I'm a Lutheran

That picture of the redwood is exactly what I was thinking!

The second you enter the fallen tree you find yourself inside a much more rustic Northern California take on the traditional Country Bear Jamboree lobby. The main theater itself would take inspiration from the original CBJ theater while not cloning too much of it. It'd have its own unique flare as this version of the show is very much unique in its own right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast