Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Armchair Imagineer

Carsland Neon Signage - Is It Real or is it...?

From the recent photos and video that I have seen of the new Carsland at night, the signage looks spectacular. Although they appear to be neon lights, I know that traditional neon has problems with breakage, humming, and other things. I heard rumblings from Burbank that Disney has used something that looks like neon but with 21st Century technology and energy efficiency -- LED Neon Flex. Here are the rumored details:
    What is LED Neon Flex? Well in short it is a patented revolutionary LED Neon lighting product that is a true replacement for traditional glass neon. LED Neon Flex is energy efficient, durable, and easy to install. Green LED Lighting Solutions is proud to offer LED Neon Flex in standard Professional version, Designer version, RGB color changing, and Contour Slim Ultra-thin.

LED Neon Flex offers considerable advantages over conventional lighting and other led lighting solutions. Our products are smaller, lighter, environmentally friendly and ROHS compliant (Lead & Mercury Free). LED Neon Flex is ideal for installations requiring low profiles or variable lengths. LED Neon Flex can be cut at any cutting mark and used separately. A life span of 45,000 hours, a PVC jacket with UV inhibitors and a two year, limited warranty ensure a lasting, high impact effect for years to come. This smart, compact and light weight Fixture simplifies the design process.

LED Neon Flex is designed specifically to deliver high-quality neon light necessary for 21st century neon lighting applications. This new light source reduces power consumption while delivering significantly greater lighting functionality and an unrivaled light quality.

Can anyone confirm this?

Re: Carsland Neon Signage - Is It Real or is it...?

I'm pretty sure the neon is 100% real neon. John Lasseter and other imagineers working on the project have specifically said they were only using the real stuff for this project. LED neon alternatives have a very different look to them so unless they created a completely new product then that is real neon.

• Dream in wonderful color!

It's real! Here's a video of how it was made

Also, here's a great post by Flynnibus that details the differences in real neon vs fake using Cars examples:

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    To circle back to an earlier discussion... about neon

The point about Disney using 'fake' neon or real neon was brought up and lots of people dismissed the significance of this.

Well for those who don't follow activities in FL.. the Cars themed section of the new Art of Animation resort has a very detailed area between the buildings that uses many of the same elements we see in Carsland.

An earlier view of the area can be seen in this video..

Now, we have video of the area lit up at night... note the cozy cone sign in the video

Looks decent.. but a bit off putting after seeing the Carsland version right? Well that's right, because the sign in the AoA courtyard isn't real neon like the one in Carsland is. Look at the sign in the day video.. it has no dimension to it's surface.. which you can also see as the sign rotates in the lit version at night. This is light channel or EL lit - not exposed neon tubes.

Compare them in stills...

to

Now the exposure is different in those photos.. but even still.. you can see the vast differences in the sign in terms of it's glow, warmth, and even color.

That is why that attention to detail is so important.. and why true Neon is so important.

Thx to insidethemagic for the videos...
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post

Also, here's a great post by Flynnibus that details the differences in real neon vs fake using Cars examples:

thank you the stills tell the whole story

I think it is GREAT that they would buzz--shouldn't sound be part of the experience?

• Minion

I can't say what they are using in Cars Land but I have used LED Neon Flex and it is an AMAZING product. You can put it under water, drive over it, beat it with a hammer and twist it into whatever shape you need. I have spoken with the people at LED Neon Flex many times and they told me a few years ago that they were working with Disney to replace all the neon in WDW with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the flex. It makes so much sense because it hardly uses any energy at all and lasts longer than Neon does.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I can definitely see why the parks would want to replace much of their signage with LED Neon Flex, but for something like Carsland where so much of the atmosphere depends on authentic neon signage, I'm glad they stuck with it.

I hope it's real Neon with the buzz, it adds to the atmosphere and that's how it is in Radiator Springs.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post

. . . .
    Nonob88, thanks for that excellent post #3 in which included a re-posting Flynnibus' excellent neon Cars post

All I know it looks really cool at night pretty we saw it from our hotel room in april.

I agree it looks real, even if it's not. And that's what matters. Why be caught up in authentisity in a fake world? But as for the buzzing sounds, it's noisy enough in a theme park that you'd hardly hear it.
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's another oldie but goodie from the DCA tracker... back before Disney posted the 'making of ... ' video

?? I didn't deny there aren't alternatives - in fact said there are ones and listed an example. LED light channels do not have the look of true neon - they are similar but different. Your picture of the DCL boat is just accent lighting - not even in the same class as neon.

What makes neon difficult to fake is the movement you see in the gas itself, the dimension the lit tube has, the viewable angles, and when up close, the hum of the transformers. Light Channel paths do not have the same dimension or organic movement to them. They tend to be flat and sterile. Using LEDs in indirect lighting helps mask the problems of LED lighting which include bright spots and their lack of dimension or depth. People do make tube fake neon too.. but because they use diffusion and very bright sources to get the light distance.. the lighting is TOO uniform and lacks the dimension of neon.

Here is a great example of the difference

Here is an example of using electroluminescent wire (also mentioned before..)

Neon - often imitated - not yet duplicated
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Armchair Imagineer

I respectfully disagree. This sign was made with LED technology, and it looks very much like classic neon:
    Name:  led neon.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  60.7 KB

I have confidence that the Imagineers could modify this technology to produce the "flowing gas" look of classic neon and retain all of the advantages of LED Neon Flex.

• Pilot EdForceOne

what is up with that picture? It looks heavily edited in wierd ways. The light patterns on the flat surface don't look natural at all.. let alone the background.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Armchair Imagineer

what is up with that picture? It looks heavily edited in wierd ways. The light patterns on the flat surface don't look natural at all.. let alone the background.
    Flynnibus, my MiceChat colleague and friend, that photo was downloaded from the manufacturer's website and I did not alter it in any way. The manufacturer of LED Neon Flux (Green LED Lighting Solutions) would no more stoop to false advertising than would Disney. You and I both share the same passion for new technology -- why don't we contact the manufacturer and put this question to them:
    Can you produce a LED Neon Flux sign that is indistinguishable to real neon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast