Crowds at WDW vs DLR

Thought I would ask the Disneyland gang this question. I have been only to Disneyland in Anaheim. I have never felt like I wanted to go to Florida. It is a more affordable vacation for us to go to Anaheim. Having said that, I wondered if the crowds feel lighter in Florida given it is a larger space - or do they just tend to get bigger crowds there?? I guess what I really miss when I go to Disneyland is being able to experience the ambience and detail. I get there about 4 days in a row each year. We go in May. I just wonder what it would feel like to walk around and really see the scenery and setting. With crowds of various sizes all year long - I don't know if that is possible to do. I envy those of you who can go down on a regular basis and find a rhythm and time that maximizes your experience - and you can plan to stay later or go earlier when crowds are lighter. I could do those things to - but I am just getting my "theme park legs" by the time to go back home to reality. The thought occured to me that perhaps WDW might be feel emptier than DL and maybe I should plan to go there some time. Those of you who have been to both places, what has been your experience?? Thank you.

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Crowds at WDW vs DLR

Every time I go to WDW, the crowds feel lighter, even when their locals say that it is a "crowded" day.

I think it is because DLR is more consistently crowded now throughout the year. We are used to the crowd levels here, and going to Florida feels lighter because of what we are accustomed to.

• MaliBOOMer

When I went to Florida it felt about the same. Magic Kingdom and Epcot being the crowded ones. (Disneyland) Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom being lighter. (DCA)

However that is my experience.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Under that tree again!

I find the lines are about the same all week at WDW as a normal weekend at DLR. All of WDW has large walkways and plenty of dining and shopping so the rest of the park never seems as bad even if the lines are.

• Minion

WDW is by far more crowded, but less claustrophobic. To me, it never feels for a second like there are less people there than at DL...that's because you realize the spaces are more open and it's still crowded...haha hopefully that makes sense.

Also, there's no 'off-season' at WDW anymore, at least not MK. It is pretty much packed every day of the year (in other words, you won't ever see TSMM, Soarin, RnR, or any MK ride at below 20/30 minute waits. Ever.

• Seasick

I've visited WDW in October a few times and I thought it felt a little less crowded than Disneyland at the same time of the year, but pretty similair. It's a good time to go in my opinion.

Some attractions like Toy Story Midway Mania had a consistently longer wait time in Florida, due to the Studios park being light on attractions and the presence of Fastpass on that attraction.

One thing I found was that I didn't see an influx of crowds on the weekends like you do in Anaheim. I was at Epcot on a Friday night for the first night of Food & Wine Festival and expected an influx of locals. It didn't happen, and in fact one could get a good spot to view Illuminations at the last minute.

In contrast, Disneyland becomes extremely crowded on Friday nights, to the point where you feel like you can barely move in some areas.

The least crowded I've seen Disneyland is weekdays at the end of January. Big draws like Space Mountain and Soarin were walk-ons.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

It feels less crowded, yes. But the lines are consistently longer, and that blame goes on the fact that both resorts have roughly the same amount of attractions, and Disneyland squeezes them into half the number of parks. At WDW, for example, Soarin and Toy Story are consistently 90 minutes or more, and even Winnie the Pooh is often at 45 minutes.

Well, thanks for all of your feedback. It doesn't make me want to rush out and head off to WDW. What I gather from your comments is that WDW has some 5 (?) parks but approx. the same number of attractions. So I could go to DLR and buy a park hopper for both places and ride everything, or go to WDW and purchase (I don't even know if they have park-hopper there or not) admittance to 5 parks and still only ride the same number of attractions. Longer line ups and really no light days at WDW. I shall be armed with that info the next time my nosy SIL gets on my case about always going to DLR.

At one time someone (maybe here on this site) told me that in DLR off-season the daily attendance would be 30,000-40,000. Summer attendance would be 50,000-60,000. Christmas and other insane holidays could get up to 80,000. What would attendance numbers be for WDW if any of you know that?? Thanks.

The NUMBER of attractions may be the same but the attractions themselves are quite different. And there are many more shows and dining options in WDW four (not five) parks. Plus there are two world class waterparks, a golf course, miniature golf courses, jet ski or pontoon rentals, etc... And that doesn't even include all of the resorts that anyone can dine in. And the Animal Kingdom Park and Lodge have no comparison to anything at Disneyland. I say take an 8 day vacation to WDW and make your own judgement. You won't be disappointed.

Its not just about how many rides you can go in in the shortest amount of time.

Very hectic during the summer because it is a small park but anytime before that it is okay.