Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Radiator Springs Racers Review - Warning SPOILERS!

One of the perks of running a big Disney fan site is getting to know lots of well connected people in the company and in media. I have spoken with a number of folks recently about the new Radiator Springs Racers ride at California Adventure and have pieced together this scene by scene description of the new mega attraction. Please note, this review is one big long spoiler, so don't read any further if you don't want to ruin the surprise.

Radiator Springs Racers:

We're going to leave the detailed queue out of this discussion for now and focus on the ride itself.

Once you are seated and buckled in to your car, all the vehicles that have just loaded move forward simultaneously (as they did in Rocket Rods and do on Test Track) and you begin to hear the Sheriff’s voice giving you the safety spiel. When his part is complete, Ramone gives riders the Spanish version of the same spiel. Your seat belts are checked at a small control area by a cast member a few feet down from the loading area. Once you are cleared and begin to move forward, a familiar score is heard. The “McQueen and Sally” song from Cars plays as you take a mini scenic tour of Ornament Valley and you catch a nice view of Radiator Springs along with the rest of Cars Land. You begin to go under an arch and the waterfall is revealed. As your vehicle continues, you enter a tunnel into the canyon and make your way into the showroom.

Down the dark tunnel, your first surprise is Mac, honking and blaring his horn as he shines his lights as if you nearly crashed into him. The following scenes are inspired by Lightning McQueen being lost in the desert at night. You swerve out of Mac’s way and dodge characters Mini and Van who are on either side of the track, trying to avoid you in the darkness. You make your way down the road and approach train tracks. The car quickly turns right as you only see the approaching lights of the train but never really see the train itself. You come to a billboard on your left and Sheriff drives out from behind, greeting you and calling Mater to take you on from there. Mater appears on the right and backs away as you move forward, asking if you have ever been tractor tipping. He backs up into the bushes and then appears again (a second Audio-Animatronic of Mater). He tells you to honk your horn as you approach a couple of tractors, the car honks and the tractors begin to “moo” and fall back, their wheels dangling in the air like in the movie. With that comes the warning of Frank, and of course, the 2nd surprise, Frank appears out of the darkness in front of you and raises his blades at your car. Your vehicle makes a quick left and you pick up speed for a moment and drive up the road. Your car slows down again and a full moon in the sky features a silhouette of Mater arching across it.

Here is where you enter Radiator Springs. You drive past Flo’s where Filmore and Sarge exchange words to the right of you. On your left is Lizzie in front of her Radiator Springs Curios shop. As you continue, Red waters flowers with a cool effect similar to Madame Leota of The Haunted Mansion. Water flows on a screen shaped as a water spout arch. Lightning McQueen and Sally are found in the center in front of a forced perspective set of the rest of Radiator Springs. They tell you that you need to be prepped for the big race and split you off into either Luigi’s Casa Della Tires (left) or Ramone’s House of Body Art (Right).

If you enter Luigi’s, you make your way through his tire shop and come to a stop where Guido is to your right in a trap door and Luigi is parked to the left. Luigi takes care of you and Guido drops under as the trap door closes. Your vehicle rocks from side to side and Guido works on your car and you are shown the results on a mirror that is revealed behind red curtains. You then move on to the next room where Doc awaits.

If you enter Ramone’s, one of the first things you notice right away is the smell of fresh paint in the air. You will see two robotic arms that are ready to give your car a brand new paint job. Ramone and Flo can be seen on screens to your right as they watch the robotic arms move up and down and spray you with a mist. At the end of the shop, two angled mirrors on opposite sides show off the work that has been done. Once you’ve been “painted,” you move into a scene where Doc awaits.

Doc has his mic and headset ready as he is adorned with his Fabulous Hudson Hornet decal and rests on hydraulic lifts. He is positioned in the center of the room where the split track goes through and turns to talk to the passing car. With words of encouragement, you are sent into the next scene where you either wait for your opponent or your opponent is already waiting for you.

Luigi and Guido (wearing his colorful Italian afro) are waiting on the left and count you down. Luigi waves a checkered flag with enthusiasm and you take off to the outer portion of the attraction.

Out of the showroom your engine revs and you head towards your first bank turn around the butte behind the courthouse with the letters RS on it. The entire time you either pull ahead of your opponent or your opponent pulls ahead of you. You bank right and you’ll notice the high cliffs on your left and a low rock on the right as if it is almost low enough to hit you. After the turn, you drive straight and through two dips followed by a bigger dip where spectators can see you race side by side. After that dip, you bank left around Willy’s Butte and head straight into a dark tunnel filled with mist. You emerge back up and out of the tunnel and your cars head for the finish line. After you both cross the finish line, you make your way around the last banked turn to the right and slow down into Tail Light Caverns. Inside, you will notice glowing red and orange stalaclights and stalaglights (get it?!) in this colorful cavern.

You continue forward where Mater and McQueen exchange words. As you pass the two animatronics on your left, the 2 tracks become 1 again and you head back into the unload station. Riders exit to the left and head upstairs to where you will see your photo finish. From there, you head back downstairs and out of the cave where you will see the last bank turn you made a minute ago. You exit under two bridges where the ride passes over and are back near the courthouse.

And that my friends is Radiator Springs Racers in a nut shell. By all accounts, it's a stunning attraction.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Unhelpful User

Re: Radiator Springs Racers Review - Warning SPOILERS!

I guarantee this will be a great ride!

Sounds pretty amazing!

• MaliBOOMer

Sounds Amazing. I have two concerns, my biggest concern is it will be too slow. I am afraid that 40 mph won't even be fast enough to have a fun zip to it. I understand it isn't supposed to a real "thrill" ride, but I hope it as at least fast enough to be pretty thrilling, think Slash Mountain apposed to Pirates of the Caribbean. Second concern is the dark ride portion sounds AMAZING with awesome effects, animatronics, and what not. That is my concern that it will go the way of Indiana Jones. Things will consistently break and stay broken for quite some time.

But besides those two things Radiator Springs Racers sounds spectacular. I hope it will be DCA's big anchor attraction.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• former CM

THANKS, DUSTY!

I hope this ride remains exclusively at Disneyland. I look for reasons (differences) to visit other Disney resorts.

With two great Disney parks, Southern California could become even more of a national and international tourist destination!

I wonder how long the lines will be for Fastpasses for this attraction,
    and I wonder what Disney will do to keep these lines orderly.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Sounds Amazing. I have two concerns, my biggest concern is it will be too slow. I am afraid that 40 mph won't even be fast enough to have a fun zip to it. I understand it isn't supposed to a real "thrill" ride, but I hope it as at least fast enough to be pretty thrilling, think Slash Mountain apposed to Pirates of the Caribbean. Second concern is the dark ride portion sounds AMAZING with awesome effects, animatronics, and what not. That is my concern that it will go the way of Indiana Jones. Things will consistently break and stay broken for quite some time.

But besides those two things Radiator Springs Racers sounds spectacular. I hope it will be DCA's big anchor attraction.
    The way things look now, RSR won't just be the anchor of DCA, it will likely be seen as the anchor attraction of the entire resort (at least for a while).

The ride does not appear to be too slow. The dark ride section is perhaps too fast (many folks wanting even more time in the show scenes), the outdoor sections are zippy. If they went any faster, it would ruin the illusion of a huge valley. Again, I think they need to be careful to preserve the illusion of speed without having you run through the area so fast that you leave feeling that you've been cheated. Right now, most folks are leaving the attraction VERY happy.

Effects breaking down is always an issue. This will have much more to do with how Ops maintains the ride than anything else. I think they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    THANKS, DUSTY!

I hope this ride remains exclusively at Disneyland. I look for reasons (differences) to visit other Disney resorts.

With two great Disney parks, Southern California could become even more of a national and international tourist destination!

I wonder how long the lines will be for Fastpasses for this attraction,
    and I wonder what Disney will do to keep these lines orderly.
    I seriously doubt that Radiator Springs Racers will remain exclusive forever. Eventually, one of the other Disney resorts (the Japanese perhaps) are going to want their own version. And if the land is a big hit, you can bet that bits and pieces of it (or the whole thing) will be cloned or extrapolated.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Any leaked videos of the ride or any of the carsland rides
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Resident of the Caldera

The Tokyo Disney Resort has absolutely no land on which to build something the size of Cars land.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Alexshow View Post
    Any leaked videos of the ride or any of the carsland rides
    Just this Pre-Vis video: RSR Pre-Vis - YouTube

That is all I know of.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    The Tokyo Disney Resort has absolutely no land on which to build something the size of Cars land.
    Sooo true! And thats the thing, its a HUGE attraction that takes up massive space (the show room alone is the size of Indy, not even including the outside portion) and one of the most expensive ever built. Hell I think its THE most expensive ever built. So I think with the amount of land it will need and the massive costs (although it will be less now that the R and D is done) I dont see it happening anywhere soon. You cant exactly 'shoe horn' it in another land the way you can TOT, Soarin and Buzz and where ever it goes the Rt 66 theme is the only thing that makes sense for it and there is no other places that has that theme anywhere else to work which basically means they will have to make it its own land like CL. Probably nothing to that extent though, but it will need something to anchor it.

I have not read the OP (dont want to be spoiled, although I been spoiled enough already lol) but the reactions from it alone sounds good! ALL the praise this ride is getting, combined with the reaction and reviews of CL in general, I have no idea how this will 'fail'? I think RSR will be the 'Indy' of DCA and CL will sort of be the Frontierland of DCA in general, the rustic and down home area of the park!

I'm glad its starting to sound like runaway hit and something DCA really needs to go into its new, more positive era!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 06-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Thanks!

Is that Paul Newmans' voice from a track (used or unused) in the movie or another actor?Sounded just like him. Hope it was.

What kind of noises do the vehicles make? Is it similar to Test Track with its motor whine and popping air brakes, or is it toned way down?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

OMG....i cant wait now....darn it....how will be able to wait another two weeks with a review like this...its the ride I've been waiting for since Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

For perspective, Space Mountain goes 28 mph and is quite fun...different kind of ride, yes, but you can have a perception of speed that's quite good even at 40mph
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    Thanks!

Is that Paul Newmans' voice from a track (used or unused) in the movie or another actor?Sounded just like him. Hope it was.
    It may have been, but it was more likely the same method they used for the voice Rod Serling on Tower...A voice impersonator.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast