Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    279

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    I've been on this ride several times now, and I can tell you these pictures capture the dark ride portion nicely.

    I haven't spoken publicly about my rides on Racers because I wanted people to be surprised by how good the indoor dark ride portion is. But now that Disney is releasing photos, I will say that Radiator Springs Racers is ONE OF THE BEST RIDES DISNEY HAS EVER DONE ANYWHERE.

    It's instantly one of the best rides in Anaheim, up there with Indy and Pirates and Splash Mt. But it's also one of the best rides Disney has going anywhere. It's just got it all; great showmanship, huge amounts of charm and wit, and fun thrills in a stunning environment.

    When you are inside Cars Land you are transported far from Anaheim. And when you are on Radiator Springs Racers, you seem to be transported to a fantastic world where the movie Cars comes to life and you are part of it all. It's truly a great, great E Ticket attraction the entire family can enjoy over and over.
    Do you mind telling us how long the ride is?

  2. #62

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.
    Posts
    458

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    everyone's opinion of rides is diff, and while i think both are decent rides and enjoy both, the only thing that matters is ride level and line length to gauge a ride's true popularity. monsters inc has the smallest lines anywhere (its location does suck, but still), and tlm after just a year is already a 5 min wait or less for large parts of the day. contrast that to peter pan (popular because it flies, not cuz of nostalgia imo) at 30 mins, alice at 20 mins, toy story a consistent 45 min wait, astroblasters at 25 mins, mr toad's at 20 mins+.
    You are missing half the equation, the people per hour. Dumbo has hour waits, I expect LFT to be the same way. Its because 400-500 people per hour can ride it. Its not because they are or are going to be great rides. If the line for a ride that scoots 2000 people through it is 10 minutes, its still eating tons more people than Peter Pan that does about 600 people per hour.

  3. #63

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Bay Area
    Posts
    506

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    the whole 'e-ticket' vs 'd-ticket' debate is kind of odd to be honest since disney abandoned those decades ago and everyone invariably has their own definition of what constitutes an e-ticket ride vs d-ticket. that said ill concede toy story, but don't think it's unfair to toss pirates and mansion in the debate. also you didn't say much about the tokyo disneyland dark rides - if you haven't seen them, they are both a wonder to behold. that's the level of sophistication disney is capable of.

    frankly i think the disapointment in tlm is partly because disney DID spend a lot, over 100 million is the rumor (pooh's hunt cost 130 mil for japan, but i bet if we reused it here it would be a lot cheaper since all the r&d for trackless went into that). and it takes up a HUGE footprint in the park too, it's just a little bit smaller than the haunted mansion ride structure... and it sits in the middle of the park, prime real-estate (instead of floating on the outside like many of the other rides). despite all that, it's at best a solid but not overwhelming dark room ride. and that's kind of what we expect now. our expectation levels are (perhaps unfairly) high. even as a fantasyland style dark room ride, it's only good, and unliek those rides, doesn't have 40+ years of nostalgia built in.

    everyone's opinion of rides is diff, and while i think both are decent rides and enjoy both, the only thing that matters is ride level and line length to gauge a ride's true popularity. monsters inc has the smallest lines anywhere (its location does suck, but still), and tlm after just a year is already a 5 min wait or less for large parts of the day. contrast that to peter pan (popular because it flies, not cuz of nostalgia imo) at 30 mins, alice at 20 mins, toy story a consistent 45 min wait, astroblasters at 25 mins, mr toad's at 20 mins+.

    if anyone here has been to tokyo disneyland, you will understand what i mean by how good their dark room versions are, while we got stuck with our monsters inc and winnie the pooh. just because you are a dark ride, doesn't mean you can't do something spectacular. imagine a tlm ride using trackless, or was interactive in someway. that's what people are expecting these days.
    Yeah line length has nothing to do with how popular/unpopular an attraction is. TLM has one of the highest hourly capacities at the entire resort. It is pulling more riders per hour than most rides, including Star Tours which is a very popular attraction. I think to many people assumed that TLM was supposed to be much more than it really is which is a fantastic ride though the story just like all of the fantasyland dark rides. IMO the TLM easily is the best of these rides at the resort and has some of the best animatronics, I mean that Ursula is amazing!

  4. #64

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    94

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    You are missing half the equation, the people per hour. Dumbo has hour waits, I expect LFT to be the same way. Its because 400-500 people per hour can ride it. Its not because they are or are going to be great rides. If the line for a ride that scoots 2000 people through it is 10 minutes, its still eating tons more people than Peter Pan that does about 600 people per hour.
    yah the ride capacity is important too. the reason though i focus on the wait times as a gauge for popularity is because at the end of the day, that's what guests see and care about (whereas very few know what the ride capacities are). and every guest has their own internal engine of how long they are willing to wait for a ride. and thus the aggregate wait times across all the rides of the parks are what all the guests as a whole are willing to wait. and i think it's a good metric because they are really quite stable throughout a day, and this is a reasonable proxy for how "popular" or "desirable" a ride is relative to all the other rides at the parks.

    what i mean is this - joe smith and his group of 4 would love to ride ALL the disneyland rides. but they are only willing to wait a certain amount for each ride, based on how much they want to ride it. and with the wait times displayed in multiple places (at the ride, in carnation, on your smart phone), everyone has information on these times. thus they see that space mountain is at 60 minutes, and they go 'ooh im willing ot wait up to 74 mins for this ride' and they go in. and soon enough, space mountain is at 75 minutes. and another group comes along and goes '75?? screw that! ill go find something else'. thus the overall wait time remains fairly constant at 75 minutes, and its because people are willing to wait that long for such a fun ride, but not longer.

    peter pan is 30 because everyone wants to go on peter pan and thus people are willing to wait 30. as a whole, they aren't willing to wait 45 though so you rarely see the lines go to 45. people arent willing to wait more than 15 mins for snow white, as i have rarely seen it longer than that. toy story is a consistent 45 minutes. the fact that monsters inc is always almost immediate says 1 of 2 things: people so don't care about the ride that no one goes on it, and that people who do want to go on the ride probably wouldn't bother if the wait was more than immediate. either way, its a poor reflection of its popularity. (monsters inc doesnt have spectacularily high ride capacity either).

    for TLM, it has very high ride capacity by virtue of being an omnimover. even with that though, a scarce year after it came out it's wait times are never over 10 minutes. contrast that to other omnimover rides like haunted mansion or astroblasters - both typically have longer wait times. obv being in DCA is a bit of a disadvantage since there are less people in all, but there are also less rides that compete with it. it's also super new, and new rides shuold have higher wait times by virtue of being new.

    you are rigth that tlm can eat up a lot of people, but having almost no line is bad for park management. i think for every ride there is probably an ideal wait time that they wuold love to hit. a queue of people means you have siphoned off X number of guests (200?) away from all the other rides and park. for TLM, a wait time of 15-20 minutes would be nice (about astroblasters length). short enough where people don't mind, but long enough that you trap a good few hundred guests. if tlm doesn't trap them though, then some other ride will, and you start seeing extra long waits for grizzly or toy story. or more likely, people going back to disneyland and clogging up that park even more. thus i am almost certain that tlm's rideship and average queue length is something of a disapointment to dca management.

    this leads to my original point - i really think the era of static, non-interactive, pure dark room rides is over. guests just don't care. the fantasyland rides along with sw, hm and pirates are popular mostly cuz of nostalgia reasons. we rode those when we were 6. now that we have 6 year olds of our own, we naturally want to pass the nostalgia on. but a new ride like winnie the pooh in critters, monsters at dca, or tlm just doesn't have that. and i do like all 3, don't get me wrong, but it's just not that important for me to ride. and i simply won't ride it if the lines are over 5 minutes (which is never).

    what do we as a whole expect? we expect something ground breaking (pooh's honey hunt), something interactive (astroblasters, monsters inc at tokyo disyneyland, toy story), or something thrilling (indy/dinosaurs, journey to the center of the earth at disneysea, test track, radiatorsprings racers). those are the rides that have proven to be incredibly popular, and thus are the ones that guests want and are willing to brave long lines for.

  5. #65

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    437

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    But, I dont expect to experience those things on EVERY ride I get on. The interactive rides like Buzz or Mania dont realy do that much for me. I like a ride like TLM at least as much if not more. Personally, my favorite rides are those that have heart, with a little excitement mixed in as well. i couldnt care less about the technology that gives it to me.

  6. #66

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    yah the ride capacity is important too. the reason though i focus on the wait times as a gauge for popularity is because at the end of the day, that's what guests see and care about (whereas very few know what the ride capacities are). and every guest has their own internal engine of how long they are willing to wait for a ride. and thus the aggregate wait times across all the rides of the parks are what all the guests as a whole are willing to wait. and i think it's a good metric because they are really quite stable throughout a day, and this is a reasonable proxy for how "popular" or "desirable" a ride is relative to all the other rides at the parks.

    what i mean is this - joe smith and his group of 4 would love to ride ALL the disneyland rides. but they are only willing to wait a certain amount for each ride, based on how much they want to ride it. and with the wait times displayed in multiple places (at the ride, in carnation, on your smart phone), everyone has information on these times. thus they see that space mountain is at 60 minutes, and they go 'ooh im willing ot wait up to 74 mins for this ride' and they go in. and soon enough, space mountain is at 75 minutes. and another group comes along and goes '75?? screw that! ill go find something else'. thus the overall wait time remains fairly constant at 75 minutes, and its because people are willing to wait that long for such a fun ride, but not longer.

    peter pan is 30 because everyone wants to go on peter pan and thus people are willing to wait 30. as a whole, they aren't willing to wait 45 though so you rarely see the lines go to 45. people arent willing to wait more than 15 mins for snow white, as i have rarely seen it longer than that. toy story is a consistent 45 minutes. the fact that monsters inc is always almost immediate says 1 of 2 things: people so don't care about the ride that no one goes on it, and that people who do want to go on the ride probably wouldn't bother if the wait was more than immediate. either way, its a poor reflection of its popularity. (monsters inc doesnt have spectacularily high ride capacity either).

    for TLM, it has very high ride capacity by virtue of being an omnimover. even with that though, a scarce year after it came out it's wait times are never over 10 minutes. contrast that to other omnimover rides like haunted mansion or astroblasters - both typically have longer wait times. obv being in DCA is a bit of a disadvantage since there are less people in all, but there are also less rides that compete with it. it's also super new, and new rides shuold have higher wait times by virtue of being new.

    you are rigth that tlm can eat up a lot of people, but having almost no line is bad for park management. i think for every ride there is probably an ideal wait time that they wuold love to hit. a queue of people means you have siphoned off X number of guests (200?) away from all the other rides and park. for TLM, a wait time of 15-20 minutes would be nice (about astroblasters length). short enough where people don't mind, but long enough that you trap a good few hundred guests. if tlm doesn't trap them though, then some other ride will, and you start seeing extra long waits for grizzly or toy story. or more likely, people going back to disneyland and clogging up that park even more. thus i am almost certain that tlm's rideship and average queue length is something of a disapointment to dca management.

    this leads to my original point - i really think the era of static, non-interactive, pure dark room rides is over. guests just don't care. the fantasyland rides along with sw, hm and pirates are popular mostly cuz of nostalgia reasons. we rode those when we were 6. now that we have 6 year olds of our own, we naturally want to pass the nostalgia on. but a new ride like winnie the pooh in critters, monsters at dca, or tlm just doesn't have that. and i do like all 3, don't get me wrong, but it's just not that important for me to ride. and i simply won't ride it if the lines are over 5 minutes (which is never).

    what do we as a whole expect? we expect something ground breaking (pooh's honey hunt), something interactive (astroblasters, monsters inc at tokyo disyneyland, toy story), or something thrilling (indy/dinosaurs, journey to the center of the earth at disneysea, test track, radiatorsprings racers). those are the rides that have proven to be incredibly popular, and thus are the ones that guests want and are willing to brave long lines for.
    I agree with nearly all of this! I think TLM IS a popular ride, BUT at the same time I dont think its a must-do ride like those others you pointed out and people threshold for waiting for it is much smaller than waiting for an Indy, SM, Soarin etc.

    So yes, people are right, TLM is a high capacity ride and more people ride it than rides like Star Tours and SM! Same time though, I think BECAUSE its a fast moving line and no real wait for it, people are willing to do it. If its beyound 20-30 min waits, then I would imagine a lot less people would stand in line for it and at the end of the day this is really what we are talking about. Is it popular because people really want to do it and its a high priority to do OR do they do it because its a 10 min line thats really 5 mins and people do it because its more of a time killer?

    For some it may be the former, but I truly do think for the majority its the latter! In fact I remember being on Mouse Waits or something the weekend after it opened and they were showing the crazy line for it opening day, which was around 2 hours. And nearly every comment was its not worth that wait, but more like 5-10 mins. Of course that was opening day so people stood in it. A year later, which litterally its about a year later, I doubt most of those people who stood in a two hour line for it wouldnt even tolerate an hour wait today. Maybe not even 30 mins for it. But if had a 30 min line for Star Tours, Splash, SM, etc, that would be considered a gift.

    Thats the difference!

  7. #67

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    61

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    After only being open a few months, TLM is the "Peoplemover of the 21st Century" - no line, walk on, sit down for a few minutes to rest your feet, and "it's cool inside!"

  8. #68

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    551

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Nonsense.

    TLM is gorgeous from the outside and really good until after the Ursula scene, it's then when you can see the space constraints. It changes from a very immersive environment to you watching a scene. As odd as it is, the rushed ending seems to be a symptom of every Fantasyland dark ride - almost as if they forgot the space constaints halfway through building the ride.

    The reception for the ride seems almost unanimously positive though almost all reviews have a "but..." because of the ending and the scene transitions. Still a good dark ride.

  9. #69

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,172

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    But, I dont expect to experience those things on EVERY ride I get on. The interactive rides like Buzz or Mania dont realy do that much for me. I like a ride like TLM at least as much if not more. Personally, my favorite rides are those that have heart, with a little excitement mixed in as well. i couldnt care less about the technology that gives it to me.
    Just needs to be repeated.

  10. #70

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,209

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    Do you mind telling us how long the ride is?
    It's about 4 minutes long.


  11. #71

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.
    Posts
    458

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    After only being open a few months, TLM is the "Peoplemover of the 21st Century" - no line, walk on, sit down for a few minutes to rest your feet, and "it's cool inside!"
    The line is actually 10 min on average most of the time. Should be interesting once the park gets busy.

  12. #72

    • Resident of the Caldera
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nowhere near a Disney Park
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Yes, once the park gets busy you'll start to see the line at The Little Mermaid grow to between 10 and 25 minutes on average at the peak of the day. Kinda like the Haunted Mansion.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

  13. #73

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    48

    Re: First pictures from inside Radiator Springs Racers!!! Warning: Major Spoilers!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    Nonsense.
    Agreed. It's utter nonsense. TLM has a high capacity, which result in wait times of a mere 5-20 minutes on most days. The line moves very quickly. Ridership on TLM is very high, even on low capacity days.
    The reception for the ride seems almost unanimously positive though almost all reviews have a "but..." because of the ending and the scene transitions.
    That's not true. Very few people have a "'but...' because of the ending" review. The reception for the attraction is almost unanimously positive, ending an all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. Radiator Springs Racers Review - Warning SPOILERS!
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
  2. [Pictures] Radiator Springs Racers promotional picture!
    By Cadaverous in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
  3. [Pictures] Image of a Radiator Springs Racers Animatronic
    By Theflyingtire in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 12:16 PM
  4. [News] First Look at Radiator Springs Racers Vehicles
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •