Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why doesn't Luigi's FT seem to work like the Lasseter video?

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Maybe they can solve most of these issues by reducing the number of tires a bit? That would reduce capacity even more, but if they streamline the loading, that should compensate. They could also shorten the ride just a little to compensate for low capacity. Better a fun, short ride than a dud that lasts longer.
    I think those are actually some great ideas... yes, you have less riders per cycle, but the loading would be that much faster - and you have a more enjoyable experience overall. Something to consider... plus they hang on to the tires not being used so you can swap them out when the others need refurbishment. Its a win-win...

I think this attraction will last as long as it's "predecessor"
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I think this attraction will last as long as it's "predecessor"
    Exactly. It didn't work 50+ years ago, and it still doesn't work. The concept is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Maybe they can solve most of these issues by reducing the number of tires a bit? That would reduce capacity even more, but if they streamline the loading, that should compensate. They could also shorten the ride just a little to compensate for low capacity. Better a fun, short ride than a dud that lasts longer.
    The ride is already very short :/

---------- Post added 06-08-2012 at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by a-mad View Post
    Yes, I thought perhaps the # of ride vehicles (tires) would affect things such as speed and fun factor. Still - is the sensation of floating cool? Is there a reaction from the riders as their tires are lifted up off the ground? (and is it a noticeable effect?)
    There is actually, it's fun because as it happens everyones hair and such sort of flies up too, and some of the beach balls really take off.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

I get to ride this on Saturday. Going in with an open mind based off two things.

One, a CM that comes from the same age group as me, isn't in the parks normally, doesn't read these boards, and has a family that rode it yesterday, specifically pointed out this ride as being fun even with a one hour line.

Two, look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5Qcez4--DHA and watch some of the tires in the background and jump to the 27 second mark as well to see some speed and a decent collision. That just plain looks fun, with some good speed, and a decent bounce against another tire.

It looks like two bigger people leaning the same direction actually makes it move faster.
    Last edited by socalkdg; 06-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krack View Post
    Exactly. It didn't work 50+ years ago, and it still doesn't work. The concept is flawed.
    yep, it may sound bad but this concept needs to die and never retried.

I thought newer technology would improve the flaws, but apparently it's just not working.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

At some point they will rename it to "Luigi's Flat Tires."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by a-mad View Post
    I think those are actually some great ideas... yes, you have less riders per cycle, but the loading would be that much faster - and you have a more enjoyable experience overall. Something to consider... plus they hang on to the tires not being used so you can swap them out when the others need refurbishment. Its a win-win...
    Thanks, a-mad. It's possible that removing as little as two or three tires could open up enough space to make a world of difference. By the way, Disney, if you use my ideas, I promise I won't sue. There, you have it in writing.

I just want the ride to be fun by the time I visit in the fall. Besides, Canadians don't sue; that's just not our thing.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I think it looks boring in that youtube video.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I think it looks boring in that youtube video.
    Parts of it do. Some people have one person moving one direction, another in the other direction as they try and grab beach balls. Thus their tire doesn't move much.

But if you look behind some of the tires in the front you see them cruising accross at a good clip, plus one family all lean the same direction and they moved very quickly as well as smashed into other tires.

• Minion

Seriously, if they had simply put a big pile of huge rubber tires there, kids would have a ball climbing all over them.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Has anyone had the chance to ride this alone? All the videos I've seen are groups of 2 or 3 on one tire. Would it go faster with one adult leaning in the rider's desired direction.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Disney Junkie

ok i went on this ride yesterday at the CM preview, i absolutely loved this ride. the key is to not go after the beach balls. Just find an open area on the air field and lean in that direction. if no one else hits you, you can get going pretty fast. if someone looks like they are going to hit you try and anticipate it and lean in the direction opposite where they will hit, this will send you going faster once they hit you. hope this helps.

I think one of the problems here is that a lot of the flaws seem to conflict with each other - even if you solve one, it exacerbates another. For example, if you take out a few ride vehicles to free up space, it lowers capacity (negative) but does speed up loading (positive). But then if you lower the length of the ride (which is apparently about two minutes and fifteen seconds) to compensate for the lower capacity, you run into the problem that they apparently originally had, which was that the original 90 second length for this ride was not sufficient for the learning curve needed to master the techniques to fly the tire and make the ride fun! So they kind of all interlock with each other, making solving the issues fairly complex!

With that said, I think like any other ride, different people will enjoy this ride in different ways, and as it sticks around people will figure out their own niche. Those who want speed will figure out how to get into open areas and zoom around, those who want to bat around beach balls will figure out how to make quick dekes to get to one they can play with, and those who just kind of want to bob around and bump into people will figure that out too. It might not be the greatest attraction Disney has come up with (or rehashed) but it will have its place in visitors hearts just the same.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Krack View Post
    It didn't work 50+ years ago, and it still doesn't work. The concept is flawed.
    It's the execution of Luigi's that is flawed, not the concept. Tomorrowland's Flying Saucers failed because they were too far ahead of the available materials technology of their time -- the air valves and blowers were a maintenance nightmare. When the blowers and valves all were working, the ride rocked. Luigi's has a different issue, or rather combination of issues: vehicle design and weight, number of vehicles on the platform at one time, and the fact that the platform is way too small for both a good ride experience and good capacity. All of which is in theory fixable... if Disney wants to spend the bucks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast