Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Why doesn't Luigi's FT seem to work like the Lasseter video?

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Guy, the ride works. It just takes a bit of getting used to.
    If only the actual vehicles could spin like people on this site can.

---------- Post added 06-09-2012 at 10:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    You can see the original prototype tires for LFT at the :28 mark in this video:
    Preview of Luigi's Flying Tires in Cars Land at Disney's California Adventure - YouTube

You can see how high above the ground the tires flew, how fast they went and how quickly they spun. Obviously the design of the tires changed from prototype to finished product.
    Thank you for posting this and reminding us of the actual attraction WDI pitched and P&R management thought they were getting. Compare these effortlessly spinning, "flying" vehicles to the paperweights we actually got. P&R management is truly upset (Rocket Rods all over again) and WDI is pointing fingers (again, Rocket Rods all over again).

But hey, throw some beach balls in there and maybe people won't notice the ride is a joke. Maybe we can hand out squirt guns on Little Mermaid and you can "interact" with the other guests in the other clamshells - wouldn't that be a hoot! At least it will distract you from looking at the static fish and emergency exit walkways - er, I mean being under the sea.

There is probably a whole lot that got lost or changed since the ride was in initial developmental stages. In that video you can clearly see two types of vehicles testing different theories. All that spinning is aided by those two exhaust ports pointing in opposite directions on the side of the one car, the final design obviously having nothing like that.

Really I'm not sure what they could do at this point to help, and this probably should have been caught a lot sooner but I'm guessing they finalized the design which wasn't exactly like their testing stuff, and this is what we get. I also think that possibly flaws were known early on but Lasseter wanted it so bad and kept pushing it.

Not to personally attack anyone but some of the ideas I read here are ridiculous. Having rebounding walls isn't feasible at all. Any bump that would give the car any type of reasonable movement would not be comfortable at all. I mean just picture two cars moving at each other, when they hit how far do they move in opposite directions? Not much probably, so it would have to be even stronger. Not only that but I'd imagine it would offset the balance of the vehicle and could cause it to nose dive like leaning too far does.

Having the vehicles move while you get into them makes no sense. First of all all the rides mentioned with that type of loading are on a track, weather you see it or not. This ride is 100% rider controlled and so getting on the ride and then moving out onto the main field and then expecting everyone to manage to maneuver it back to some trough to get off would cause way more problems than the "bumper car" method they use now. The people in RCT are a bit more programmed.

Instead of trying to fix the tires, perhaps they can get larger blower motors so that more air is blown up from the floor thereby raising the tires a bit higher off the ground.

• Resident of the Caldera

"Having the vehicles move while you get into them makes no sense. First of all all the rides mentioned with that type of loading are on a track, weather you see it or not."

You have not ridden Aquatopia in Tokyo DisneySEA. The vehicles are all brought (via the line-wire system embedded in the floor--something which could be added here) into a neat line that slowly moves past the loading area--just like the older rides which load while moving.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Idk....my friend and I really got the hang of it and got that thing moving fast. It's really quite a fun ride if you can get the hang of it. We really enjoyed our time on it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    This: "how did wdi evenlet this past the drawing board when they did their initial calculations?" is a very good question.

Just like, how did WDI get away with telling management and everyone else that the Paradise Pier Park, the viewing area for World of Color, would fit thousands more people than actually fit? It wasn't until they starting shoving cast members in there after hours that everyone (except the sneaky guys who designed it) realized it held less than half of the expected capacity.

WDI is a snake pit and always has been. Walt pitted people against one another and while that sometimes ended up in great creations, it also generated a poisonous atmosphere that no history of WDI or the biographies of any of the Imagineers have ever delved into because they're afraid of getting the crap sued out of them by Disney. I'm sure they've all signed NDA (Non-Disclosure-Agreements) anyway.

I've already written this several times, but it bears repeating: everyone at WDI and in upper management knows that Luigi's in its current form is a fiasco. The heavy vehicles holding two people, and probably a lot of stupid rules from DOSH, are the problems. Also, the loading should be like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, or Aquatopia, where the vehicles never stop moving when you enter and exit.

Rather than tear the ride out in a few years, Lasseter will force them to find the money to build new build new ride vehicles and expand the platform. They'll claim that the ride is so popular that they have to double its size, and it's under that guise that they will also introduce new lighter ride vehicles of some sort.
    I think LFT is a solid C ticket ride. Guests wants/needs for speed vary a lot, and really small kids who might shy away from the tea cups, because it looks like they're going too fast, will want to ride LFT. In that way, LFT fills a hole in Carsland for the little kids who otherwise wouldn't have much to ride, Mater's can really get going, so some with small kids might shy away.

As the ride has not been in formal operation, and has not yet been tweaked, I don't think that anybody at WDI thinks its a failure! If I was in charge, one fix might be to add some "single rider" tires which are lighter weight and can really zoom around. Those riding with small kids can use the big tires.

But don't expect any major changes anytime soon, with a ride capacity less than a thousand a day, its going to take years for everybody to get to ride this who wants to . . . to say nothing about repeat business.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sDLCastMember View Post
    If only the actual vehicles could spin like people on this site can.

---------- Post added 06-09-2012 at 10:48 PM ----------

Thank you for posting this and reminding us of the actual attraction WDI pitched and P&R management thought they were getting. Compare these effortlessly spinning, "flying" vehicles to the paperweights we actually got. P&R management is truly upset (Rocket Rods all over again) and WDI is pointing fingers (again, Rocket Rods all over again).

But hey, throw some beach balls in there and maybe people won't notice the ride is a joke. Maybe we can hand out squirt guns on Little Mermaid and you can "interact" with the other guests in the other clamshells - wouldn't that be a hoot! At least it will distract you from looking at the static fish and emergency exit walkways - er, I mean being under the sea.
    I rode this last night. I was moving faster than Lassiter was. As was my wife. Also noticed others were going as fast as well. Sometimes it was just two kids moving quickly across, sometimes it was two larger adults.

What I noticed was if you leaned to far, you would bottom out one of the sides. We rode it once, my family of four, and noticed it start to bottom out. Just reduced the lean. When you are moving the way you can on this ride, it is better than Mater. A surprise hit for our family.

FYI not polite to call people spin masters like they are manipulating the truth. Yes, some people haven't figured out how to make these things move. But many others have, and are having loads of fun on them.

Lastly, not a fan of the beach balls, but my kids liked having them on the ride.

Do you think the bottoming out is aided by rider weight? Like 2 small kids will ride higher and therefor have the ability to lean more than a tire will 2 adults?

After my disappointment with the Flying Saucers as a kid, I expeceted this to also be a dud.
    However, I rode it four times and found it OK fun. As stated before, a good "C" ride.

The way they have the instructers on the outside is good. The instructur near the ride is not set up or managed well.

They can get up to speed, but you need a 15-20' run to get going. There are too many tires, the Beach Balls add a small amount, and thery have too many also. Most liked it, but it is not a thrill ride. If they took off 4-6 tires it would be a better ride but it would cut capacity too much.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUSHIE View Post
    Do you think the bottoming out is aided by rider weight? Like 2 small kids will ride higher and therefor have the ability to lean more than a tire will 2 adults?
    My daughter and I went about 275 on the ride, while my wife and other daughter about 210. The two boys were probably 175. If you have two heavier people on the ride, make sure you each are centered, then just lean slightly. You will pick up speed. You can feel if you are bottoming out on one side, so you just lean back the other direction just a bit. Only took about 10 seconds to get the hang of it. The key might be knowing that you are leaning too far and reducing that just a bit. It is a bit of a balancing act, but that makes it fun.

I bounced off all 4 sides, with extra time to goof off hitting other tires and chasing my wife. Big surprise for this ride. Sadly the ride line may keep us from riding this as much as we would like. But I'd wait 35 minutes for this over 35 minutes for the Rockets or Dumbo. This ride will find a niche of people that really like it, just like Dumbo has its niche.

It sounds like this may end up being a ride that may not be at the top of everyone's list as their "favorite", but will find enough fans among the AP crowd, and enough curious vacationer's that have to try it out... that it will have a packed line for months (and probably years...) to come. There may not need to be a major refurbishment... unless technical issues require it - but hopefully that's been ironed out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234