Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why doesn't Luigi's FT seem to work like the Lasseter video?

John Lasseter Tests Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure Park - YouTube

....and perhaps it does, but it is too difficult to pick up the first time around? The speed thing mystifies me too, because you can see from the video just how fast they can get going.

I just remember when this video came out, everyone was salivating at the opportunity to ride it - with many proclaiming that this may be the "sleeper" hit when it opened. And yet six months (and several problems) later, here it is - and all indications are that it is problematic and a disappointment. What gives?

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Why doesn't Luigi's FT seem to work like the Lasseter video?

Everytime they show the vehicles moving, the video has been speeded up. You can notice this first when he bumps into the side rail. And also it becomes more obvious later on with the couple in a tire because they accelerate the video without cutting. Watch the odd movement of the beachballs.

I hate to say it, in fact it pains me to say it, but Lasseter is full of horse-pucky when he exclaims about how fast it goes.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

I think there are a few reasons for the difference we see. First it could be vehicle design, while the vehicle looks close to the final product, it is still probably just a prototype. Another thing is that some of this video is clearly sped up to make it look like it is going much faster than it really is. The last a probably the most probable reason is that there is only one tire on the ride floor here making it much easier to gather the speeds achieved in this video. With that said I have heard people say that once you get the hang of it the ride can be a lot of fun... So we will have to see

• Banned User

That's unfortunate. I still have high hopes for this attraction, because it's such a tantalyzing concept: floating bumper cars! Let's hope either:
    a) it will turn out better than initially reported;
    b) they will iron out any bugs in the technology;
    or c) controlling the tires is a skill that can be acquired.

I'm still looking forward to riding it, though.

• Team Hail HYDRA

It looks like the tires are very heavy
    I would not be surprised if the take it out in a few years and make it apart of phase II for DCA

• Minion

I've been on this ride several times now. You have been sucked in to some tricky marketing lies by Disney and Imagineering if you believe that video. It's just Disney's corporate borg-blog mind control at work, wrapped in a big cheesy smile.

The video has been heavily edited, and any time a tire vehicle is in motion the video is sped up by about 50%. The riders in the video who gush and smile and giggle are either Imagineers who owe their careers to keeping Lasseter happy, or they are personal family members of Mr. Lasseter (and why would you not make Dad look good for the cameras, when Dad is standing right next to you?).

Also, this video is shown with only one or two vehicles on the floor. The ride operates with 24 (two dozen) vehicles in use at once, so no one has any chance of moving more than a few feet before slowly bumping into someone else and stopping all movement and momentum.

They added beach balls and loud music to the ride to try and take your mind off the fact the actual ride is a real dud. It isn't entertaining, it isn't thrilling, it tells no real story, and it is a giant waste of time.

On top of all that, it has one of the lowest hourly capacities in the Resort at barely 400 people per hour. That's several hundred less than Peter Pan or Dumbo, and the Luigi's line adds insult to injury by moving forward in small groups every 10 minutes or so.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

All they have to do is redesign the cars to be much lighter and smaller, then they should be able to get some decent speed out of it. I had an idea where they would add a concept similar to a pinball machine. If you hit the wall it slingshots you away. A wall of rubber could extend outward quickly with the help of large hydraulic pistons. They must also figure out how to fix that rotating lever on each vehicle so people can actually spin.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

^ better get his autograph soon befor he is working up at WDI

After having the opportunity to ride, I think the biggest problem is that there are just sooo many ride vehicle cluttering up the space that you never have enough room to get going. By the end of the ride I had a good grasp on it though, and it was entertaining. They really have some fine tuning to do on the loading process though, at this point they are handing out colored triangles to each party, then they walk around and collect them before starting the ride, which is VERY time consuming, it all seemed a little pointless, really. On top of that they walked around helping each party get a beach ball to throw once the ride began. If they could streamline this process a bit, it seems it would really help the hourly capacity, even if just by a bit

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    ^ better get his autograph soon befor he is working up at WDI
    Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about applying there.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Do it

THe less tires on the table the faster it goes. I had the opportunity to ride it with just two other people, and like Westsider said, the if there is nothing in your way, the faster you go, which actually makes the ride a lot more fun.

Maybe it'll be an off season hit?

Yes, I thought perhaps the # of ride vehicles (tires) would affect things such as speed and fun factor. Still - is the sensation of floating cool? Is there a reaction from the riders as their tires are lifted up off the ground? (and is it a noticeable effect?)

every word out of cars land has panned this ride badly... 400 riders per hour is awful :-o like take away the ride itself (which has gotten neg reviews), but how did wdi even let this past the drawing board when they did their initial calculations?

• Banned User

Maybe they can solve most of these issues by reducing the number of tires a bit? That would reduce capacity even more, but if they streamline the loading, that should compensate. They could also shorten the ride just a little to compensate for low capacity. Better a fun, short ride than a dud that lasts longer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast