View Poll Results: Rate this attraction AND indicate the maximum time you would be willing to wait

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Question 1: I rate this attraction ***** stars (Top Rating)

10 8.70%
  • Question 1: I rate this attraction **** stars (Good)

40 34.78%
  • Question 1: I rate this attraction *** stars (Neutral)

25 21.74%
  • Question 1: I rate this attraction ** stars (Didn't Like)

20 17.39%
  • Question 1: I rate this attraction * star (Lowest Rating)

17 14.78%
  • Question 2: I would be willing to wait 0 - 15 minutes

46 40.00%
  • Question 2: I would be willing to wait 15 - 30 minues

31 26.96%
  • Question 2: I would be willing to wait 30 - 45 minutes

16 13.91%
  • Question 2: I would be willing to wait 45 - 60 minutes

10 8.70%
  • Question 2: I would be willing to wait over 60 minutes

4 3.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Cars Land: Luigi's Flying Tires — Information, photos and more

The New Disney California Adventure > Cars Land > Luigi's Flying Tires

Luigi's Flying Tires has been billed as the return of Disneyland's legendary (but short lived) Flying Saucers attraction in Tomorrowland. Below, you'll find general information about this brand new attraction and encourage you to check back throughout the week and we bring you updated reviews and photos. We invite you to vote in the poll above as well as leave your photos, thoughts and reviews in the comments below.

Attraction description:
    Float on a cushion of air aboard a larger-than-life tire, thanks to Luigi. Slide, glide and laugh as you lift ever-so-slightly off the ground on a 9-foot-wide Fettuccini-brand tire.

Attraction Stats
    Attraction storyline: At Luigi’s Casa Della Tires, Luigi and Guido play host to a "Festival of the Flying Tires."When the music starts, tires float and dance in the grand tradition of a celebration that first started in Luigi’s hometown of Carsoli, Italy. The tradition of the Festival of the Flying Tires dates back to the 1930s, when Luigi's Uncle Topolino ordered a shipment of the Fettuccini Tire Company's new Cuscino D' Aria tires. To the amazement of the residents of Topolino's small Italian village, when the tires were unloaded they began to mysteriously float off the ground and gracefully move around as if they were dancing. To celebrate this miraculous event, the villagers put up festive banners, balloons and bunting. With the addition of some traditional Italian music, the Festival of the Flying Tires was born! Luigi and Guido wanted to share this happy memory, so they ordered a shipment of Cuscino D' Aria tires for Radiator Springs, and, just like in Italy, the tires mysteriously rose off the ground and began to dance.

Ride Duration: Approximately 1 minute, 30 seconds

Minimum Height Requirement:
    32 inches

Disney's FASTPASS:
    Not available

Ride System: All-new, state-of-the-art ride system inspired by Disneyland's classic Flying Saucers attraction that operated 1961-1966. The attraction utilizes 6,714 air vents that blow over 1.86 million cubic feet of air per minute to keep your tire floating approximately 2 inches off the ground.

Ride Vehicles: Each 9-foot wide tire can accommodate 2 adults and 1 child or 1 adult and 2 children

Attraction size: 8,000 square-foot Italian garden and tire storage yard.

Tip: Attraction is suffering from some design problems which can make it frustrating to operate. Many may wish to ride this attraction only if there is no wait.

Photos:
    Click thumbnails for larger view. Photos may contain spoilers. Photos © Disney.

For more Cars Land coverage including photos, video and reviews be sure to check out the following front page columns throughout the week for update information and photos.
    |
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 06-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Re: Cars Land: Luigi's Flying Tires — Information, photos and more

I would rate Luigi`s good only becauise I appreciate the quality and effort that went into it, but it goes to slow because the tires are too big. I can see Disneys lawyers surrounding each tire. Theres about 3 feet from your seat to the outside edge so that even if you lean way out you can`t touch other people that lean way out in other tires.That big safety zone makes the tires too big and heavy. They should make them half that size, half the weight and figure some other restraint like roll bar cages, like on midget racers with 5 point seat belt restaints,, of course then you`d have to wear helmets.

• Miss Marvel

I know the internet buzz is that this isn't a good attraction, but when I rode it, I had a great time. I had no problem operating the tire, the beach balls made me laugh my butt off, and the music is fun.

I had a great time. As long as the line is under 30 minutes, I would ride again.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Oh boy. Where to start?

This isn't a terrible attraction (for those who know how to operate it). However, it has many problems, including some MAJOR safety issues.

Any ride that requires a cast member give you a two minute lecture on how to make the vehicle move has a problem. A certain portion of people just won't understand, or can't comprehend what is going on.

A number of vehicles also become stuck in the corners and then you just can't move. Several folks leave on every cycle after not really getting to do anything. Lesson, try to stay in the center of the field.

The queue: yuck! You'll be stuck in this slowly moving queue forever. This has got to be the slowest loading ride in the resort. A painful wait. Don't even think about getting in line for this lame attraction unless it has a VERY short wait.

The safety issues. Before we even got on the attraction, I noticed a cast member safety issue that really upset me. I can't believe that OSHA and the cast union allowed this. But cast members physically need to step onto the attraction floor while the vehicles are still moving in order to push vehicles with disabled guests into a special loading bay. I got a sick feeling in my stomach watching castmembers pushing vehicles and dodging other vehicles at the same time. OSHA shut down Alice for less than this!

The other safety issue is the fabric bumper around the ride vehicle. For all the world, it looks like a hard rubber tire. But it isn't. If you step on it to get in or out, it will collapse, and you'll likely trip. This is a serious design flaw. It is only a matter of time before a guest trips and falls (and perhaps breaks a hip or something).

This attraction, whether you think it is fun or not, should not be open to guests in my opinion. Disney seriously needs to close this attraction and reengineer it before someone gets hurt.

That having been said, I'm sure that some of you will still find a way to love this attraction. As I said at the outset, this isn't a horrible attraction, but it is one of the weakest in the resort and likely not safe for cast or guests as it is currently operated.

Here's my video:

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Wow Dusty, harsh!

But I hear you! Actually I think you were moving pretty fast there, but no I dont think I want to stand in a 2 hour line for that either.

• Senior Minion

Rx = much smaller and lighter vehicles, way more of them, and a much larger arena with no corners to get stuck in.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Sounds like the Rocket Rods of California Adventure. Too bad. I'll be sure to ride it as soon as possible as its only a matter of time before its closed for an "extended refurbishment."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    Sounds like the Rocket Rods of California Adventure. Too bad. I'll be sure to ride it as soon as possible as its only a matter of time before its closed for an "extended refurbishment."
    Yep I'm thinking the same as well now! In fact I remember doing RR only once and when I came back, they were already shut down. Same for Super Star Limo!

But I DO see them trying their best to get it going. I dont think they will give up on it so soon and it could be a few years before they figure out a replacement if it just doesnt catch on.

The funny thing is looking at the ride vehicles, they couldve done something completely different with the whole thing and gone the way of the GPS technology thats employed in Tokyo with Poohs Hunny Hunt and Aquatopia. They have perfected that technology! And you couldve been in the same vehicle as a dark ride of some kind without a track. Granted it probably wouldve cost waaay more for that for what they done here, but way more effective and popular. What they have here just seems like something you do once and then you dont do it again unless its a 15 min wait or something.

That's a good idea actually... I bet they could pull of controlled GPS technology.

•   
    • Minion

Man I was looking forward to this one hopefully I will find enjoyment out of it. I will make sure to get on it once just to say I did it before it gos away lol

I had a chance to be one of the last few folks to ride this during the AP previews on 6/9 during the 8am-12noon slot. We originally stood in line for a few minutes when they said it was about a 50 minute wait. At that point we were in the tire showroom of Luigi's. Decided was not worth the 50 minutes so moved on to something else.

We then came back to it closer to the 12 noon cutoff and the CM told us 20 to 30 minutes. When we walked in, we made it all the way past Luigi's office and to the outside queue area. The themeing of the indoor and outdoor queue areas were superb. I will let you guys see all these details in person.

We were able to jump on the ride after two cycles of the ride, so about 10 minute wait. The ride itself was about 2 to 3 minutes. We really got the hang of it the first time. Work as a group and lean towards the direction you want to go. Do not lean too much as your tire edge will hit the ground and it will top your momentum. We found ourselves crashing a number of times very fast against the side perimeter of the attraction. Great feeling!

Overall, after reading mostly negative comments about this ride, I didn't expect much from it. I was pleasantly surprised. Great ride. As most have said, not worth more than 30 to 45 minute wait. 10 to 15 would be ideal.

I have photos but do think that it does deserve you looking at it in person. (PM me if you want a link to my photos nonetheless )

Thanks!

->arthur

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Here are the CM's pushing a guests tire out from the disabled loading area out onto the main floor.

After a pretty bland queue inside the tire shop (what do you want? It's a tire shop) guests exit out the back of the building into a pretty nice Italian inspired garden. There are olive trees, planters, and topiary in the shape of race cars and tires.

A cast member teaches the next batch of guests how to navigate while on the ride.

Signs along the outdoor queue again emphasize the ride technique.

And in summary...

Now you can line up and wait to get onto a tire.

But whatever you do, DONT step on the tire while boarding

The tires float around on a very thin sheet of compressed air.

The beach balls certainly add to the otherwise dull attraction.

Yeah, DON'T step on the tires while boarding or disembarking. They don't support weight.

I personally didn't HATE the ride like Dusty did. They are fun to ride once you get the hang of it. But My GOD that line is slow. Like really slow. Worse than teacups or dumbo slow. Don't what more than a few ride cycles for this.

Iger and Staggs enjoying a bounce around the dance floor.

Last edited by Fishbulb; 06-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. ”
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Banned User

Wow thats quite a few beach balls there!

Yeah, I'm just not feeling it based on the reviews so far! Even IF the ride itself is fun, the line just sounds like a pain. And yeah lots of instructions there for a 2 min ride.

• ...TWO BITS!

Ride duration time is incorrect.

The OP's "Attraction Tip" is hardly a tip at all. An attraction tip would be more like "Lean into the direction you want to travel".

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast