Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Cars Land Dining Information, photos and more

I had the citrus turkey yesterday at Flo's. It was quite flavorful and even came with a side of cranberry sauce, which I thought was a great touch. The baked beans were incredible, and you have to try them! I believe they are made with coca-cola? Haha sounds odd, but they tasted really good.

We waited in line at the cones for about half an hour to get one of those adorable traffic cone cups that everyone was carrying around. So, I had a lot of time to soak in the little cone details. Loved the Buzz! The trees between the cones bare nectar-producing cone-shaped orange flowers that attract hummingbirds. It's so nice to see hummingbirds flying around Also, the wallpaper inside the cones is also covered with cones.

Oh yes, the souvenir cone sippers only come with soft drinks. The specialty drinks, such as foamy pomegranate lime-aid, have to be purchased separately. In case you can't see it in the picture, the souvenir cones were 8.99 for a smaller cone with a 16 oz. capacity, and 11.99 for a larger cone with a 32 oz. capacity.

Today in Carsland, we tried:
    Red's Apple Freeze- Cozy Cone
    5 stars for this frosty drink. This may surpass dole whip as my favorite treat. For some reason, this cone, which also had the pretzel bites, had no line, while all the rest were stacked up.

Veggie Tater Bake with roll and pasta salad- Flo's
    4 stars. For a veggie entree, this was delicious, though very tiny. The pasta salad was so-so and the ROLLS were amazing!
    Apple-Cheddar Pie- Flo's
    4 stars. Loved the struesel on top and the addition of cheddar, but the crust, while flaky, didn't have much flavor.

We also had the mint sundae at Ghiradellis- it was fantastic. I'm super impressed with the new offerings, and I can't wait to try the hand-dipped bars at Clarabelle's next time!

Red's Apple Freeze was really good!! Nice cidar-y flavor and the foam on top amazing. Will be getting that again for sure. And yes, this cone had no line like the others. Roast Pork at Flo's was delicious!!! And I thought a good deal for a complete meal. Service at Flo's was great when we were there. Very organized. Single scoop coffee ice cream with DARK hot fudge and whipped cream at Ghiradelli's was yummy. Had a fantastic day today!
    Greetings from Disneyland California!

New restaurants summary:

They will all be popular in the short-term, as guests (and especially AP's) try the new-ness.

After that:

Flo's food is too heavy, will not be popular. They'll need to revamp this menu, burgers/fries would be perfect here, would fit the ambiance perfectly. Most of the food will be perceived as "too weird".

Cozy Cones: Some of the food is fantastic (Chile "Cone" Carne, Chicken Verde Queso) but the ODV-nature of the location will be a huge challenge. 1+ hour waits for food during peak hours, for a while. If you're into 1-hour waits for popcorn with spicy seasoning sprinkled over it, you'll love this.

Fiddler / Fifer / Practical: Think Jolly Holiday + Starbucks. Potentially the most popular restaurant in DCA. Grand Slam / Slam Dunk.

Carthay: Stunning / gorgeous ambiance with mediocre food. Seriously: folks who appreciate fine dining will be underwhelmed, others will have sticker-shock and complain about the price. The ambiance will be the selling point here; the food will be a universal thumbs down. Will be shocked if anyone, a year from now, talks about the food here in a positive way (after the initial opening buzz has diminished). Worst lamb I've ever had, veal (sampled from a friend) was not any better. This is not Napa Rose by any stretch of the imagination... and the service needs some serious work too.

...First impressions.

The problem: Imagineers "won". No one listened to TDA, which looks at the numbers... i.e. empirical data of what guests actually purchase (what the guests actually want/demand, therefore what Disney should supply). Attractions, yes Imagineers should be given huge latitude to indulge their vision. Food & Beverage: ancillary, and the number-crunchers might actually have some insight. No, that does not mean fill the park up with churro carts. Yes, it does mean maybe a huge steak-house in the middle of the park is probably not going to be successful.

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness commentary; like I said: first impressions. :-)

• Banned User

^^Wow harsh, but honest!

Havent been yet so cant make any real comments, but I will say Flos is a bit odd to me. Yes, I get the food is based off of Rt 66 specialty, but when people think diner, especially diners in California, they do think the burgers and fries variety. I give them credit for trying something different and mixing it up, but it is crazy you can find a burger at CCT but not at any of the diners? We'll see how long the new menu lasts I guess.

I LOVE the Cozy Cone concept and they have done a great job of making the cones different and unique but I dont see how long that can last if you are forced to wait in different lines for different things. I mean even the beverages are different at each of the cones. At least make it where you can buy the same drinks in all of them. I think the first summer espcially, the lines will be brutal so maybe have some more common items in all of the cones if possible.

CCT, if the food is not that great, REALLY dissappointing for the price you are paying. I will be going twice this summer, I know that at least. I will see whats it like this Friday but if it is what you say and not that great will be cancelling the second reservation probably.

Practical Cafe sounded like a winner already being placed in such a great spot and just delivering good sandwhiches and I hear (havent seen) the inside is great! Sounds like a place people will go just to buy something and sit all day. Now that its offering SB, its an instant winner!

I really enjoyed Flo's and if they keep the menu they have now I would consider it my favorite non-table service restaurant in either park. DCA needs a place that offers a heavier meal similar to DL's Plaza Inn. The menu is classic American comfort food. The weirdest thing on the menu is probably Mater's Ice Tea; nothing really seems exotic to me. My only complaint is that the lighting in the waiting area and cash register area is really annoying. If you are prone to seizures you should avoid it.

The Cones, on the other hand, were a horrible idea. I really don't see what they can do to salvage it in its current state. The only thing I can think of is maybe sell the items from the Cones at ODV carts around the park and dilute the demand for them.

• 1 of 5DQ

While we loved the visual aspect of Cozy Cone, the execution of the food service was dreadful and ill conceived. Each cone has specialty items so if you want more than one food item you will probably have to stand in more than one line just to get your snacks!

When we wanted the souvenir cone cups we were told that we could only get them with the fountain drinks and not with the lemonade.

The service in the one cone we went was horribly slow so it's something that we'll probably never do again unless there are changed to how the operation is run.

I'd be happy for something eclectic like Flo's has, but I can see how that wouldn't be popular to park guests in general. But could they at least keep around the unique Route 66-type food and just add some simpler "burgers and fries" options to the menu for people who want them?

The lines for the Cozy Cones don't surprise me - it's an awesome idea and I hope it stays. Hopefully the food service improves, as does the food at the CCT, if it really is that mediocre.

And the FF&P Cafe sounds amazing - by the way, is any one else a little surprised they put the old Starbucks logo on the cafe? It makes sense with the theming, but the reason the design of the logo has changed over the years is because it's considered too "suggestive," with the mermaid being bare-chested and her tail being spread apart. I'm not reacting negatively to it and saying it should be taken away; I like that TDA decided to go for it and put the old logo on there. But I am a little worried that there will be complaints and that the logo will be quickly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mylothelostboy View Post
    I'd be happy for something eclectic like Flo's has, but I can see how that wouldn't be popular to park guests in general. But could they at least keep around the unique Route 66-type food and just add some simpler "burgers and fries" options to the menu for people who want them?
    The menu isn't really eclectic. It's pretty standard American comfort food. The main dinner entrees are carved turkey, NY Strip, pork loin, and a veggie casserole. There is a big rotisserie roaster that cooks all the meats and it is delicious. I don't think they could add burgers and fries since the kitchen probably doesn't have the equipment to make those. They do have sandwiches on the kids meal. Basically kids can have the carved turkey or NY Strip as a turkey or roast beef sandwich. I wouldn't mind if they made an adult sized version of those for lunch.

To each his own....we loved the food at Flo's. It is exactly the different type of food we're looking for when we're out at the resort, I don't want another sandwich I could get at Togos or Subway or another burger I could get anyplace. It's all part of the experience.

• Please pull the yellowtab

I really like the concept of the Cozy Cones. I think it helps to think of this dining area as a fixed ODV station. I'm faced with a similar dilemma of standing in separate lines to purchase a specific food item when someone in my party wants churros, but I have a craving for corn dogs. At least at the Cozy Cones, the different lines for unique snacks are concentrated into one specific dining area and you don't have to walk very far.

My favorite is Cone #5, the cone closest to Curios and LFT, which features two different popcorn flavors every day. I just wish that on any given day cone #5 would have the 3rd option of selling regular popcorn. However, I did notice CMs walking around (stadium-style) who carried boxes of plain butter popcorn which solved this problem. My favorite flavor is the dill pickle flavored popcorn. YUM!

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Fireworks Finatic!

I just hope all these unique foods stay for many many years and they don't decide to go to generic theme park food to save money down the road. I still miss the criss-cut fries at Taste Pilots..

FF&P cafe takes way too long if you just want Starbucks. My friend use to work for Starbucks and the company has a two minute turn around time on drinks we waited 30 minutes. I didn't like the chocolate sauce that comes with the churros but flo's was yummy.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I don't know why everyone is saying Flo's sounds gross.. We didn't eat there while there, but I think the menu sounds good actually. It's different than the usual and I am verrry excited to try strawberry-rhubarb pie as I have never had rhubarb, but my mom grew up in the midwest and frequently ate rhubarb.

I tried the dill pickle popcorn at the cones. Wow, that was yummy!!! Pretty much everything else at the cone sound good too!
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I was lucky enough to have breakfast, lunch and dinner at Flo's. We loved it. beef, pork and turkey are all good. We also tried all of the sides and desserts. Mostly all winners. We'll be regulars for sure. Even if the line is long, it moves quickly. Great staff!

Wasn't willing to wait over 15 minutes to try the Cozy Cone food. Lines were moving the slowest ive ever seen. Though we were able to try the Popcone. It's fine, but not special. It's just flavor powder they sprinkle on. Meh. Looking forward to trying the other cones.

The Pig Cafe on Buena Vista Street was great. Our service was fast and the food good. Here's a tip:
    They accept Starbucks cards including the rewards cards. You'll earn points on your gold card, but you won't get the free perks (like free soy and flavors).

Starbucks really had to negotiate with Disney on this point, and I'm really glad that both sides were able to come to an agreement.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast