Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

You need to do a monday column then.

"As the Dust Settles", a series in the fallout of the Disney Pixar merger by Dusty Sage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    It is always a risk to talk about Disney rumors. The company changes ideas as designers and Managers move up and down their ladders of influence. However, here are some very interesting ideas that looked promising prior to the PIXAR buyout. Anything is on the table now. Expect a new Disney/PIXAR ride to have a larger budget as well.

- The parking lot behind Tower of Terror will soon close to make expansion room for a new PIXAR E Ticket attraction. Since the closing of this lot makes the Lion King loading area obsolete, room is now available for a Rock 'N Rollercoaster near Hollywood and Dine.
    - The Park will likely be re-themed (including name, perhaps something to do with Disney's America). It seems very likely that the park will eventually lose its letters. Although, I'm interested to see if the PIXAR folks might not want to make this a Disney Pixar Studios park.
    - The Esplanade is likely to get a fountain in place of the compass between the two parks as well as gardens and trees.
    - Much debate is going out about Paridise Pier. Most of the rides on the Route 66 side of PP are removable and easily sold. The removal phase could be completed quickly if so decided upon.

That's all I know for now. But from the folks that have sent info and have popped into meets to say hi, I hear that almost nothing is off the table. There is a huge commitment to make this park a critical and financial success.

-Dusty
    Dusty, do you know any more info about the Lion King tram loading area? it makes perfect sense to reclaim this for part of the park, now that you mention it, but I hadn't heard about this before, and looking at a map of the park, if they closed this area off, it looks like it would also allow for an expansion of the Hyperion Theater to include a lobby like was originally planned, which would in turn allow for full-scale Broadway level plays to be put on in the theater at night, in addition to hosting another show during operating hours of the park, open to the general public of course.

This alone would be awsome, let alone all of the other things you mention! I can't wait to see how the plans are going to develop now that the Pixar team is offically a part of Disney!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I've been thinking the entire gate structure needs to come forward so that the entry plaza can be expanded to have larger berms that block the line of sight to the surrounding buildings.
    except that will make an already line crazy esplanade even more packed.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised if switchbacks or some ropes went in to the esplanade.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    except that will make an already line crazy esplanade even more packed.
    But if they moved it out further, there would be room for more gates.

• Animatronic

Wait a minute, where would this 3rd gate connect if not in the current Lion King tram loading area?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    But if they moved it out further, there would be room for more gates.
    sure, but would they have all gates open? They don't now.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Dusty it's Tuesday still no news from you or Al, although J.H. has some interesting things to say on his site...

well to answer someone question.

"When" not "if" the third gate is built, the idea of a third gate as put on hold but not killed
    there will not be tram connections between parks. To much of a liability with so much traffic in the area.

The third gate will be connected via a redesigned peoplemover. The loading area would be in an elavated platform. A peoplemover would be less costly than a monorail and could transport more people per hour for the short distance.

I also see the possibility of eventually Disney making an exchange of property so that the third gate could be built closer to the first two gates with the possibility of a couple of the motels on Harbor removed to create a pedestrain friendly walkway which could also eliminate the need for a peoplemover.

Also interesting that Dusty did not mention (if things do not change drastically) that there is two attractions in in the design stage for DCA.
    One attraction which was pushed forward "Incredibles" to be open around 2009 but might end up changing back to being a cars attraction.
    The incredibles attraction would only take up a small space in the timon lot with most of it built within park boundaries. The Cars attraction would be built behind TOT and would open up a pedestrain loop from HPB to the Warf area creating a whole new land with more attraction, shop and restuarant pads for future expansion.

The second attraction in design stages which has been getting pushed would start construction early next year and open late 2007 early 2008. This atraction would open up in Paradise Pier.

With John involved we will soon see what will happen and what will change regarding this attraction or even if it gets of the design stage.

Regarding the name change, that has been debated but the last word was that it would not but in the last several weeks the removal of the bridge has gone from removing it to re-imagineering it to leaving it and adding more theming. The sun icon is being removed but with things changing who knows what will happen. The push is for its removal though. The re-location of Golden Dreams is another hot debate. When the idea first came out, it was dismissed just as fast but then it was ressurected again quite recently since there are idea of what that whole route 66 area could be changed to. This area will most likely be the last to be touched since it is the one that will need the most work.
    Last edited by Baloo; 01-31-2006 at 08:51 PM.

• șoș Tom șoș

This map was made up 6 months ago, but to be honest I don't see a drastic change in this plan despite new and recent changes in ement domain laws.

In regards to the absorbtion of other land in the area the yellow areas represent the only feasable land sales that would benifit a 3rd gate. The Lion King tram area would be a good area for a monorail/people mover style connection to the third gate. I could also forsee a land bridge goind diagonally over the interesection of Harbor and Katellia from the the current 7/11 location to the yellow are occupied by a hotel at present.

Not the red residental area that borders the south end, I think it will be vital for Disney to also persue purchasing this land, if only for future expansion and possible secondary parking and such.

• șoș Tom șoș

Before I tampered with it.

• Circle of Ancients

The only thing that concerns me about the 3rd gate site is that it's right up against a residential area. They have enough problems with the neighbors already.

So what I'm seeing from that is they are going to attempt to buy the (what is it, east) end of Harbor Blvd and demolish the hotels there? (Carousel, Park View, etc, etc, etc). My thoughts are if that does happen it would be better to put park #3 there and use the current 3rd park site for addtl hotels, shopping, parking, etc.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    The only thing that concerns me about the 3rd gate site is that it's right up against a residential area. They have enough problems with the neighbors already.
    It would be less of a problem if it was an indoor water park.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot

So what I'm seeing from that is they are going to attempt to buy the (what is it, east) end of Harbor Blvd and demolish the hotels there? (Carousel, Park View, etc, etc, etc). My thoughts are if that does happen it would be better to put park #3 there and use the current 3rd park site for addtl hotels, shopping, parking, etc.
    I think they will buy thos residential units along the southern border of the strawberry fields- that area is a slew of apartments, privatly owned not homes so the mass purchase of the land will be easy but expensive.

I DO NOT forsee the purchase of all those hotels who are moderaterly succesfful. In order to use the powers of emement domain to gather that land Disney would need to prove that they can generate more tax revenue from the park than the hotels. Hotel taxes being what they are, the relative size of the hotels and recent renovations partially paid for by Disney and the City of Anaheim,- it leads me to believe this is not something that will be persued- the overall cost of relocating those hotels to the 3rd site would be more expensive, time consuming than a transportation plan to connect the 3rd gate at its current site.

There are a couple corrections on the map that is colored in.

The large yellow area designated as comercial zone (eastern side of the third gate property) is actually residential. It is one of the very few low cost housing in anaheim. It is not a comercial zone at the moment.

The upper north east corner is not part of the katella parking lot. There are two small motels in that corner with an acces gate and driveway south of them.

The south western corner area colored in within the residential area is a comercial zone. There used to be a doll shop there and was torn down. It is now a fastfood place. That land is actually leased and owned by Disney.

A long strip of land highlighted iwthin the propsed third gate land in the north west corner of the property is actually not Disney's. It is owned by the hotel operating next to it.

the most logical thing for Disney to do is to take control of the corner you marked old hotel in the north west corner of the property. this would give the park two sides with direct access to Harbor and katella. Not only that but the entrance to the park could then be built in that same corner with pedestrain access directly over Harbor and Katella into a second enytrance to DCA or a transport hub for a people mover to the main esplanade. To convince the city to use emenent domain, on those motels they could easily built one of the proposed hotels in that corner with access to the main gate via archways (similiar to what was done in Paris Disneylands entrance). I am sure that a luxury hotel with a couple hundred or more rooms coule easily be an encentive for the cities conventioneers compared to the rundown motels left in that corner one of which has already been shuttered.

The peoplemover would travel east to the proposed parking structure then head straight south adjacent to garden walk and street directly into the entrance of the katella parking lot. This would then be the main esplanade for the park with a hotel on the property east of the entrance.

The third gate and hotel would then take up the area highlighted in orange and blue. With several feet of access road adjecent to the housing development for to help with noise polution. Large walls and landscaping would have also been placed in that area
    Last edited by Baloo; 02-01-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast