Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

I hate that the Alpine Motel, Candy Cane Inn, Desert Palms and that 7-11 are still around. These properties could be bought by Disney and used for DCA expansion. I've always wondered why Disney never took control of these properties back in the late 1990s.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• The Candidate

If they had been able to, I'm sure that they would have.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks

Before I tampered with it.
    FYI:
    The two buildings that are above site 1 (parking lot) are both operated by Government agencies. I know this because I am in the smaller of the two buildings now! LOL

"This guy!"

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo
    There are a couple corrections on the map that is colored in.

The large yellow area designated as comercial zone (eastern side of the third gate property) is actually residential. It is one of the very few low cost housing in anaheim. It is not a comercial zone at the moment.
    Umm I can't see the full graphic only a thumbnail version because I am operating at my work computer but I believe the area you are referring to is a mix zone, which includes greenhouses and flower fields, I was aware of the low incoming houseing but I believe more of the area and the are I specfically highlighted is more commercial, the residential area you refeer to is further east.

The south western corner area colored in within the residential area is a comercial zone. There used to be a doll shop there and was torn down. It is now a fastfood place. That land is actually leased and owned by Disney.
    I put this together 6 months in under 30 minutes again I lumped it in because the biggest hurtle was residential area, not the tiny fastfood place or Denny's.

A long strip of land highlighted iwthin the propsed third gate land in the north west corner of the property is actually not Disney's. It is owned by the hotel operating next to it.
    Again I rushed through it but I would guess that this would get swallowed up in the land deal to make the third gate

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

I dunno. Gate 3 seems so unrealistic now, after 4 years of DCA limping along.

I almost feel sorry for the park, I feel like taking DCA out back behind ToonTown, old Yeller style, and putting it out of its misery.

On the other hand, I love the Grizzly River Run theming (even if I'll only ride it on a hot day) and I like Screamin', Soarin', the Bugs Life movie and even Golden Dreams once in a while. Tower Of Terror is a lot of fun, too and I have yet to check out the Monsters Inc. ride. But I skip the rest of the park, there's nothing left I want to see or would miss if they pulled it out and replaced it with something new. Not something that I can say about Disneyland, where every corner of the park seems special, unique, a little bit magical.

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I dunno. Gate 3 seems so unrealistic now, after 4 years of DCA limping along.
    Yeah, limping along as one of the top ten most visited parks in the U.S. What is there one non-Disney park above it on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Umm I can't see the full graphic only a thumbnail version because I am operating at my work computer but I believe the area you are referring to is a mix zone, which includes greenhouses and flower fields, I was aware of the low incoming houseing but I believe more of the area and the are I specfically highlighted is more commercial, the residential area you refeer to is further east.

I understand that some of the highlights were just reference points but the area east of the third gate and south of the access driveway into the katella parking lot is residential. It is mostly one level apartment buildings. Basically each building has to small houses which share a wall inbetwen them. to access the buildings you enter small alley like streets. They also share large grass and landscaping fields as yards.

It would be easy to take this land over as long as they found a relocation site. Anaheim receives federal aid as long as they have low income housing. I am sure that it would also become a big story on the news if people were just thrown out with no relocation.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Anyways back to SUNSHINE PLAZA people...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

OK Dusty these are the two most interesting tidbits....

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    ...However, here are some very interesting ideas that looked promising prior to the PIXAR buyout. Anything is on the table now...

- The parking lot behind Tower of Terror will soon close to make expansion room for a new PIXAR E Ticket attraction. Since the closing of this lot makes the Lion King loading area obsolete, room is now available for a Rock 'N Rollercoaster near Hollywood and Dine.

- Much debate is going out about Paridise Pier. Most of the rides on the Route 66 side of PP are removable and easily sold. The removal phase could be completed quickly if so decided upon...
    Please let us know if you get any more information on these.

Can't wait for new e-ticket rides@dca

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Heinz Ward ,What are you gonna do next?

I'm going to CaliforniaAdventure, baby, and I'm takin' the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Actually the mosaic mountains and the Golden Gate Bridge are not that bad, there just needs to be some fountain and lush landscaping in the entry plaza to make it more inviting.
    I actually kind of like the mosaics, but wish they weren't broken up they way they are, but rather a giant mural in the entrance ground, I;m sure it sounds like a maintenece nightmare, but it would be more inviting with the colors on the ground. If they do keep them, they need to brighten them up, with the plants, and some cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    It is always a risk to talk about Disney rumors. The company changes ideas as designers and Managers move up and down their ladders of influence. However, here are some very interesting ideas that looked promising prior to the PIXAR buyout. Anything is on the table now. Expect a new Disney/PIXAR ride to have a larger budget as well.

- The parking lot behind Tower of Terror will soon close to make expansion room for a new PIXAR E Ticket attraction. Since the closing of this lot makes the Lion King loading area obsolete, room is now available for a Rock 'N Rollercoaster near Hollywood and Dine.
    - The Park will likely be re-themed (including name, perhaps something to do with Disney's America). It seems very likely that the park will eventually lose its letters. Although, I'm interested to see if the PIXAR folks might not want to make this a Disney Pixar Studios park.
    - The Esplanade is likely to get a fountain in place of the compass between the two parks as well as gardens and trees.
    - Much debate is going out about Paridise Pier. Most of the rides on the Route 66 side of PP are removable and easily sold. The removal phase could be completed quickly if so decided upon.

That's all I know for now. But from the folks that have sent info and have popped into meets to say hi, I hear that almost nothing is off the table. There is a huge commitment to make this park a critical and financial success.

-Dusty

I think that if they do keep California, and use the Lion King Parking lot, they shouldn't just add to Paradise Pier & HPB, but mix it up with California, have a big city 50s/60s theme (i.e. The Incredibles can go there) and another land continuing the proposed Spanish style, just not more of the same.

As for the America thing, they can make letters of AMERICA, in red, white, and blue....just keep the A's, an I, an R, a C..

The Esplanade should have a fountain almost like the one in Hong Kong, but representing the worldwide parks of Disney.

I hope that Paradise Pier gets rid of the Route 66 carnie rides. I don't particularly care for Mullholland Madness, although the Zephyr is cool looking...

and if Golden Dreams is moved to Sunshine Plaza, they should remake it. It is so campy and I don't really approve of making Whoopi Goldberg the ambassador of California. I think that it could be much more inspiring without Queen Calia or whatever changing every scene...narrating is fine, but it runs too long.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    I actually kind of like the mosaics, but wish they weren't broken up they way they are, but rather a giant mural in the entrance ground, I;m sure it sounds like a maintenece nightmare, but it would be more inviting with the colors on the ground. If they do keep them, they need to brighten them up, with the plants, and some cleaning.

I think that if they do keep California, and use the Lion King Parking lot, they shouldn't just add to Paradise Pier & HPB, but mix it up with California, have a big city 50s/60s theme (i.e. The Incredibles can go there) and another land continuing the proposed Spanish style, just not more of the same.

As for the America thing, they can make letters of AMERICA, in red, white, and blue....just keep the A's, an I, an R, a C..

The Esplanade should have a fountain almost like the one in Hong Kong, but representing the worldwide parks of Disney.

I hope that Paradise Pier gets rid of the Route 66 carnie rides. I don't particularly care for Mullholland Madness, although the Zephyr is cool looking...

and if Golden Dreams is moved to Sunshine Plaza, they should remake it. It is so campy and I don't really approve of making Whoopi Goldberg the ambassador of California. I think that it could be much more inspiring without Queen Calia or whatever changing every scene...narrating is fine, but it runs too long.

I think that the Queen Califia idea was good, but just too obscure. I'm taking a California History class and we just recently went over how California got its name. When California was discovered by the Spanish, it was believed to be an island and was percieved as the land of Califia, an Amazon queen who, with her Amazon women, lived in the most wonderful place in the world, but would essentially eat you for breakfast. Of course, theres more to the mythology than I can remember or care to know, and I'm too lazy to bust out my book to get the details for you. And I hardly think you care anyways. My friend who lurks on these boards (and is taking the class with me) might be able to spread some insight or clear up any possible mistakes I typed if she reads this....

But anyway, what American, let alone Californian knows of the legend of Calafia and would make the connection with that little tidbit in history?

Anyways, I really should go see Golden Dreams again. I havent seen it since the park opened. Last time I was at DCA it wasn't even open.

I really am against the idea of changing the park to "Disney's America" ...an American history and heritage park really has no place in California and although I think it would be a bad idea in the historical place it was originally intended to be, I think if it goes anywhere, it should be there or somewhere similar. When I hear "American History" I don't really think "Southern California"
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 02-06-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Isn't the remodeling of the entrance supposed to begin this month? And we don't know what exactly it's going to turn out like yet?

Could it be that a SECRET WAS ACTUALLY KEPT FROM US FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!?????????

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really though, what's the deal.

P.S.- Am I alone in thinking that DCA won't be getting a name change or major theme change for that matter?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think the PIXAR merger means nothing is gonna happen that isn't alreay in motion, until everybody Steve Jobs, Iger, Lassiter, Ouimet et al are on the same page... And then it's going to be something dramatic.

Tomorrow is Tuesday, will we have an Al Lutz update?