Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Wink Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Yeah, limping along as one of the top ten most visited parks in the U.S. What is there one non-Disney park above it on the list?
    Yeah I'll bet you ten bucks DCA is a totally different place by it's tenth anniversary in 2011.

• Banned User

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Yeah I'll bet you ten bucks DCA is a totally different place by it's tenth anniversary in 2011.
    I'll bet you ten bucks it won't be "DCA" in ten years.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I'll bet you ten bucks it won't be "DCA" in ten years.
    Double or nothing...it will improve AND keep the California theme.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Who's betting here? How many Disney dollars are we talking?

I talked with some friends that work at DCA ... they said that there is a bunch of sace behind the Sunshine plaza and thus they are tearing the Sun to push things back and make the whole area there open. They are also planning on taking out golden gate bridge... but they don't know what to replace it with... yet. That's all my friends knew at the time... i'll give more info when they find out more.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I always liked the Golden Gate ... but if something better can be implemented I'm all for it. I never realized the sun was supposed to be "rising" over the Golden Gate either... it's all just a bad, muddled entrance. The Murals are nice, but really just don't ...fit. I think what Al described on his update concerning this re-do sounded decent... I dont know, I think the placemaking over in HPB is really nice and all but this all just seems to be too little, too late if you ask me.

It's exciting to see new life being breathed into the park - but what about some evidence of some active work on new attractions that actually contribute and enhance the theme of the park?
    Agree 100% The entrance is fine for right now, fix the bigger problems first- the entrance can wait a year ot two.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Hilarious!

Personally, I've grown attached to the Golden Gate Bridge, although seeing a giant monorail train blast through the miniaturized span is still a bit of a jolt.

Personally, I also love the Sunshine Plaza, even though I've also always realized that very few understand or appreciate it. How many of you have noticed the wonderful beach glass embeded in the ground treatment, or realized that the fountain actually replicates the sound of sets of waves crashing on a beach? And very few people are aware that the "free-form planters" are representations of artist Otis Shepard's work in designing the famous serpintine wall along the beach in Avalon back in the early 1930s. I saw, recognized, and understood these elements on my first visit to DCA, but my grandparent's had a house on Catalina Island while I was growing up so I had a bit of an advantage over the average DCA guest in appreciating these concepts. These design elemets are beautiful, but perhaps too subtle, which is why this section of the park just never made much of an impact on visitors.

I've always loved the feel upon entering this park; the sound of the crashing waves, walking over beach glass, California music playing around me. Though I understand the decisions for the placemaking project (and Craftsman is my favorite style, so I know I'll be happy), I will very, very much miss what is being replaced. Maybe these displaced elements could be transplanted to Paradise Pier where they would be more beneficial in creating an appropriate atmosphere.

Regardless, if you never really noticed these things, go and appreciate them now while you still can.
    Great idea! They should definately move the murals and fountain elsewhere in the park, possibly in the route 66 area?

• Over Agrabah

I'm really gonna miss the old DCA, AND so will my friends

b/c I liked the old HPB better, tho I'm prolly the only one here. SoI'm sorta reluctant to have the whole park 'placemaked'

• Minion

Unless you liked Super Star Limo, I can't imagine how the old HPB was better.

Sorry, it's a first reaction

• Needs the smell of summer

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Agree 100% The entrance is fine for right now, fix the bigger problems first- the entrance can wait a year ot two.
    The Entrance is a big problem - people see it and they don't want to go in.

Guest A: "I know what Disney is up to! I don't want to go look at fake California Landmarks when I can just go look at some real ones!"

Point being: people look at the entrance to DCA and feel like there being suckered even before they set foot in the park. - Start at the front, and you'll get more people through the gate. Disney can do better than a funny looking Golden Gate Bridge.

Just MHO, of course.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Well let's hope it's got a real WOW factor when the new entrance is designed. I can't wait until the concept art is released...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

If we get anything.

• Baybeh!

We're stuck with the California theme, that's a given. Lets just hope the claws retract from the Disney wallet and stay that way till this eyesore of a park is fixed.

• Needs the smell of summer

Quote Originally Posted by swagdaddy
    We're stuck with the California theme, that's a given. Lets just hope the claws retract from the Disney wallet and stay that way till this eyesore of a park is fixed.
    Thats a Given? Have you actually heard that, or is that your opinion - There has been a lot of talk about a theme change. I guess we will see.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer

Actually, this is currently the biggest problem. The entrance is the first thing the guest will see, and it has to be amazing!

also.. you double post a lot...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast