Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Disneyland Freak

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Picard
    As a San Franciscian, I would be a VERY upset girl if they removed the Golden Gate Bridge Section of the Monorail Track at the entrance to DCA.
    Brace yourself now as it seems very likely that they will be axed... according to rumors of course

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Picard
    I mean, San Francisco is the number one (or two depending on who you read) US Vacation destination both in the US and the world.... Tell me a SoCal landmark thats as reckognisable worldwide as the GGB?
    Just to be a smarty... the Hollywood sign is pretty recognizable
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• The Candidate

If this project is as big as it seems, the entrance is going to be a real mess. With the Hollywood Backlot, they were able to block off that section of the park. This isn't going to be possible at the entrance.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Well they'd plan for that, because yes it could become a nightmare. More than likely they'd do one half of the main entrance corridor at a time that way instead of having you snake through the middle of two rehabs you'd just go around one. At least for a good chunk of the work.
    Like the monorail. Instead of just shutting it down for good straight out they are keeping what they can open as long as they can.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I just Want the Construction...I would really love to see the final projects...Then my frend will finally let me drag him over to DCA...he might actually walk on his own...lol

• Banned User

For dca (i got this off another board from another person plus some ideas stated in this thread) extend the entrance out into the entry plaza and add a mission style train station. Add a rail loop around dca with a couple of train stops. Add 4 more locomotives to the Drr roster as well as a few more sets of cars(including an new version of retlaw one) and make it a transportation system like the one that encircles disneyland now. A spurline would be added so trains can get to the dca loop during park hours but wouldn't switch parks during park hours) One of the new engines could be named ollie johnston and the others after members of the big four or theodore Judah(all important in california railroad history[except ollie johnston who was a disney rail buff like kimball and had a small backyard layout])

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

A rail system @ DCA would be wonderful....and I just realised...They are moving Golden dreams...and it seems like they may turn that into the Queue For the said Incredibles ride

• Disneyland Freak

The said incredibles ride is supposed to be built in the Tough to be a Bug stage area.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    One thing they could do after they remove the sun would be to have mics that would pick up any complaints and then aim those solar mirrors at the offending guest. After a few nay sayers burst into flames, people might start treating DCA with respect. That, or they could just add a few killer E-Tickets and work on sight lines.
    Hilarious!

Personally, I've grown attached to the Golden Gate Bridge, although seeing a giant monorail train blast through the miniaturized span is still a bit of a jolt.

Personally, I also love the Sunshine Plaza, even though I've also always realized that very few understand or appreciate it. How many of you have noticed the wonderful beach glass embeded in the ground treatment, or realized that the fountain actually replicates the sound of sets of waves crashing on a beach? And very few people are aware that the "free-form planters" are representations of artist Otis Shepard's work in designing the famous serpintine wall along the beach in Avalon back in the early 1930s. I saw, recognized, and understood these elements on my first visit to DCA, but my grandparent's had a house on Catalina Island while I was growing up so I had a bit of an advantage over the average DCA guest in appreciating these concepts. These design elemets are beautiful, but perhaps too subtle, which is why this section of the park just never made much of an impact on visitors.

I've always loved the feel upon entering this park; the sound of the crashing waves, walking over beach glass, California music playing around me. Though I understand the decisions for the placemaking project (and Craftsman is my favorite style, so I know I'll be happy), I will very, very much miss what is being replaced. Maybe these displaced elements could be transplanted to Paradise Pier where they would be more beneficial in creating an appropriate atmosphere.

Regardless, if you never really noticed these things, go and appreciate them now while you still can.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    For dca (i got this off another board from another person plus some ideas stated in this thread) extend the entrance out into the entry plaza and add a mission style train station. Add a rail loop around dca with a couple of train stops. Add 4 more locomotives to the Drr roster as well as a few more sets of cars(including an new version of retlaw one) and make it a transportation system like the one that encircles disneyland now. A spurline would be added so trains can get to the dca loop during park hours but wouldn't switch parks during park hours) One of the new engines could be named ollie johnston and the others after members of the big four or theodore Judah(all important in california railroad history[except ollie johnston who was a disney rail buff like kimball and had a small backyard layout])
    A railroad circling DCA would take up more real estate then you think, and would require massive alterations to infrastructure (take a good hard look at aerial images of the parks and then try to superimpose a layout!).

Besides... it would be utterly redundant. Why have a near replica of a signature Magic Kingdom attraction a couple hundred feet away from the original?!? Especially when that money could be spent on projects that actually make DCA unique...

Kill this idea... quick.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

*bang*...oopse I shot the locomotive Idea....CABLE CARS!!!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I hate the way The Incredibles ride sounds, unless they had like a full track layout that the robocoaster took you through...otherwise, NO!

• MouseGuide.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    The said incredibles ride is supposed to be built in the Tough to be a Bug stage area.
    I thought it was going to be built in some backstage parking area?

• Disneyland Freak

According to rumor it will be wharf-themed Incredibles attraction and extend the wharf themeing past the MIssion Tortilla Factory.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

• Long Distance Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by I_am_hilsbro
    *bang*...oopse I shot the locomotive Idea....CABLE CARS!!!
    Actually, I was thinking the same thing, only as an attraction, but if they used them as actually transportation, all the better!

Also, do I dare hope for something themed after Princess Diaries (perhaps a Genovian restaurant) in the San Francisco area?

• Long Distance Imagineer

Here's something to think about for the Paradise Pier area, what carnival doesn't have a pipe organ?

http://www.organstoppizza.com/

It's my favorite place to go on my birthdays.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast