Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

Wow... are they going to retheme it to three loose lands, then? Forest, sea and Hollywood?
    It all seems so general and not CA specific, which I suppose is the intent... I still don't like it though.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Wow... are they going to retheme it to three loose lands, then? Forest, sea and Hollywood?
    Disneyland Resort update in three words... Forest, Sea, Hollywood.

You got it babe. Maybe an abbreviated DisneySea could fill out the Timon Parking lot and maybe one more Hollywood attraction and bingo...

Forest Sea and Hollywood might be easier to market... and it might be a more cohesive theme park, so you may be on to something there...

PS (Now I am hypothesizing, about adding DisneySea in the remaining parking lot. But it is one "land" that hasn't been done anywhere else in SoCal... Six Flags, Universal, etc.)

• Disneyland Freak

For the Princess Diaries maybe they could do like a Gourmet Genovian Pear stall or cart or something.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Condor Flats and the desert area are getting forested.
    The redwood area is hands-down my favorite place in the park, so I have no complaints about expanding the craftsman style all over....

....but unless I'm mistaken, aren't trees and airplanes an odd mix?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Soarin' was always supposed to be hang gliding, so I don't have a problem losing the desert landing strip concept. I think the Soarin' hangar could be themed to look like an abandoned hanger in a forest...not sure why one would be built in a forest, but they could take the desert theme and transform it into a forest clearing type theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    Soarin' was always supposed to be hang gliding, so I don't have a problem losing the desert landing strip concept. I think the Soarin' hangar could be themed to look like an abandoned hanger in a forest...not sure why one would be built in a forest, but they could take the desert theme and transform it into a forest clearing type theme.
    The contraption in Soarin' over California is supposed to be equipment in a flight test facility.

If Disney starts muddling its design ideas even further, will the place be a Disney theme park, anymore?

The problem with the park is that it has weak ideas that need to be strengthened. Adding more forest just weakens these ideas even further.

The desert airfield is romantic, evocative, and very unique. And, the variety of California's landscapes is part of its appeal. The airplanes are so unlike anything Disney has done elsewhere that I would hate to see them lost.

Leave the airfield alone, Disney. Fix Paradise Pier and Route 66 where the real problems ly.

• Banned User

"The airplanes are so unlike anything Disney has done elsewhere "

There is an airplane at Disney Seas

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I didn't initially like the idea of retheming Condor Flats, but I've done some thinking and am beginning to see why it could be a good idea.

I remember the very first time I went to California Adventure and loved this area of the park, but the clash between the desert setting and the huge GCH behind it unsettling. Extending the theme would fix that problem.

Condor Flats has nothing notable about it aside from Soarin', so a retheme would not muddle any complex storytelling.

Also, and most importantly, Condor Flats is the only landlocked area in all of DCA. There is absolutely no room for it to grow unless it devours the areas on either side of it. Removing the desert theme here allows for a desert land elsewhere in the park where the theme can fully be explored, rather than tethered to an airstrip storyline.

If it is removed, I think it is extremely important that a new desert area is built. California is divided into four regions: the mountains in the North and the East, the coast in the West, the fertile Central Valley in the middle, and the deserts in the South. All of the areas are covered presently, and I hope it stays that way.

My apologies, I've never figured that Soarin' was supposed to be a flight tech test ride. If that is the case, I think they need to expand on that a WHOLE lot more than they have to make it more apparent.

I'd always had the idea, via the movement and smells, that it was supposed to be a sitting (laying down in anything capable of properly restraining people on something that moves 40 feet or so into the air would have been difficult) representation of a magical hang glide over the "best of" California. If you really are testing flight technology, where do the smells fit in?

• Circle of Ancients

There is a gate next to Soarin' that is used for emergencies (the fire dept used it when Soarin' had the fire during the AP preview days).

Maybe this could be used as the entrance while they are redoing the entry-plaza.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I hate the idea of foresting the Condor Flats area.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well Al Lutz says the desert is going bye bye.

I think the Grand Californian hotel guests just want forest views.

Well, Tower of Terror and the part of Paradise Pier that is visible botches that wish=P

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

very true....but it will be nice to see a unified theme

• nothing like the sun

I remember the very first time I went to California Adventure and loved this area of the park, but the clash between the desert setting and the huge GCH behind it unsettling. Extending the theme would fix that problem.
    Condor Flats would be fine if it didn't run straight into a hotel. I know a lot of people find the area to be some hideous concrete wasteland, but being an air force brat, the landscape of my childhood consisted mostly of concrete. My mom, who still frequently brags about how she soloed before she could drive, just adores the theming. There's all this nifty retro aviation stuff and then...there's a big hotel sitting there. It's like running into a brick wall. Or concrete wall. Whichever you prefer.

So I'd prefer they kept the theme, but they need to do something about the way it flows into surrounding areas.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast