Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

• MouseGuide.com

DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

I don't know if you guys have heard or not, but Sunshine Plaza is the next are of renovation. Supposedly it is going to be a bigger project than was done in HPB.

I heard they are planning on enlarging the area, but that is not confirmed. I also heard that the aluminum sun will be scraped.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Re: DCA Improvements - Sunshine Plaza

I am very excited about this phase of the remodel project! I can't wait to see what they are going to do, this area of the park lacks in many ways.

I am concerned about what will take the aluminum sun's place though, as it is a part of the overall effect of the front gate. You know, the way the sun looks like it's rising over the Golden Gate bridge. If the put a new building there, it'll ruin the effect.

After seeing what they did with the Backlot, though, I'm absolutely positive the people in charge know what they're doing and will do a good job.

It's gold titanium.

I happen to love the broken-tile planters, the water feature, and the California Sun.

The planters are vaguely reminiscent of Watts Towers, and I think most of this space is really interesting.

The problem area of this park is Paradise Pier, so Disney should focus its efforts there, especially, on Route 66.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-29-2005 at 04:00 PM.

I need a day at DCA now.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The Fantasyland guy

When are the dates of construction? does it start after the holiday rush?

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    I am concerned about what will take the aluminum sun's place though, as it is a part of the overall effect of the front gate. You know, the way the sun looks like it's rising over the Golden Gate bridge. If the put a new building there, it'll ruin the effect.
    It won't matter because they're going to be getting rid of the Golden Gate bridge anyway.
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer8689
    It won't matter because they're going to be getting rid of the Golden Gate bridge anyway.
    ????

Where are you getting that information?

I like the entry to DCA! I like the whole "picture postcard" look and enjoy the plaza!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Banned User

Does anyone know how soon the work is to begin?

I think it is awesome that DCA is really trying to address the existing problems while growing. I think it would be a colossal failure if they stopped adding rides and attractions while cosmetically overhauling the park. I think DCA would be an awesome park, only though if they continue to do to the rest of the park like they did to HPB.

• Minion

DCA has always suffered from a truly weak "first act": a cheesy-looking gateway from the murals to the golden gate to the hubcap.

I remember some alternate plans that showed a gorgeous. lush and welcoming mission-revival style "Santa Barbara" building/train station as the gateway. I do hope they are going in that direction. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the central hub icon too.

I surely applaud them for taking these steps to change the course of DCA's disastrous and depressing design.

If a solid concept has been developed that connects the entry better to Disneyland, then I will be happy.

The larger-than-life postcard was a horrible idea that practically screamed "tourist trap". And, the Golden Gate Bridge for the monorail bothered me from the very outset when I first saw the conceptual artwork.

Disney would do well to lose both the postcard idea and the Golden Gate Bridge, especially since it conveys the sense that the new park is filled with ersatz landmarks.

I do realize that D.C.A.'s version of the bridge is meant to be a postcard visualization, but the actual look of the structure is not stylized enough for the effect to be achieved successfully.

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    Maybe they're removing the bridge too
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Oh, I forgot to mention the letters that complete the postcard.

They need to go, too.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I always liked the Golden Gate ... but if something better can be implemented I'm all for it. I never realized the sun was supposed to be "rising" over the Golden Gate either... it's all just a bad, muddled entrance. The Murals are nice, but really just don't ...fit. I think what Al described on his update concerning this re-do sounded decent... I dont know, I think the placemaking over in HPB is really nice and all but this all just seems to be too little, too late if you ask me.

It's exciting to see new life being breathed into the park - but what about some evidence of some active work on new attractions that actually contribute and enhance the theme of the park?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

^ I think the Letters are the only thing that they did right.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

^ agree'd!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast