Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking a Haunted Mansion first-timer :)

For our trip beginning on June 14th-18th, my boyfriend and I have passes to the 14th media event and also three day park hoppers for the other days.
    We are very excited, but I'M excited because even though we have been twice together, there is one ride he has yet to experience...

THE HAUNTED MANSION.

Flashback to January, 2011 - HM is closed for taking down Christmas decorations
    Fast forward to September, 2011 - HM is AGAIN closed, this time for putting up the halloween/xmas decorations.

talk about bad timing

Fast forward to June 15th, 2012 - HM goes down for maintenance. Just watch.

Just kidding, I don't want to jinx it.

- he gets to ride HM for the first time ever!

and it will be awesome as I know how much he loves POC, and it is a similar ride in my opinion.
    One of the classics as well.
    Just wanted to share my excitement about this. This might be the highlight of my trip, even over Carsland.
    Because to me, something amazing like that which was built dozens of years ago is very impressive in contrast to something amazing that was built recently.
    That being said, I'm still very very excited for Carsland!

Re: Taking a Haunted Mansion first-timer :)

I know what you mean!! HM is definitely one of my top 5 rides. I'm bringing my boyfriend with me for his first trip and although I'm just generally excited for him to see all of it for the first time (and it will be my first time seeing DCA!) HM is one of the rides I'm most excited for!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    I know what you mean!! HM is definitely one of my top 5 rides. I'm bringing my boyfriend with me for his first trip and although I'm just generally excited for him to see all of it for the first time (and it will be my first time seeing DCA!) HM is one of the rides I'm most excited for!
    taking a first-timer?! jealous. Our January, 2011 trip was when I was lucky enough to take my bf for his first trip as well.

First ride was Indiana Jones, I'll always remember.

Have tons of fun and don't miss out on anything!

• Walt Sent Me

You might want to wait until right before the park closes before taking him. You'll have a better chance of experiencing the mansion without the annual passholders that think it's cool to recite the stretching room spiel along with the Ghost Host. His first memories of the mansion shouldn't be of obnoxious people.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneYouDontKnow View Post
    You might want to wait until right before the park closes before taking him. You'll have a better chance of experiencing the mansion without the annual passholders that think it's cool to recite the stretching room spiel along with the Ghost Host. His first memories of the mansion shouldn't be of obnoxious people.

...oh how I hate that. Yes, I say it in my car. alone. when I listen to it on my ipod.
    I wouldn't dare do this on the ride as it's incredibly annoying.

"YOUR CADAVEROUS PALLOR BETRAYS AN AURA OF FOREBODING...ALMOST AS THOUGH YOU SENSE A DISQUIETING METAMORPHOSIS. " - favorite line.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    . . . "YOUR CADAVEROUS PALLOR BETRAYS AN AURA OF FOREBODING...ALMOST AS THOUGH YOU SENSE A DISQUIETING METAMORPHOSIS. " - favorite line.
    I've used this when teaching vocabulary. The HM has the best vocabulary of any Disney attraction.
    (I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I've used this when teaching vocabulary. The HM has the best vocabulary of any Disney attraction.
    (I think.)
    really? that's so cool! are you a teacher?

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneYouDontKnow View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, wait till late at night when no one is on the attraction. If the turn out is low enough you probably could even ask the CM to ride the elevator and go in the portrait room alone which is the holy grail of experiences at the park, something I have only done once out of hundreds of visits. Just explain how you don't want other visitors screams to ruin his first experience.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, wait till late at night when no one is on the attraction. If the turn out is low enough you probably could even ask the CM to ride the elevator and go in the portrait room alone which is the holy grail of experiences at the park, something I have only done once out of hundreds of visits. Just explain how you don't want other visitors screams to ruin his first experience.
    i agree! i hate riding Haunted Mansion full of screamers when im trying to show off

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• formerly very helpful

It really is a special treat to be able to enjoy your favorite attraction through the eyes of a first timer! In the past 13 years, it seems my wife and I had to keep having kids to be able to do this!
    The only problem with waiting until the end of the day is then you don't have as many chances to ride it again and again later.
    I'd say get there at opening, and hit it first thing. It will still be practically empty, since most people will head to the Disneyland mountain range or Indiana Jones (families with kids will go to Fantasyland).

• Minion

cool so excited taking my aunt and uncle their two kids and my aunts friend which means I'm taking 5 first timers and I cant express how excited I am to take them to see evrything for the first time I love first timers

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Lighting Design Lover

I love watching first timer's reactions in the stretching room...they just stand there in awe

Something to think about, since everyone is saying to take him at night...I find at night, because my eyes are already adjusted to the dark, HM isn't quite as good (it seems less spooky and sometimes I feel like I can see things, because my eyes were already adjusted, that I couldn't otherwise....just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    I love watching first timer's reactions in the stretching room...they just stand there in awe

Something to think about, since everyone is saying to take him at night...I find at night, because my eyes are already adjusted to the dark, HM isn't quite as good (it seems less spooky and sometimes I feel like I can see things, because my eyes were already adjusted, that I couldn't otherwise....just a thought!

yeah, that's what I was thinking! that it would be better during the day, just like POC because it's light outside and dark inside.

But to all the others who said I should try it at night, I'm definitely going to give it a try because I don't his experience marred by some idiots who think they are cool.

Its good you get to go before the holiday overlay. It is kind of cool, but the original is so much better. I think I went on the ride for the first time when I was 6 and I was scared. Now its my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Its good you get to go before the holiday overlay. It is kind of cool, but the original is so much better. I think I went on the ride for the first time when I was 6 and I was scared. Now its my favorite.
    I wholeheartedly agree, I don't dislike the holiday version but I do like the original so much more. Probably because when I was younger that's the version that I remember so it is dear to my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast