Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

the situation with GAC's.

Alright I hope I don't make a bunch of people mad with this, but really something needs to be done about this.
    We all know that there are several people per day who visit DL in wheelchairs who don't actually need them.
    We've heard it, we've seen it, everybody knows it, but what can be done?

There's no doctor's note required to get a GAC. There's nothing required. All you have to do is go into City Hall and say you need one, and you get one.
    This is because of some law I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that says it's illegal to question people about why they are handicapped? Or something along the lines of that.

I am in no way advocating we should get rid of GAC cards. I know people need them because some lines aren't accessible. I also know that there are people who are in wheelchairs for a variety of medical reasons. I also realize many people are handicapped mentally and still require a GAC card and that's perfectly fine.

You all know who I'm talking about. Not to generalize, but I'm talking about those (often) teenagers who think they can pull a fast one and get an instant fastpass onto all the rides with a GAC. Or people who are just plain lazy and cruise around in a wheelchair.

I don't know if there's any quick fix to this. Or a fix at all. But lately, as in, the last ten years, it's gotten out of control in my opinion. Motorized scooters carrying around people and then I see them pop right up and laugh about how they are awesome because they lied about being handicapped. It's insane.

• Minion

Re: the situation with GAC's.

I believe it's a violation of HIPPA laws to ask for medical information. Based on my observation, I don't believe it's gotten out of control. The handicapped accessible entrance is not a FP entrance. I have gone at times where the party (me) has been asked to wait in the standby line and when I reached the front of the line my friend in a chair joined me. I also had the privilege of accompanying a young girl with cancer, bald from chemo and it was visually clear that she was ill. More than once we had other people in the handicapped line ask us to go in front of them so she didn't have to wait. And finally, visiting the parks with another friend who uses a chair, even all of us waiting in the handicapped line is not a sure ticket to speed, particularly when there are only a few ride vehicles that are handicapped-accessible. And at DCA, all lines are handicapped-accessible.

I just don't feel like I've waited significantly longer for guests who use GACs. Is it annoying to wait the whole line and get to the front and have a vehicle full of guests who "look" healthy get in front of me? I guess, but really, it's not like I've had to wait an extra hour or something. My experience has been that CMs are very conscientious about spacing out guests with GACs alternating with FP or standby lines.

There are many hidden disabilities, and I think the "lazy" people who abuse the system are very much in the minority. Call me an optimist, but it's actually kind of a pain in the rear to navigate the park in a chair so I think very few do it when they don't have to. I just don't feel like I've had to wait significantly longer for people "abusing" the GAC policy.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

There is nothing Disney can do about that. If they ask for some sort of proof, it would be considered discrimination. It has to be a really good reason to be able to issue a GAC. The best suggestion that Disney can give is to get a wheelchair or ECV. There is nothing anyone can do to stop the abuse of the GAC.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

The worst offenders I see are adults. I saw a middle aged couple in line going over what to tell the city hall cast member

Wife: Remember what to tell her?
    Husband: Yes
    Wife: Remember that you get nervous in lines and handle the crowds.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

solution is just to make GAC users wait as long as standby, period. they wait in the accessible line, away from crowds, but they wait as long as if they came in via standby. there is simply no reason to deny someone a GAC if they truly need one and you will never be able to differentiate between real cases and frauds, but on the other hand, there is no reason to give GAC groups a front of the line ticket, or even a faster one.

I am 19 and I have a horrible ankle problem from an injury. Some days it's better than others and I don't usually have to wear a boot. However, if i'm going all day with friends and they plan on closing out the park, I have to wear my boot and get a GAC, simply because I cannot stand too long in one place without moving. I'll collapse as I have before.

Legally, no, they cannot ask why you need one, and I agree that it is somewhat abused, but I am very thankful for the rides it is valid for. People give me looks all the time because I guess it doesnt look like I need one.

I think that they should lower the limit of the number of people it is good for, and if there are more than say 3 people in the person's party, they can go in and have a seat while they wait for their party to come up in the line. That might lower the abuse...
    "They can't order me to stop dreaming..."

• -

First off, there are many hidden disabilities so the person you see in the chair who looks perfectly healthy may actually really need that card.

Secondly, let's say for arguement's sake that Disney did require a person to show proof of injury. If a person was traveling from out of state and forgot their proof at home should they just be SOL and have to limp or crawl around te park? I know I would be happy to represent them in that ADA suite.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just good enough

Yes, HIPAA laws that are in place, as mentioned previously do not require/allow DLR to ask for any sort of legitimate use for the GAC. The GACs are around and exist for a valid reason for those they serve.

For those that don't use the GAC for its intended purpose, it goes along the same lines for those people that choose to use their Fastpasses outside their allotted timeframe. There will always be an amount of abuse with any given system, it's the hope that most people have the decency to not be willing to abuse said systems for their own personal gain.

Besides, what's the point of getting on rides ASAP? The whole point is to experience DLR in of itself as a vacation destination. There is no need to rush onto rides when you have full days to enjoy them (for those abusing the system). Why do this to yourself? Sit back and relax. Unless you can't stand the people you are with and don't want to be around them in line for an extended period of time.

In all honesty I see very little abuse of the GACs during my trips to the resort, and I've never felt compelled to say that someone is abusing it. For the percentage of people that visit the parks, a very small amount of people use the GAC, and even then a very small percentage abuses them.

I'm just lucky/grateful I have the health I do that doesn't require a GAC when I visit the parks. That's the upside of having to wait in a queue the proper amount of time, but I guess it's worth it.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

I think they're done a good job making a fair compromise for most of the D and E ticket rides. However, on the A-C ticket rides, most of which already have smaller capacity anyways, the GAC still acts as basically a front of line pass. They really need to limit how many people are allowed on each GAC. If you have 6 adults in your party I don't see why you can't have 2 people wait in line and then have the rest of your party meet you at the front of the line. I would actually prefer this setup since I often go to the park with friends who have a disabled child. We pretty much never use their GAC on attractions such as Pirates because, as others have pointed out, the GAC line can be longer than the standby. I'd gladly stand in line and meet them at the exit since it will probably be a shorter wait.

I'm not there frequently enough to comment on the abuse but as for limiting the passes -

In my circle of friends we all happen to be legally blind. There's a large chance 4 or 5 of us will travel in a group together. Some of us have multiple disabilities (stairs are fast becoming my mortal enemy). It's hard to split up our group because while yes, some may be able to wait in the regular line there's small chance of us finding each other easily.

Also, as silly as this sounds given the above statement - I wish I could do the regular lines, because they are generally a lot more interesting to look at/interact with than sitting and waiting in the accessible area.

I don't think the GAC should be a front of the line pass - except in Make A Wish/similar circumstances. It bothers me that people abuse it, and I'm sure plenty do.

I suspect they view it the same as handicapped parking spots; able-bodied drives don't believe they're hurting anybody by taking them, despite the facts otherwise.

I don't think there is an easy answer to this.
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

There will always be people who try to game the system. Always. And not just at Disneyland. Its just a part of humanity that some people think they are above the law or privileged or whatever. Sure its annoying but I'm never going to be able to control it, so for the most part I don't even let thoughts about it into my world to let it mess up my day. I'm not going to give the cheaters that much power over my happiness.

And besides, like has already been stated, legally Disney can not make anyone prove they need one, and there are many disabilities that have no obvious outward signs. Fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis are two that come to mind.

And on a side note putting my mod hat on for a second.........

DO NOT even start the discussion about people of a certain habitus using scoters or this thread will end up the exact same place that every other thread about GAC's has ended up.....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• formerly very helpful

Although there are some who abuse this - and it's gotten me pretty mad when I've seen it - I think it's fairly rare. Having visited with people who have disabilities, I can tell you there's no better way of being invisible to crowds of people than by sitting in a wheelchair. My friends are generally ignored (not by cast members), people get in front of them in lines for food as if they aren't there, or simply dont make room for them to maneuvre their chairs, often not hearing a polite "excuse me."
    Also, many of the special needs lines get much longer than the standby lines. Also, you sometimes have to miss out on some really awesome scenery, such as Star Tours.
    Also, also, many people who require special privilages do not look like they need them. My wife suffers from arthritis and knee problems, which can tend to get bad when she's been walking for a long, long time. When we were in WDW,after many days of walking and humidity, she needed a chair. Got a lot of dirty looks from people who thought they new better.
    My son had heart issues and wasn't able to stand for too long and required a special needs pass. He looked perfectly normal, but until he had his stent, the doctor ordered no standing in a single position for long periods of time. Of course, after the doctor cleared him he got a lesson in ethics when we explained why he couldn't keep using the pass.

• former CM

A high school student I taught bragged about how she did this at Disneyland.
    I made her feel guilty. She was usually pretty great, so I think she stopped.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    A high school student I taught bragged about how she did this at Disneyland.
    I made her feel guilty. She was usually pretty great, so I think she stopped.
    Kudos for taking advantage of such a teachable moment!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    Alright I hope I don't make a bunch of people mad with this, but really something needs to be done about this.
    Kinda sorta.

First, it's not required to show proof of a disability, however, companies like DLR are legally allowed to question the validity of a person's request for a GAC (though this must be done very carefully so as not to cross the line of requiring proof). GAC's aren't entitlements. Guest Relations will give someone a GAC based on THEIR ASSESSMENT of the type of assistance a person needs. That said, there are plenty of people who have learned what answers to give (in other words, they lie) in order to get the GAC they want.

Second, just showing up with a GAC from a previous day won't guarantee you'll get the same GAC again. They will assess your need at the time of your request for that day only.

Third, I completely agree that the abuse is rampant. I personally would love to see the current administration in Washington address this issue by supporting a bill that woudl require proof in the same manner that one requires proof to park in a handicapped parking space. The current law, IMO, places an undue burden on businesses.

Last, and a little off topic, the issue of handicapped stalls in restrooms. Folks, if you're in a wheelchair or ecv, no, you can't cut in the line of people waiting to do their business. If you need to go that bad, get there sooner and wait just like everyone else.

One of the reasons I love DCA so much is because all the queues are fully wheelchair and ecv accessible. When I'm approached by a Guest who is clearly looking to bypass the line, I love saying with a big smile on my face, "That's not a problem. The queue is able to accommodate you, so you'll have no difficulty at all during the wait time". That aside, most people with disabilities (which I have two in my family) just wanted to be treated like everyone else, and if they have the opportunity to wait in line like everyone else with the rest of their party, they're more than happy to do so.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast